Game you're playing. How far you are.

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Picture 4 disappointing endings on the edge of a cliff . . .

Post by Blargh »

Naturally, they're going to keep churning them out for as long as they can get away with it. Honestly, fucking facebook tie-ins ? Christ. Ergo, cliff hangers. Or it might be that they are pathologically pre-disposed to writing cliff hangers. Who can say ?

Mostly I've confined myself to the rigours of multiplayer, and a strict diet of cretin tears.

That said, I'm unreasonably confident a fair bit of the 'plot' would count (to some, at least) as batshite insane meta-mindfuckery. Or something resembling that. It's possible that Desmond might not be the most unrealised character in the narrative. It's possible that they've been inspired by Inception/some sci-fi short that I'm not passingly familiar with. Or it could be that 16 is indubitably cracked and/or the writing staff are pulling an improbably long moonbeam scarf from their collective hole. Ehue.

Also, the flags are back. :aiee:

:drunk:
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Finally beat Amnesia, I suppose I got the good end (I helped Agrippa) and I found it to be somewhat anticlimactic. Some other friends of mine have started playing Age of Empires III again, so I have too in the form of LAN parties and all that. Still waiting for a lot of STALKER mods that are in development to come out, its making me impatient, and I find LURK to be boring, but COP Complete is pretty good.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Tofu Man wrote:
Stalagmite wrote:Dead Space 2 is retarded console trash.
Besides, what's so kick ass about QTEs ??? :chew:
I like QTE's when they are done well like timing of the buttons but I hate them when it's all "PRESS A" really fast and if you aren't fast enough you die. I wouldn't say Deadspace QTE's were great but I liked how the scenes looked. How often do you get pulled through the floors by a monster shoot its arm, run to a gunship that blows the glass and fly out into space with the monster which attaches to a space ship and you shoot the explosive barrels on the space ship to destroy it and you go back into the atmosphere into a building and break through the floors and not want to smile a bit?

I think RE4 had the best QTE's because they were all about combination's and some were directly related to the gameplay. RE5 didn't even do it that well maybe.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I like QTE's when they are done well like timing of the buttons but I hate them when it's all "PRESS A" really fast and if you aren't fast enough you die. I wouldn't say Deadspace QTE's were great but I liked how the scenes looked. How often do you get pulled through the floors by a monster shoot its arm, run to a gunship that blows the glass and fly out into space with the monster which attaches to a space ship and you shoot the explosive barrels on the space ship to destroy it and you go back into the atmosphere into a building and break through the floors and not want to smile a bit?

I think RE4 had the best QTE's because they were all about combination's and some were directly related to the gameplay. RE5 didn't even do it that well maybe.
Games are supposed to be about gameplay first, then about everything else. What actual input did you have during the scene you describe? Correct me if I'm wrong but aside from the shooting I'm guessing you did nothing other than watch a cutscene.

That's mostly what annoys me in QTEs. Cutscenes have been used for the longest time as simple exposition tools. You played the action part of the game, and when the game decided to advance the plot it went into cutscene mode and you watched. Granted that's not particularly good planning but the way it's done today isn't either. Today cutscenes are used for audio visual wankery, rather than for exposition, leaving you the player to play the the most repetitive, boring bits of the game and when something that's actually cool happens, the game wrestles control away from you and delivers a cutscene where you have to press a couple of buttons so they can excuse it as gameplay (when it's not) and leaving you without that feeling of accomplishment you get when something that's awesome happened through your input alone.

To use your expression, what would today make me want to smile a bit is when, for instance you're on a motorbike being chased by a cop car in GTA and you make a blind turn, plant your bike in a pedestrian and fly off into a car door, and as you stand there waiting for your character to get up while thinking to yourself "Well I'm certainly fucked" and the cop car stops right in front of you only to be suddenly smashed by a passing truck, giving you a getaway window where you thought you had none. When shit that feels random (although it may not have been, and with good planning it could certainly feel that way while being scripted) happens is when I'm going "holy shit that was incredible".

As for events that are so clearly scripted that you could see them coming from a mile off, you may be right that it's not everyday that it happens in a game (although with today's games it certainly feels like it), but this recent push to "hollywoodize" has game makers ignoring not only that the scenes they're feeding us are extremely overwrought but also that as movie-goers we've seen them plenty of times before.

DS2 has a couple of good ideas, I remember a boss type guy that would lift you from the leg and have you shoot at its eye(?) so he'd let go but unlike the others that did take place during gameplay, whereas all the others are just detaching experiences. I'm not even going to mention (well I am, fuck it) that huge bastard that pushes you through a wall (when you get to the scientologist's top floor) and then gives you three seconds to shoot him before he crushes you while making it completely impossible to do so because the weapon I had equipped (the saw) didn't have enough range to hit him and the PC took longer to switch weapons than the time you're given to shoot the bastard. What happens when you die? The cutscene starts over, giving you no fucking chance to change your loadout. After dying some 15 times, I was eventually forced to reload a much earlier save in order to proceed. Oh joy. :anger:
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Post by Alister McFap II Esq. »

I'll try playing bullet storm now. I know it's totally for 13 year olds, so according to Retlaw's perception of me (which is entirely and undoubtedly accurate of course) I should love it.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

You almost sound like you give a fuck what Retlaw thinks lol.

I'm still on 'The Witcher', despite the limited roaming space (though doesn't feel like it really), it may just be in my top 5, 10 at the latest.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

i am playing this new computer role-playing game called "new vegas" perhaps you've heard of it ;)
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Bulletstorm seems freakin well done and polished - even if that means scripted to the point of freakin Fahrenheit 451 or something. Have you played Serious Sam? Tell me if it compared to it. Damn I love Serious Sam.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Dreadnought's cute when he's passive aggressive.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Gimp Mask wrote:i am playing this new computer role-playing game called "new vegas" perhaps you've heard of it ;)
Isn't that based on some Bethesda game?

