So I'm thinking of buying a 360.

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet

So I'm thinking of buying a 360.

Post by Subhuman »

The price is lowered and I wouldn't mind getting back into games after about a seven-year hiatus. The problem is that my TV is almost as old as I am and I have no decent audio setup. Also, I wouldn't know where to begin with all the games out now. I did a bit of research (read: five minutes browsing Game Revolution between bong hits) and these sounded intriguing:

- Mass Effect
- Assassin's Creed (1 and 2)
- Dead Space
- BioShock
- Bayonetta
- Modern Warfare 2

Any opinions on the above? BioShock sounds right up my alley - I remember hearing about its similarities to the System Shock games, which were my religion back in the day. Every gamer I know won't shut the fuck up about Modern Warfare 2, and I've read nothing but raves for Assassin's Creed.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Assassin's Creed II sucked, haven't heard anything about the first. Bioshock is okay, but was marketed as a hardcore RPG and a spiritual successor to System Shock when it's not, which disappointed hardcore System Shock fans like myself. Mass Effect is good, as is Dead Space. Bayonetta looks like overhyped garbage and MW2 is overhyped garbage.

My suggestion? Buy a real computer and not that Mac trash you cling to, and the only decent game of the three decent games in the list you miss out on is Dead Space.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Re: So I'm thinking of buying a 360.

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Subhuman wrote:sounds right up my alley
Don't say that, let's keep it civil, jeez.
Retlaw83 wrote:My suggestion? Buy a real computer and not that Mac trash you cling to, and the only decent game of the three decent games in the list you miss out on is Dead Space.
Dead Space is also available for the PC. Otherwise I concur.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Every game worth buying is for the PC, which I recommend buying. Mass Effect is pretty good, as is Dead Space which definitely one of the better things to come out of EA in recent history. Bioshock is okay, I only spent $5 on it a few years ago on a Steam sale and I think its worth about that much. I would also recommend buying Left 4 Dead 2 if you know any friends that have it, but only for the PC as FPS's on consoles just don't work.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

The deal with 360's is that every game that might be worthwhile is also available on PC and generally plays better on PC with almost no exceptions.

As for Bayonetta being shit - I hear it's not too bad from friends. I've yet to play my copy as I'm busy playing other shit.
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

I agree FPSs play better on PCs, but I don't have a thousand-ish to spend on one, I loathe Windows (hence the Mac switch), and I don't feel like upgrading any video cards, processors, hard drives, memory, or the like after a few months just to play a new game - I went with consoles years ago for their plug-and-play ease. Lazy, perhaps, but I'm not a hardcore gamer and don't feel like expanding my budget to that of one.

I forgot a title: Borderlands. Anyone? It looks kind of awesome.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

The xbox is good for adventure-gaming, casual and sports games. Stick to the old compy for strategy, fps and everything else. As for the games, Mass effect is pretty gut if you play it like a virtual movie, and not so much an rpg. I had quite a lot of fun mucking about being an asshole in that game.

AssCreed 2 is just what you expect of a sequel. Bigger, badder, stronger, faster. With some gimmicks you dont give a shit about, but the kidz luv em. lol!

I would say go for it. Nothing wrong with the x-box as a product, unless you get one made by microsoft. :che:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Shooters can be well-done on a 360, but in my experience, it can be extremely difficult to overcome and adjust to the difference in controls if you have only played on a PC and not much on consoles. Once you do, however, you'll find it enjoyable. Join me and Pooper in playing the L4D2 demo
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

I found, to my bemusement, Bayonetta to be highly enjoyable. In moderation. Pleasantly asinine.

Mass Effect was soporific. Bioware games seem interchangeable with regard to narrative, themes, characters and, consequently, quality. While some may appreciate this banal consistency, I am not of that number.

Dead Space may hold some tense moments. Visceral. Punting clone babies was a joy. Found the DRM objectionable on principle.

The only strengths of Bioshock are art direction and atmosphere, the latter only superficially. It is the foetal alcohol syndrome addled distant cousin to System Shock 2, just replay that instead. A pretender. Draconian DRM again.

Assassin's Creed 1 is extremely repetitious. A pity the content itself was lacklustre. Did not finish. Have yet to bother with the sequel.

I could claim that Modern Warfare 2 interests me, but it would be a lie. The predecessor left me chilly. :drunk:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I would go for it Subhuman but make sure that you either get an HDTV or hook it up to your computer monitor. Playing with a regular TV will be shit with most games as all of them are designed with HD in mind so if you play on a regular TV you will often get really small text that you can't read and the developers won't give a fuck since your in the minority.

Most games are designed for Xbox and even if most of them come out on PC your going to have to have a good computer and risk that the game will be a shitty port and/or be delayed a few months.

Shooters aren't the same of course and not having dedicated servers is kind of a pain but it is the price we are forced to pay.

There is like Resident Evil 5, Red Faction, and other shit for it.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Blargh is pretty much spot on with all those titles.

