Aliens v. Predator

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Have to wait til Wednesday for the release of the Hunter's Edition. Practically lost a tear when I saw it in Fry's Electronics earlier today
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

And ANOTHER two days, for some apparent bullshit reason from Gamestop. I'm borderline-mental breakdown right now
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

And this is why Digital Distribution > stores.

Fuck logistics.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

You can't get a plush facehugger with digital distribution
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

King of Creation wrote:plush facehugger
...you know someone is going to uh...use that. :pelvic_thrust:
...signatures? WTF?
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Steam released the pre download at least.

yay!

Edit. No they released the entire game 1 day early. How odd, it's not like steam to release a game on time let alone one day sooner.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Plush? I had heard it was, you know, rubber/plastic. So it'd actually look realistic. It's seriously plush?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Now that you mention it, I heard it was not plush and rather what you said.
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

So what we're saying is, Caleb is a lier?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Well, I found this one out easy. Go to page one of this thread.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

If i recall..plushies don't need literal plush toys to be involved but, sometimes just animal/anthropomorphic dolls nearby? It's a fucking weird fetish.
...signatures? WTF?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Whatever you say, mack.

Got the Hunter's Ed. earlier in the night (about 7-8 PM). It's 1 AM now. I've torn into this game like a bad habit, completed the relatively short Alien campaign and most of the Marine campaign, both on Hard difficulty.
Level design is interesting. I recognize the multiplayer demo level as the base for a showdown area in the marine campaign. I must give the Marines credit-- what they lack in detection and mobility, they make up for in firepower. Smartgun has limited range but auto-targeting at anywhere from two-to-thirty feet can be devastating to drones. Also, the scoped rifle is virtually always a one-hit-kill above the waist. It's awesome. Also, marine campaign does have "Runner" drones; they seem to have a fetish for long-distance acid spitting, and if frustrated, will give up trying to bombard you and just assault you head on like any other drone. Must admit, though, I have been scared shitless of facehuggers. They pause in moving often enough to be easy targets for the Pistol (infinite ammo and 3-round burst, useful tool), but the image of them alone stirs up emotions of panic.

At any rate, what you need to know about the Hunter's Ed. is this: the photo of the complete set makes everything look much bigger than it actually is. The graphic novel? Small. The "lifesize" facehugger? Only when a toddler is the host.

The campaign seems to have 6/10 writing if I have to be brutally honest about it (BFF marine "Tequila", an infested nightclub), but I can't see it as much worse considering my obvious bias on the topic; I'm a massive fan of this and I'm probably overlooking the faults of the game. Otherwise, I'm enjoying myself.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

Slow Vs Shitty you mean?

The only thing I enjoy about this game even remotely (even though they fucked THIS up too) is the melee has better range than if it was glued to one's "eyeball" aka the reticle.

It's too fucking long, of course, but better than nothing.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Dunno what you're talking about. I'm having fun-- though I can't play for shit as a Predator. I've died at least 6 times in the first area you get swarmed by Xenos after dealing with Marines.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Popscythe just doesn't like anything commercially viable.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

He's right though. Avp: The Next generation is console garbage at its finest.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I haven't touched AvP, so it could very well be a steaming pile. Just been my experience that if it can make money, Popscythe immediately hates it.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

St. Toxic wrote:He's right though. Avp: The Next generation is console garbage at its finest.
While I recognize some problems with it, I'd disagree. Could be fan-bias clouding my judgement, but I'd say it's pretty good, and with a balance the prior titles didn't have. In multiplayer, any species can unleash rape; Marines have low threat detection with extreme firepower, Predators have effective weapons with decent threat detection, and while aliens are limited to melee, they have unrivaled mobility and threat detection, as well as powerful melee attacks. There's a very strong balance present.

Graphics are generally pretty good and on the standard (yet received criticism), though voice acting (with the exception of Lance Henrikson) is substandard. Writing could be better (some situations showed potential with others just being annoying to listen to).

It appeared that Rebellion was too eager to reuse level maps, as virtually every map in the game is used by each species. I would wager gameplay would be more interesting as well as enjoyable if the player weren't able to recognize the area and map rehashing everywhere he/she went.

There would probably be a better base for the story if there was less emphasis on the movies and more on the comics/books/etc.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

I trust Mad Max, from what all he's said, enough not to buy it.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Manoil wrote:While I recognize some problems with it, I'd disagree.
Bless you, Danny, but you're too cuddly for me to take your opinion seriously. :hug:
Our Host!