Why all the Fallout 3 hate?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Vault Boy
SDF!
SDF!

Why all the Fallout 3 hate?

Post by Vault Boy »

I played Fallout 1 and 2 before 3, never played BOS since I can't find it anywhere, but why all the hate towards Fallout 3? The landscape is beautiful and it really puts you in there, it can be a little annoying mainly due to the bugs, but thats about as far as it goes
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Most of the hate from here is due to the consensus that Fallout 3 is nothing more than an Oblivion mod. The bugs make is unplayable for some of us. Oh, and the game was made for the Xbox360 which pissed off a lot of people. It's not an RPG so much as a marketing ploy to lure in RPG gamers.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Didn't they ban FO3 in Australia? Were you watching internet clips to make your judgement?

lulzy hobbitsis
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

1. The ban was lifted after they changed the name Morphine to Painkillers or whatever it was, this change was done globally to every version, thus why alot of people were having crys (god knows why, who cares really) over a fucking name change.

2. Hobbits = New Zealand.
Vault Boy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Vault Boy »

an American's ignorance is always enjoyable to experience

all the versions got changed worldwide, not just here in Australia
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

An Australian's ignorance is always enjoyable to experience.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Vault Boy wrote:an American's ignorance is always enjoyable to experience

Out of curiosity, what are your opinions on Fallout 3? Any merits or disappointments?
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

My favorite example of Australian ignorance is in The Roadwarrior when Humungous' bitch goes to catch the boomarang and gets his fingers chopped off. I actually didnt know Australia was a real place until this thread... Sorry, I'm frum Ummericah.

This thread is crazy. Aren't there like thousands of thread devoted to DAC's opinion of Fallout 3? Go look in the other threads!
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
niejadek5
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by niejadek5 »

O c'mon.
Like Bruce Willis saving the world is something better...
And i bet that you have wank over the roadwarrior again and again.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Don't feed the troll, folks.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

He's not really a troll. It'd only be trolling if this was NMA and we were nazi moderators.
Vault Boy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Vault Boy »

nah I'm not a troll, been hunting for a good Fallout forum for a month or so now
King of Creation wrote:
Vault Boy wrote:an American's ignorance is always enjoyable to experience

Out of curiosity, what are your opinions on Fallout 3? Any merits or disappointments?
I think the landscape is amazing, thats something you cannot take any credit away from, with a good TV, you can spend hours just walking around the Wasteland and looking at the backdrop, the only real disappointment it has from me is the bugs, so many bugs with the quests, its pretty damn annoying, it does feel like an Oblivion mod, but Fallout 3 is alot more fun, I think one of the best things about it is just exploring, you don't know what you will find (the door, the spaceship) and who will be around the next corner.

I really don't think it deserves all the hate it gets, Fallout 1 and 2 were great, but for me Fallout 3 makes me actually feel for my character which is something I didn't experience in the first 2 and being very picky with RPG's, its kind of hard to make me do that (last one being was Star Wars: KOTR 1)
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

Vault Boy wrote: with a good TV
I actually loled IRL
sydneyroo
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sydneyroo »

I couldn't believe all the hate towards Fallout 3 until I actually played it. The game is neither good FPS nor RPG. All the eyecandy (which at the time it came out wasn't really that good) they stuffed the game with will never cover the hopeless dialogues and tragic story.
There is also absolutely no challenge coming with this game unless you apply some mods which partially make the game bearable. But I guess the game wouldn't sell on consoles with the IQ requirement >50.

Edit: Hi, BTW. Glad to find the board having similar statement on FO3.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Vault Boy wrote:I think the landscape is amazing, thats something you cannot take any credit away from, with a good TV, you can spend hours just walking around the Wasteland and looking at the backdrop
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you there. I thought the backdrop was bland and boring, too grey and green. The original Fallout were a bit more vibrant in color while still capturing that post apocalyptic feel. The backdrop in Fallout 3 was the same Oblivion stuff over and over.

but for me Fallout 3 makes me actually feel for my character which is something I didn't experience in the first 2 and being very picky with RPG's, its kind of hard to make me do that (last one being was Star Wars: KOTR 1)
In Fallout 1 and 2, I felt that I was the character. I didn't feel that we were different entities. That was the major accomplishment of the originals...they made you the character, rather than making you adapt to and feel for some character they decided. Too much of the story of Fallout 3 was reliant on pre-made character history, while the originals just gave you a bit of a background and let you create your own story.

Fallout 2 gave a bit more character stuff to adapt to, but after a little while all that stuff just fell to the wayside and you forged your own path. Fallout 3 doesn't allow for any of that.
sydneyroo wrote:Edit: Hi, BTW. Glad to find the board having similar statement on FO3.
Nice to have you here.

The whole board isn't contingent upon disliking Fallout 3. It just happens to be an overriding sentiment from the old fanbase. I appreciate all points of view here as long as they're logical and intelligent :hug:
sydneyroo
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sydneyroo »

Thanks for the kind words, mate. I never disliked FO3 for the sake of disliking. It just doesn't feel like a real part of Fallout franchise and the game itself gets overwhelmed by the overall suckiness, so to speak :)
SenisterDenister

KOC, tell them about twitter, quick! Show them we're hip and poppin' fresh and they might stay!
PiP

Post by PiP »

King of Creation wrote:I appreciate all points of view here as long as they're logical and intelligent :hug:
and the rest of us appreciate points of view that are interesting ;) while still discussing what's 'logical' and 'intelligent'

seriously though this site is less about Fo3 and related stuff than it may seem.

And you, chin-fluff kid, shuddup.
SenisterDenister

So you support the Duck and Cover twitter thing then?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

senisterdenister wrote:KOC, tell them about twitter, quick! Show them we're hip and poppin' fresh and they might stay!
Easy Liberachi
Our Host!