VATS problems

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands

VATS problems

Post by fallout ranger »

Just some shit i wanna bitch about

1. Cant move/do jack shit, that includes avoid shooting 20 rounds at an enemy that moved behind a concrete wall.

2. Player takes no damage

3. If said player COULD take damage, you're fucked since you can't move

4. WTF happened to groin shots?
does this work
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: VATS problems

Post by jetbaby »

fallout ranger wrote:Just some shit i wanna bitch about
1. Cant move/do jack shit, that includes avoid shooting 20 rounds at an enemy that moved behind a concrete wall.
Meh. You're not noticing the bigger issue.

2. Player takes no damage
Incorrect. 10% of standard damage is applied, as I recall.

3. If said player COULD take damage, you're fucked since you can't move
Review above.

4. WTF happened to groin shots?
Groin shots were announced as not being in the game in 2008 by Emil via Bethsoft forums (brought to you not by some awesome file of retarded Fallout 3 development quotes I brood over, but rather by Briosafreak's long-since dead blog):
Quick answers — no groin shots because it took long enough for us to get the other body parts balanced. And we were afraid the groin shots would instantly change the tone to “goofy� — so they didn’t make the cut.
Because the Fat Man, teddy bear launcher, voice acting, main story, plot as a whole, most side quests, plethora of glitches, VATS itself, or pretty much any other gameplay, story, or design element didn't contribute to that in much greater, more grand fashion.

Another quote of awesome on VATS as a whole follows:
It certainly wasn’t the case that we came up with a concept, put it into the game, and said, “There it is! It’s perfect� The road from paper design to implementation was loooonngg…. So regardless of what the paper design was, for us, that’s always just the beginning. The one thing you have to realize is that anything can look good on paper. Anything. In a written doc, you can justify your arguments, tighten any logic errors, dot your i’s and cross your t’s… but if you get it into the game, and it sucks (and it often does!) you have to change it. Most of the “bad’ games I’ve played are bad not because they’ve been crappy ideas, but because they haven’t been properly executed. It’s as if the developers were so blinded by the the awesomeness of their ideas on paper, they couldn’t accept that those same ideas just did not translate into fun gameplay. It’s an easy trap to fall into, and every developer has at one point or another, myself included.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
fallout ranger

Re: VATS problems

Post by fallout ranger »

jetbaby wrote: Incorrect. 10% of standard damage is applied, as I recall.
Close enough to not matter.

jetbaby wrote:...teddy bear launcher...

:dizzy:

Meh. You're not noticing the bigger issue.

Din't feel like writing 10 pages.
does this work
Our Host!