Online gaming

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Intense. Life's hard in Australia, eh?
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Do skid marks appear on the front side in Australia? :?
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

They can if you wear your underwear backwards for longevity. Remember; you can wear your underwear 4 times before washing: Forwards, Backwards, In-Side-Out Forwards, In-side-out Backwards.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

cazsim83 wrote:
Haris wrote:Yes there is a skill called fishing in uo wich you can use on all shores for fishing, and you can buy a boat and sail around the world and fish. Sometimes you fish up ruble containing some rare stuff like tresure maps than you got to find a player that has a skill called cartography so he can make the map readable.
actually sailing around the world fishing seems like a pretty neat way to pass the time - if the world was fully realized (like buildings being built while you were gone and such) it would be cool to be gone from the land/city areas for 2 or 3 months, come back full of fish lewt, and see all the new stuff that was there.

Unfortunately, I doubt it'll happen with any of the current MMOs...
Well uo housing system works similar to sims games. So if you where gone at sea for 3 months in real time there would sure be new homes, shops and castles build in all over the main land and bounch of buildings owned by players that quited would be eather gone or owned by new players with new furniture.

But honestly fishing might sound fun, but not for 3 months. There are more fun things to do in uo. Like cutting wood and making furniture out of it to sell to houseowners. Posibly if you went out to sea with a ship as a warrior with fishing skills. Than you could be a pirate attacking other peoples ships and stealing their fish.

Owning a weapons and armors shop is by far most fun in that game.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

UO: Wasteland Merc Origins
...signatures? WTF?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Speaking of Ultima, I just fired up my 3rd playthrough of U7/Exult on my new laptop. Keeps me busy during those lazy hours when I should do something useful.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

VasikkA wrote:Speaking of Ultima, I just fired up my 3rd playthrough of U7/Exult on my new laptop. Keeps me busy during those lazy hours when I should do something useful.
Uo is most similar to ultima 7. Thats why it beats most modern mmorpgs. Everything in the game is interactive, even the grass on the ground. Plus music is same in uo and U7 and graphics made by same artist just bit more advanced in uo. Kinda fallout 2/balurs gate quiality.

Blah see for your self.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txsNn6PE ... re=related
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Ultima Online had returned....sort of:
Not content with kicking sand in the face of Wing Commander fans with the dreadful Wing Commander Arena, EA is now turning its attention towards bringing us a new game based on the Ultima franchise.

Look, EA, when I said I'd like a new Ultima game, I meant a new Ultima game. Not...this.

Meet Lord of Ultima, a "game where you build your own unique city and play with thousands of other players". It's been developed by Phenomic, the team behind Battleforge, and while I have no idea how it plays (the beta servers are currently full), I know one thing.

EA needs to stop this.

Ultima is not a house-hold name. It's well-known in PC circles, yes, but as a role-playing game. So why dig it up only to completely misuse it? It is, like Wing Commander, a nostalgic indulgence. People remember the series for what it was, and for what it did around the time of its release.

Lords of Ultima could be great, I don't know, I haven't played it. But I know that, as an Ultima fan - surely the type of person EA is trying to appeal to by using the brand name - I don't much care for the way a cherished brand is being plastered over something completely unrelated.
http://kotaku.com/5457910/ultima-return ... e-bad-news
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Haris wrote:Uo is most similar to ultima 7. Thats why it beats most modern mmorpgs. Everything in the game is interactive, even the grass on the ground. Plus music is same in uo and U7 and graphics made by same artist just bit more advanced in uo. Kinda fallout 2/balurs gate quiality.
The thing is, I can't stand MMO's.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

King of Creation wrote:Ultima Online had returned....sort of:
Not content with kicking sand in the face of Wing Commander fans with the dreadful Wing Commander Arena, EA is now turning its attention towards bringing us a new game based on the Ultima franchise.

Look, EA, when I said I'd like a new Ultima game, I meant a new Ultima game. Not...this.

Meet Lord of Ultima, a "game where you build your own unique city and play with thousands of other players". It's been developed by Phenomic, the team behind Battleforge, and while I have no idea how it plays (the beta servers are currently full), I know one thing.

EA needs to stop this.

Ultima is not a house-hold name. It's well-known in PC circles, yes, but as a role-playing game. So why dig it up only to completely misuse it? It is, like Wing Commander, a nostalgic indulgence. People remember the series for what it was, and for what it did around the time of its release.

Lords of Ultima could be great, I don't know, I haven't played it. But I know that, as an Ultima fan - surely the type of person EA is trying to appeal to by using the brand name - I don't much care for the way a cherished brand is being plastered over something completely unrelated.
http://kotaku.com/5457910/ultima-return ... e-bad-news
That is complete bullshit. Lead designer that made Ultima 7 was working on Ultima Online. It was his idea to make it mmorpg. And no he didnt enter the bandwagon of mmorpgs. He is the actually one that invented the genre. And he got the idea when he was making ultima 7. Ultima Online is the first mmorpg that ever existed. First game to charge a monthly fee. Its even the first game to reach 100000 paying accounts, and you got to remember that it was during dialup modems era.