Kudos to Obsidian for trying but considering their strength is polishing turds (rather nicely for turds admittedly), you can only give them as much credit as you would a fat kid beating a retard in a race.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

more like a fat kid beating a retard in a bare knuckle fight am i right :chew:
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Works just as well, doesn't stop the fact that the fat kid is under the same roof as the retard, and will help change his diapers when asked even if he does smack him around on occasion.
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Stalagmite wrote:You almost sound like you give a fuck what Retlaw thinks lol.

I'm still on 'The Witcher', despite the limited roaming space (though doesn't feel like it really), it may just be in my top 5, 10 at the latest.
Of course I care, silly. He's a person like as all of us. He deserves the same respect and attention as everyone else. :)
Retlaw83 wrote:Dreadnought's cute when he's passive aggressive.
I'm not passive aggressive. I just can't go out for lunch with you IRL, so we can talk about each others problems. :drunk:
Last edited by Alister McFap II Esq. on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Oh, and bulletstorm is ok... at first I was a bit shocked that there is no JUMP button, but the game doesn't need it anyway, since even on hard mode it's rather easy.
It's very consolesque, but I knew this beforehand.
One major plus is the loading time/map ratio. It literally loads shit within 2 seconds.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Wow.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

Wow.
It's going quite well, thanks for asking. Just got 346 ilvl on my warrior, going to enjoy ZG redeux in patch 4.1.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Fuck World of Buttshaft
Go with the 'Turbine' games.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

Go with the 'Turbine' games.
No thanks. I played dungeons and dragons, and loved it, on pnp. I also experienced LotR by reading books as a child.

What i'm getting at is that I hope to keep those experiences seperate from fighting loot ninjas, being frustrated with drops and forced pvp, grinding, and dealing with a populace that is 75% a-hole. Now i'm not saying i won't deal with all that to gain my sense of accomplishment and satisfaction in WoW, just not with franchises that i already have a mindset associated with. Even though I also love the SW franchise, I am actually looking forward to seeing if SWtOR will run on my computer, as i've already played a Star Wars MMO and enjoyed it.

I guess its pretty complex.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

You lost me on "star Wars".
I enjoyed 'Star Wars'....as a kid ;)

Still have yet to play Age of Conan.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Tofu Man wrote:
POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I like QTE's when they are done well like timing of the buttons but I hate them when it's all "PRESS A" really fast and if you aren't fast enough you die. I wouldn't say Deadspace QTE's were great but I liked how the scenes looked. How often do you get pulled through the floors by a monster shoot its arm, run to a gunship that blows the glass and fly out into space with the monster which attaches to a space ship and you shoot the explosive barrels on the space ship to destroy it and you go back into the atmosphere into a building and break through the floors and not want to smile a bit?

Games are supposed to be about gameplay first, then about everything else. What actual input did you have during the scene you describe? Correct me if I'm wrong but aside from the shooting I'm guessing you did nothing other than watch a cutscene.

That's mostly what annoys me in QTEs. Cutscenes have been used for the longest time as simple exposition tools. You played the action part of the game, and when the game decided to advance the plot it went into cutscene mode and you watched. Granted that's not particularly good planning but the way it's done today isn't either. Today cutscenes are used for audio visual wankery, rather than for exposition, leaving you the player to play the the most repetitive, boring bits of the game and when something that's actually cool happens, the game wrestles control away from you and delivers a cutscene where you have to press a couple of buttons so they can excuse it as gameplay (when it's not) and leaving you without that feeling of accomplishment you get when something that's awesome happened through your input alone.

To use your expression, what would today make me want to smile a bit is when, for instance you're on a motorbike being chased by a cop car in GTA and you make a blind turn, plant your bike in a pedestrian and fly off into a car door, and as you stand there waiting for your character to get up while thinking to yourself "Well I'm certainly fucked" and the cop car stops right in front of you only to be suddenly smashed by a passing truck, giving you a getaway window where you thought you had none. When shit that feels random (although it may not have been, and with good planning it could certainly feel that way while being scripted) happens is when I'm going "holy shit that was incredible".

As for events that are so clearly scripted that you could see them coming from a mile off, you may be right that it's not everyday that it happens in a game (although with today's games it certainly feels like it), but this recent push to "hollywoodize" has game makers ignoring not only that the scenes they're feeding us are extremely overwrought but also that as movie-goers we've seen them plenty of times before.

DS2 has a couple of good ideas, I remember a boss type guy that would lift you from the leg and have you shoot at its eye(?) so he'd let go but unlike the others that did take place during gameplay, whereas all the others are just detaching experiences. I'm not even going to mention (well I am, fuck it) that huge bastard that pushes you through a wall (when you get to the scientologist's top floor) and then gives you three seconds to shoot him before he crushes you while making it completely impossible to do so because the weapon I had equipped (the saw) didn't have enough range to hit him and the PC took longer to switch weapons than the time you're given to shoot the bastard. What happens when you die? The cutscene starts over, giving you no fucking chance to change your loadout. After dying some 15 times, I was eventually forced to reload a much earlier save in order to proceed. Oh joy. :anger:
Well the gameplay in DS2 wouldn't be capable of providing the actions that were in the cut scene and I don't think many games have that capability. Going through floors, moving from a building to space, and then coming back down into a different building while fighting a boss within a minute is not something that can be achieved without making a very advanced game play system. Having a cut-scene that can gloss over the technical difficulties while still maintaining some of the feel of the action is cool with me. I would have liked more control in the cut scene but atleast it was different than being put into a circular room with the boss and constantly strafe while shooting, is welcome.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Our Host!