Only game that interests me at all on xbox is Shadow Complex.
Zdog23
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Zdog23 »

I can't say about Bayonetta or Dead Space, I've never played them, but Mass Effect is a very good game if you like rpgs. Modern Warfare 2 is a great game, but i believe that it isn't exactly as good as people say it is. It gets old after a while. Bioshock is one of the best games ever made and Assassins Creed 1 and 2 are good, 2 is better but both are somewhat repetitive.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Zdog23 wrote: Bioshock is one of the best games ever made
That's a pretty bold statement.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Subhuman wrote: - Mass Effect
- Assassin's Creed (1 and 2)
- Dead Space
- BioShock
- Bayonetta
- Modern Warfare 2

Any opinions on the above? BioShock sounds right up my alley - I remember hearing about its similarities to the System Shock games, which were my religion back in the day. Every gamer I know won't shut the fuck up about Modern Warfare 2, and I've read nothing but raves for Assassin's Creed.
+Mass Effect - It's alright. Honestly overhyped. A solid, playable, enjoyable title. The only truly unique thing was the lengths that they went to establish and entirely unique IP with the universe. For that I give great credit. It's a rare thing to find these days.
+Assassins Creed(s) - 1 was highly repetitive, literally within the first hour of play, to the point that I rather disliked the game by the time I finished it. It has a slow to progress but otherwise alright story. Finishing the story was the only reason I beat the game. Not to say it was worthwhile, I'm just stubborn about finishing what I start. That and Altair is a badass. The sequel suffers the same repetition, it just has a slower onset. The revival of platforming gameplay was HIGHLY unnecessary, in my opinion. If you like platformers, there are a few times you'll have your fill of them in glorious high definition. Story became ridiculous, nigh about outright stupid to me.
+Dead Space - Atmospheric. Very atmospheric. Gameplay was out of the norm. Dismembering monsters was always fun, and the hardest difficulty was a reasonable challenge. A solid buy, especially considering it's probably dirt cheap these days. I found many hours of entertainment before I set it aside.
+Bioshock - See Blargh's statement. I agree wholeheartedly.
+Bayonetta - Never played.
+Modern Warfare 2 - Bored me. The campaign was VERY simple, VERY short. In six hours my friend and I drank a fair few whiskey cokes and beat it basically in one sitting. The co-op sections were by far the best experience of the game. Special Ops was easily the most fun I had in the game. Multiplayer on a console with this sort of game doesn't interest me. I am fine with some shooters on a console, but not this one. I had no interest.
+Borderlands - Imagine Diablo II but without random maps and with a post apocalyptic setting. Honestly, for what it's trying to do, it does well. I, however, do not find much appeal in it. I only find a few minutes of enjoyment before I find myself throwing the controller aside for something, anything else. Entirely up to the individual, as I know a few people that seem to enjoy it quite a bit, I was just not at all entertained.

++Resident Evil 5 - If you co-op at all this is very worth your time. Solid gameplay, will keep you entertained for awhile if you enjoy playing with a friend.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Blargh wrote:I found, to my bemusement, Bayonetta to be highly enjoyable. In moderation. Pleasantly asinine.

Mass Effect was soporific. Bioware games seem interchangeable with regard to narrative, themes, characters and, consequently, quality. While some may appreciate this banal consistency, I am not of that number.

Dead Space may hold some tense moments. Visceral. Punting clone babies was a joy. Found the DRM objectionable on principle.

The only strengths of Bioshock are art direction and atmosphere, the latter only superficially. It is the foetal alcohol syndrome addled distant cousin to System Shock 2, just replay that instead. A pretender. Draconian DRM again.

Assassin's Creed 1 is extremely repetitious. A pity the content itself was lacklustre. Did not finish. Have yet to bother with the sequel.

I could claim that Modern Warfare 2 interests me, but it would be a lie. The predecessor left me chilly. :drunk:
Very well put, though even if the game was overall not to expectations, I have to confess anticipation for the Bioshock sequel.

Stainless is right too-- Shadow Complex, though unoriginal, is a homage to Metroid's frame of gameplay. And addictive.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Subhuman wrote:So I'm thinking of buying a 360.
Stopped there.

Is this why you are called Sub-human. Ie beneath human common sence? Shitbox is load as fuck and not as powerfull as a PS3.

Either get a Wii or a ps3 you subhuman douchebag .
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Retlaw83 wrote:Assassin's Creed II sucked, haven't heard anything about the first. Bioshock is okay, but was marketed as a hardcore RPG and a spiritual successor to System Shock when it's not, which disappointed hardcore System Shock fans like myself. Mass Effect is good, as is Dead Space. Bayonetta looks like overhyped garbage and MW2 is overhyped garbage.

My suggestion? Buy a real computer and not that Mac trash you cling to, and the only decent game of the three decent games in the list you miss out on is Dead Space.
Modern warfare 2 is a good game, its an fps online nothing more. You are garbage.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

MR Snake wrote:Modern warfare 2 is a good game, its an fps online nothing more. You are garbage.
It's just an online FPS, yet was hyped to such an extent it's the biggest first-day sale of a videogame ever. Since I own other online FPS's, I don't need it. Plus, there's no dedicated server support. So, it's garbage.

Go back to giving homeless guys handjobs so it renders you unable to type.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

The PS3 is boring and you'll regret buying it and the sexbox380 is like Windows Vista with every driver and piece of hardware certified, which means performance sucks and it crashes alot. Get yourself a Super Nintendo or something, and play all those games you never had a chance to play back when you were busy coming out of the closet.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

St. Toxic wrote:The PS3 is boring.
You're doing it wrong then.
Our Host!