Dont get me wrong i am not trying to defend EA games. They fucked ultima online up badly with expansions, and original team left ultima online in protest. Original ultima online and its first expansion made by the original team was in my opinion only real mmorpg that ever existed. Everything else that tried to copy it, like WOW and Everquest are not mmorpgs. They are lame grindfest pvp/pvm mmos.

And yea i cant stand all new mmos eather. If you kill another players and you are no allowed to loot his entire gear than in my opinion its not an mmorpg.
Jim the Dinosaur
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Jim the Dinosaur »

hey haris, what do you think about the new kid on the block, bryanr, do you feel he's cramping your style or are you willing to share the limelight?
Like petals
Falling from a dying rose
So does my tears

-Smiley
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Jim the Dinosaur wrote:hey haris, what do you think about the new kid on the block, bryanr, do you feel he's cramping your style or are you willing to share the limelight?
Who is bryanr?
Jim the Dinosaur
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Jim the Dinosaur »

don't play coy haris :chick:
Like petals
Falling from a dying rose
So does my tears

-Smiley
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Hey haris...check your fucking facts
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Damn you, Stainless. I saw you log in last night but I was getting up to do something and when I sat back down you were gone.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Haris wrote:That is complete bullshit. Lead designer that made Ultima 7 was working on Ultima Online. It was his idea to make it mmorpg. And no he didnt enter the bandwagon of mmorpgs. He is the actually one that invented the genre. And he got the idea when he was making ultima 7. Ultima Online is the first mmorpg that ever existed. First game to charge a monthly fee. Its even the first game to reach 100000 paying accounts, and you got to remember that it was during dialup modems era.

Dont get me wrong i am not trying to defend EA games. They fucked ultima online up badly with expansions, and original team left ultima online in protest. Original ultima online and its first expansion made by the original team was in my opinion only real mmorpg that ever existed. Everything else that tried to copy it, like WOW and Everquest are not mmorpgs. They are lame grindfest pvp/pvm mmos.

And yea i cant stand all new mmos eather. If you kill another players and you are no allowed to loot his entire gear than in my opinion its not an mmorpg.
It's not the game mechanics per se; it's the people, and consequently what the game devolves into. You're playing against fat nerds(women are the worst) who take shit too seriously. I've had my share of MUDs in the late 90's and I've no doubt modern MMO's are any different, only probably worse.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Caleb wrote:Hey haris...check your fucking facts
You really should not use wikipedia as facts source. To begin with that game was as much mmorpg as neverwinternights was. Game with couple of houndred players is in no way masive. Than we could call doom for first mmo. That game was just a graphical mud.
It's not the game mechanics per se; it's the people, and consequently what the game devolves into. You're playing against fat nerds(women are the worst) who take shit too seriously. I've had my share of MUDs in the late 90's and I've no doubt modern MMO's are any different, only probably worse.
Modern mmo´s are mostly carebear games that encourage no animosity betwen players. If you die for example in wow nothing really happens. I guess people like different things. I loved uo for the actuall enemies you got while playing more than friends. Allso the adrenaline rush when runing away with a bag full of ore from 5 players that are trying to kill you and take it.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Well haris, it still had a montly subscription payment, persistent world, and is recognized as the first MMO, not just on wikipedia but on other sources. Check the year it was released...I just referenced wikipedia since I knew the facts already. Also, there was Meridian 59, same kind of deal...UO came later. Arguably it was the first comprehensive MMO, but, it wasn't the first to offer subscription or to set up the player interaction model.
...signatures? WTF?
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Haris wrote:
There's plenty of griefing in Fonline2238.

In fact, there's nothing else.

:drunk:
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Redeye wrote:
Haris wrote:
There's plenty of griefing in Fonline2238.

In fact, there's nothing else.

:drunk:
Yea i played it. Its more fun than wow, just needs some more work done on crafting system and the world. Might be huge if they release server program so that anyone that downloads it can create and host their own server.
Well haris, it still had a montly subscription payment, persistent world, and is recognized as the first MMO, not just on wikipedia but on other sources. Check the year it was released...I just referenced wikipedia since I knew the facts already. Also, there was Meridian 59, same kind of deal...UO came later. Arguably it was the first comprehensive MMO, but, it wasn't the first to offer subscription or to set up the player interaction model.
Still uo was the game that defined what mmorpg means. Expression mmorpg didnt even exist before uo. Plus uo had all features except online play that u7 had and u7 was release in 92/93.
Our Host!