Aliens v. Predator

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

The future is upon us, sadly.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Still learning the controls, but I unleashed some rape last night. Alien is still fun, marine still insignificant.

And what's best is that I can foresee someone ripping the models from this game to be put into Gary's Mod / Fallout 3 mods. This'll be tasty
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I can see myself playing as a marine player tbh, it's crazy fun mowing down fgt preds and aliens with shotguns. The flamer is absolute shite though.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

The predator was always my favourite, and I suspect, this will still be so.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:The predator was always my favourite, and I suspect, this will still be so.
Probably will. Though multiplayer dictates that you find all your weapons beyond your normal wristblade set, you can still hop in and rape your foes so long as you play it smart. Yesterday night was my first two times of playing as a Pred-- came in third on the first match, won the second.

I'm getting the hang of alien rapery and as long as I maintain a 1-1 ratio of kills to deaths, I find myself placing inside the top 3 or winning each match. What I will say I don't exactly like is the fact that consuming corpses for health is now gone. There is an automated healing that begins after a while but it's not the same as being able to completely prep yourself for your next showdown by eating the previous one.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Marines are very good if you know how to use them, you really just need to aim for the head and you have practically instakills.

There is no recoils to guns but you do have that blinding muzzleflash, but if you are smart enough nothing says you cannot own with the marine. I have, with all three actually. Now having said that the predator is the favourite.

Aliens have no chance on a clean hand to hand combat as for marines you can just cloak and they will not see you.

Standing still completely makes you invisible which I found out as I tore the head of one marine.

The only annoying part is that when you do the kill finishing move from behind there is always some filthy alien coming from nowhere and doing the same to me.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

MR Snake wrote:Marines are very good if you know how to use them, you really just need to aim for the head and you have practically instakills.

There is no recoils to guns but you do have that blinding muzzleflash, but if you are smart enough nothing says you cannot own with the marine. I have, with all three actually. Now having said that the predator is the favourite.

Aliens have no chance on a clean hand to hand combat as for marines you can just cloak and they will not see you.

Standing still completely makes you invisible which I found out as I tore the head of one marine.

The only annoying part is that when you do the kill finishing move from behind there is always some filthy alien coming from nowhere and doing the same to me.
No, no, and no.
MR Snake wrote:Aliens have no chance on a clean hand to hand combat as for marines you can just cloak and they will not see you.
Aside from pointing out the mistake (Predators cloak), aliens can still recognize cloaked predators. They give off the same colorized glow (pheromones) that non-cloaked Preds do. Cloaking does little for a Predator that isn't going after a marine-- even then, the invisibility isn't perfect. The ripples in the air give away a predator to anyone who's seen it more than once. And even then, Aliens have numerous advantages in HTH combat-- aside from being fast and lethal, acid blood still causes problems (though seemingly not as much as in previous games).
EDIT:Realized you weren't implying that marines can cloak, but were falling face-first over your masterful use of grammar.
MR Snake wrote:Standing still completely makes you invisible which I found out as I tore the head of one marine.
Again, no. Read previous statement.
MR Snake wrote:The only annoying part is that when you do the kill finishing move from behind there is always some filthy alien coming from nowhere and doing the same to me.
It's the same biz as the chainsaw kills in Gears of War-- starting the sequence ensures your kill but leaves you open to the same trick. The solution is to focus on killing everyone in the room, and taking out the last one with the grab. Otherwise, you're fucked.
MR Snake wrote:Marines are very good if you know how to use them, you really just need to aim for the head and you have practically instakills.
Not really, unless your opponents are utter n00bs or you can track a sprinting alien or predator's head (both of which run extremely quickly). Bullet spread also doesn't guarantee you'll be connecting with the head regardless of aiming at it, which also isn't a instakill upon impact.

And that's exactly the point, that last part. I can't see how literally ANY of what you said would be plausible unless you were playing against people so new they were still working on learning the controls.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Sprinting fgt; meet pulse rifle grenade. I've only struggled against a few people tbh, someone who rape faced me as alien and some guy who barely beat me by constantly killing some shitty noob to pad his score.

Biggest hate issue with the marine is that the flash light is pretty useless, and that ammo respawns just as fast enough if there's more then 2 marines running around the map (ie; you're food for any good aliens).

Current favourite trick against aliens/preds is blocking a swing with the shotgun, fazing people then unloading the double blast into their head.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Stainless wrote:Sprinting fgt; meet pulse rifle grenade. I've only struggled against a few people tbh, someone who rape faced me as alien and some guy who barely beat me by constantly killing some shitty noob to pad his score.

Biggest hate issue with the marine is that the flash light is pretty useless, and that ammo respawns just as fast enough if there's more then 2 marines running around the map (ie; you're food for any good aliens).

Current favourite trick against aliens/preds is blocking a swing with the shotgun, fazing people then unloading the double blast into their head.
Interesting. Are you on the 360 or PC? I just played alongside Pooper tonight, did my best yet as an alien-- won with 22 kills, 5 kill streak. Best part is that I started off in the match with seven deaths and no kills, and worked my way up from that point. Still more to be learned, but I'm getting good.

