Dwagon Age

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Finished the game with a Dwarven Noble, played as a good-oriented sword and shield wielding warrior. I must say that this game was far more than what I expected. An exceptionally great game, which felt like Baldur's Gate all over again - but in a good way. I truly recommend buying this one. When I have the time (propably after a Risen re-run) I think I'm going to go with an Elven Mage or a Human Rogue.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I'm disappointed that my original human hating elf fgt can no longer carry on that persona.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

hey Kash, how would you compare Risen, DA, Witcher and perhaps Divinity II if you know it in terms of RPG / action balance, story, game mechanics, overall value? I appoint you my reviewer of choice B)
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I'm playing DA now on the xbox and at first I was concerned about the controls but looking into it more they seem to be well done. The game seems pretty okay so far, very polished and surprisingly faster pace than I was expecting but I'm not very far in it. I'm playing a human warrior who hits stuff.

Pip, I would also like to see a comparision done between those game.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I'm playing DA now on the xbox
Traitor >:(
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Honestly?
I'm tempted to say DA:O is actually better than Risen. Mainly because of two things: firstly, the story was better and has a lot more choices and consequences and, secondly, it was generally a lot more polished (read: finished) product. With DA:O things were thought through, there don't seem to be any sorts of 'loop-holes' gameplay- or story-wise. Although, direct comparison is of course a tad bit difficult since in most ways DA:O and Risen work completely different - the similarity is in the fact thet they are both role-playing games in swords & magic setting and that's pretty much it. Combat is entirely different between the two, but I think in Risen combat plays a larger role - a lot of things in DA:O can be accomplished with stealth, cunning and detours. Witcher was quite a disappointment to me, to be true. It was refreshing and had an interesting, gloomy setting which was enough to keep me going for about the first half of the game - after which it all went downhill with the endless repetition and ridicilous plot twists in my opinion. I have never played Divinity II so I have no clear opinion about that.

Simplified?
DA:O &#8805; Risen > Witcher

Simplified++?
Fallout(1/2) &#8805; Planescape Torment > DA:O &#8805; Risen > Gothic 2 > Baldur's Gate(series) > Witcher &#8805; Mass Effect
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Kashluk wrote:Fallout(1/2) &#8805; Planescape Torment > DA:O &#8805; Risen > Gothic 2 > Baldur's Gate(series) > Witcher &#8805; Mass Effect
Algebra! :dance:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Planescape Torment / Gothic 2 = Witcher * Mass Effect^2

:chick:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

It's interesting that you put Witcher so low since it got such high praises by the polish propaganda. Risen is the Gothic sequel thing right? I never played the Gothic games.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Kashluk wrote:Simplified++?
Fallout(1/2) &#8805; Planescape Torment > DA:O &#8805; Risen > Gothic 2 > Baldur's Gate(series) > Witcher &#8805; Mass Effect
Personally, I put G2 over Risen - it's a far more polished product with a more interesting and engaging storyline. Dwagons are hardly original but they fit the Gothic universe perfectly.
The only place where Risen is over G2 for me is melee combat.
POOPERSCOOPER wrote:It's interesting that you put Witcher so low since it got such high praises by the polish propaganda. Risen is the Gothic sequel thing right? I never played the Gothic games.
You must, you must! If the poop rots through the glaze we'll never be able to use the dinner service again!
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Haha, just became a Reaver D:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I started a rerun as a gay negro elf mage. Should be interesting.
POOPERSCOOPER wrote:It's interesting that you put Witcher so low since it got such high praises by the polish propaganda. Risen is the Gothic sequel thing right? I never played the Gothic games.
Well, low is a relative term. I really liked Mass Effect, I think the story in that game was one of the best in any game in the last couple of years -- and then I liked Witcher more than Mass Effect. I was just comparing some of the more top-notch RPGs (in my opinion). Notice how there's no mention of games like Final Fantasy, KOTOR or Vampire: Bloodlines in that equasion? Witcher is top-notch, but not the greatest thing ever.
PiP

Post by PiP »

Kashluk wrote: gay negro elf mage
:drunk:

thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Anyhow, I thought Bloodlines was pretty damn good (if you can ignore repetitive models).

Can I dare you to comment on how Drakensang would fit in your algebra? I only tried the demo and I found the mechanics/char-sheet to be promising but the world and game altogether unappealing.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I didn't dig Drakensang at all. Graphics-wise it kinda resembles Dragon Age (less character details, though), but otherwise they have nothing in common.
PiP wrote:
Kashluk wrote: gay negro elf mage
:drunk:
ImageImage

It has been awesome so far. It's going to be one hell of a rerun. I've been doing exactly the opposite (or just different, anyhow) choices than I did with the previous character. There's enough new stuff to keep you occupied for at least two play-throughs, I must say. Though, it's hard to tell if there's anything new and refreshing left after that, except the origin stories of course.
Last edited by Kashluk on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
PiP

Post by PiP »

so this game not only has gigantic dildo swords force-attached to back but also oversized hands :chuckel:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

That negro elf mage is definitely gay. :gay stare:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

The oversized hands are elves only. Human and dwarven hands are 'normal'. The character is slowly forming into a much more interesting person. The category he falls into (at the moment) is something along the lines of gay negro elven mage, who is greedy and sadistic and has a burning hatred towards humans.
PiP

Post by PiP »

some sarta magic-negro / black-panther kinda guy? :clap:
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Susan how did you become a Reaver? I never got that one - is it the alien warrior guy you get it from? The one in the cage, I mean.

also - thought *through*? Thinking things through would've been me becoming king rather than deciding between 3 other people.

Being a sadistic bastard I could've killed them and taken control for myself.

Thought through....pffft........
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

cazsim83 wrote:Susan how did you become a Reaver? I never got that one - is it the alien warrior guy you get it from? The one in the cage, I mean.
Sten likes cake. The cake is a lie. But no, you don't get it from him. Hint: dragons and ashes.
Our Host!