Aliens v. Predator

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I never played the first two but I heard they were good but I'm somewhat skeptical about this game for one reason being that Rebellion helped make Rogue Warrior which is supposedly hilariously bad.

Having the original developer back to make the game sounds cool but I don't know if they are still considered a good developer anymore.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

senisterdenister wrote:I feel the same way with Crysis 2, I really want Crytek to do a good job with it
Maybe they'll make something other than a crappy tech demo this time. Wouldn't bet on it though.
Burnov wrote:It's also coming out for the PC apparently, and case in point Oblivion was multiplatform and there were small, subtle adjustments to the windows game that were not present in the 360 version.
Yes, really made the game come to life on the PC. Excuse me while I clear my throat of residue bullshit. COUGH COUGH.

What broke it, apart from shitty story, shitty voice acting, shitty coding and shitty graphics, was that it was dumbed down console trash from the onset and onwards. If this AVP is geared towards morons, like most other console releases out there, then it won't really matter if we get to set our own controls and change resolution or, God forbid, put some FSAA on.
Burnov wrote:Unlike in the past where multiplatform releases were hamstrung in favor of the lowest common denominator (console) audiences, the industry is now redressing this imbalance.
Seems somebody really liked OFP2:DR. :google:
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

St. Toxic wrote:
Burnov wrote:It's also coming out for the PC apparently, and case in point Oblivion was multiplatform and there were small, subtle adjustments to the windows game that were not present in the 360 version.
Yes, really made the game come to life on the PC. Excuse me while I clear my throat of residue bullshit. COUGH COUGH.

What broke it, apart from shitty story, shitty voice acting, shitty coding and shitty graphics, was that it was dumbed down console trash from the onset and onwards. If this AVP is geared towards morons, like most other console releases out there, then it won't really matter if we get to set our own controls and change resolution or, God forbid, put some FSAA on.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

I thought Alien V Predator 2 was good despite being developed by the native engine developer Monolith. It had a good story, and an original plot. I hated the multiplayer however, it was bad and just imbalanced.

Alien V Predator 1 was scheduled to be ported to ps1 and dreamcast, but was cancelled. Does that mean Rebellion has experience with consoles or the opposite? Or mayhaps it just means consoles are bad hosts for first-person shooters?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

I can agree with the first statement, but it seems some shooters work better on consoles. While that's speculation, if anyone can give me an honest answer to whether or not Modern Warfare 1 and 2 had as much a following on PC next to what it had on xbawks, it might make this a bit more in perspective. Reason that I bring that up is that COD4 ran beautifully on the bawks and had enough replay value that a massive crowd-- including my friend Spadde-- continued to play it religiously, even months into WaW's release. Actually, it might be what he's still playing.

Suffice to say, I'm not really biased in this and as far as I can tell, it's the game's creators that ultimately end up deciding whether or not they'll make things run as well on one console as on the other.

Now I want my damn avp game, when is the release date
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

Yes call of duty does work with a console controller, its a much diffrent beast than say- counterstrike, however.

What im saying is counterstrike was designed from the bottom up to be played with mouse / keyboard, and seems to react better to high look sensitivity. The same could be argued for call of duty 1, but let's face it the control scheme for CoD wasn't really refined enough to go on a controller until the second installment.
susan's twin
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by susan's twin »

AvP3 will be pretty neat, hope there's a coop mode like in AvP1. Stranded was the best map. B)
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

jimmypneumatic wrote:Yes call of duty does work with a console controller, its a much diffrent beast than say- counterstrike, however.

What im saying is counterstrike was designed from the bottom up to be played with mouse / keyboard, and seems to react better to high look sensitivity. The same could be argued for call of duty 1, but let's face it the control scheme for CoD wasn't really refined enough to go on a controller until the second installment.
Counterstrike is played with very low mouse sensitivity.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:
jimmypneumatic wrote:Yes call of duty does work with a console controller, its a much diffrent beast than say- counterstrike, however.

Ok so all this proves it's all a matter of personal preference, so imho i think high sensitivity on console controllers makes it less controllable and more squirly. I can (again IMHO) pump up the sensitivity to 7 or 8 in CS:S and have better control over my shots than if i were twiddling knobs instead.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

jimmypneumatic wrote:
Frater Perdurabo wrote:

Ok so all this proves it's all a matter of personal preference, so imho i think high sensitivity on console controllers makes it less controllable and more squirly. I can (again IMHO) pump up the sensitivity to 7 or 8 in CS:S and have better control over my shots than if i were twiddling knobs instead.
No. If you look at the pros in Counterstrike, 99% of them play with a very low sensitivity, as do most players who have a clue. It is a matter of personal preference though, as a rule of thumb, your sensitivity should high enough so that you can do a 180 degree turn in one move of hand and no more, because then you are losing accuracy.

I see what you're getting at, but you are wrong.

Oh and whoever says that any FPS is better on a console rather than on the computer needs to get a clue.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Wow. Fighting over the who has the biggest dick on the internet over fucking sensitivity settings in Counterstrike on DAC. I never thought I'd see the day.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

If you aren't frustrated your setting isn't high/low enough. Please try again.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

jetbaby wrote:Wow. Fighting over the who has the biggest dick on the internet over fucking sensitivity settings in Counterstrike on DAC. I never thought I'd see the day.
The discussion was about FPS's on the PC and consoles, and this was a mere illustration, as it actually is relevant? Feel free to continue not contributing.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:you are wrong.
Whatever. Your face is wrong.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Menstruate more. Seriously, why do people have such trouble admitting that they are wrong, when they are indeed wrong? What, are you Chinese? Then again, with that avatar, you could be.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

I think its funny. It's funny because this has been a thread of opinions from the get-go. Who's really wrong when all that matters is opinion? BTW I'm part black. Keep guessing.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:The discussion was about FPS's on the PC and consoles, and this was a mere illustration, as it actually is relevant? Feel free to continue not contributing.
Yes, yes i will thank you.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Obviously there is room for personal preference.
Gameplay wise, Counterstrike is radically different from any other shooter because of weapon control and aiming style. Compare it to other types of "big" FPSes.
Quake 3: control of movement and speed and radically different aiming due to projectiles not being instant.
Call of Duty: twitch-reaction aiming.
In neither of the two games is precision of aim as important as in Counterstrike, where it all evolves around headshots. Due to this, Counterstrike is played with a low sensitivity to maximize precision.

I'm not trying to sound bigoted. FPSes and I go way back and I still play them a lot, thus I know what I am talking about.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

this is getting off-topic but I'll continue anyway:
I play another FPS in which aiming is crucial, namely AA 2.8.x
I'm aware that theoretically you need low mouse sensitivity for better aiming control. However I prefer a mouse that lies between my fingers and not in my palm, and I operate the mouse with fine finger movements. Effects are good, providing practise is regular.
Also in AA you need specific mouse settings to minimise recoil which narrows down other options.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:
jetbaby wrote:Wow. Fighting over the who has the biggest dick on the internet over fucking sensitivity settings in Counterstrike on DAC. I never thought I'd see the day.
The discussion was about FPS's on the PC and consoles, and this was a mere illustration, as it actually is relevant? Feel free to continue not contributing.
No, the discussion is about Aliens v. Predator. Feel free to continue not contributing.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Our Host!