Way I see it, Aliens work as so:
Constant movement. Never stop running, never stop moving. Stop only when alone and only for a quick check of the surroundings for nearby enemies; when done, get back to moving.
When closing in on an enemy, avoid head-on confrontation. Stay behind them, or use the ceilings and walls to get around them without making your presence obvious. If you aren't spotted, open with a tail whip to inflict serious damage; if you are, stick to light swipes. In areas with multiple enemies, let them damage each other first or attack all with light, fast swipes. Only use 1-hit kills when enemies are alone.
If damaged from an encounter, do not attempt to continue fighting; flee beyond melee range, turn corners to evade ranged fire. Health will regenerate while you circumvent the enemy and come around behind them. Guerrilla warfare works exceedingly well.
Do not count on acid blood-- damage inflicted, even at death, only causes light damage to most enemies, though more to marines. At best, it only softens up the opponent to be killed by someone else, rather than you.
Marines are taken easily in the dark. Smash lights and stick to the ceiling or high walls to evade being seen easily; no movement means no detection. Marines can also be knocked down by quick swipes; firepower is a considerable threat, so momentum in fast swipes is advised when without window for a tail swipe. In a match with few or no Predators, the hiss feature works well to advertise your location to marines. Staying stationary while they investigate will lure them to you without causing detection.
Predators are priority threats when armed beyond simple wristblades; continue moving for best chance to dodge incoming projectiles. Run their ammo out before attempting to engage in melee. Also be aware that Predators work best to detect enemies in their two vision modes; a Predator expecting/engaging marines will likely be using thermal vision, which will give a window to attack with minimal visibility for the Predator. Also note that light blows take a recognizably higher amount of hits to kill a Predator. The tail slash is highly useful in an opening attack, and can be followed up by quick slashes for an efficient kill.

Only playing the demo and I'm shitting bricks as it is. This game is awesome.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I'm on PC. I don't own a 360. Basically; aliens that sit still and hide in the dark waiting for me to come to them can go get fucked. There's no to little point in me sacrificing my motion tracking advantage to play to theirs.

The motion tracker is made of sex, gets you easy kills on preds, because most people seem to be fairly clueless when it comes to what the marine can do, including blocking melee and seeing through walls with smart guns :D
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

It's the invisibility that counts. Knowing when somebody is nearby is the first and probably most important detail in an engagement. And while you may not like it, sooner or later, you'll go looking, if only for the sake of the killcount. Otherwise, waiting for the xeno to come out of hiding will get you killed by some other asshole who spawns on the other side of the map.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Where I am, I'm lucky to get 3 or 4 people in a game, hell I just played a 1v2 against a couple of xeno fgts who told me that AVP was NOT in fact Call of Duty (so grenading people stacking a team is bad?). As such, hunting other people when I have no idea where they are, is just a reciple for disaster, unless I'm looking for more nades to make people rage quit servers with (also done).

Invisibility is pretty useless tbh, as soon as you move, you give away your direction. And as soon as you've done that, I'm looking at your shimmer because there's only so many angles the predator can come from (ie; ground floor or elevated platform).

Anyone who sits pretty in a corner invis is just giving me time to get a smart gun and nullify their ambushing advantage anyway, and if they're that bad, then they probably aren't good enough to out pace its tracking.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Thank you for proving my point, Snake. Go back to your cage now, you're acting craze-craze
Stainless wrote:Where I am, I'm lucky to get 3 or 4 people in a game, hell I just played a 1v2 against a couple of xeno fgts who told me that AVP was NOT in fact Call of Duty (so grenading people stacking a team is bad?). As such, hunting other people when I have no idea where they are, is just a reciple for disaster, unless I'm looking for more nades to make people rage quit servers with (also done).

Invisibility is pretty useless tbh, as soon as you move, you give away your direction. And as soon as you've done that, I'm looking at your shimmer because there's only so many angles the predator can come from (ie; ground floor or elevated platform).

Anyone who sits pretty in a corner invis is just giving me time to get a smart gun and nullify their ambushing advantage anyway, and if they're that bad, then they probably aren't good enough to out pace its tracking.
Spurring on rage quitting sounds so... Redeye. I like it. It's a shame I don't have this for PC because I'd love to take a look at your tactics firsthand.

(FYI-- I wasn't referring to the Pred's cloaking device, but the darkness itself. Blending in is that little extra)
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

i actually really liked the human... it was very scary, especially when getting raped by predators, who in turn get raped by aliens.. Im sure the predator stuck his claw in my throat, then an alien stuck his tail in the predator which was long enough for me to see coming out of my stomach as well. So i had 2 sets of sharp objects through me. Though i reigned supreme because i had dropped a grenade, killing the alien.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

AvP releases on the 16th. Five more days.
And I have the renaissance festival to attend in the mean time... which I am foreseeing as either a moderately entertaining or perversely horrible experience.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Manoil wrote:AvP releases on the 16th. Five more days.
And I have the renaissance festival to attend in the mean time... which I am foreseeing as either a moderately entertaining or perversely horrible experience.
Mancum you post deleting whore, may you rott in hell :)
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I split the posts to the Wasteland snakey.

Now back on topic.

AvP has me extremely excited to play video games again. Hopefully they actually sell it here.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

AVP got some really horrible reviews, but then again those same reviews gave Fallout 3 a ten so.. it's a gamble either way and the only way to fully know is to play the game.

What susan described happens alot ingame. People actually wait for you to do the "E slow kill move attack" so they in turn can go and do the same thing to you.

Which is why I use my handy spin saw thingy to kill when I am the predator.

Either species can rape, as long as you know how to play them.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

MR Snake wrote:
Manoil wrote:AvP releases on the 16th. Five more days.
Mancum you post deleting whore, may you rott in hell :)
Bawwwwww somewhere else.

And the 'spinny' thingy you're referring to is the Disc.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

So this has been released in the US now, anyone picked it up and played it? I have to wait till the 20th for release here, and wondering if its worth getting, as I'm hearing alot of mixed feelings on it.
Our Host!