Stock Market Game!

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Stock Market Game!

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Ok so I'm pretty sure I can make some cash in the longterm if I get in on some health Insurance Stock, but I really dont know how to go about buying/tracking stock. Can someone give me some tips? Like good websites to buy through and whatnot..
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Wouldn't insurance stock be a bit risky right now with the government trying to make universal healthcare, thereby making insurance companies obsolete?
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

If you've been paying attention to any of it, the government isn't making them obsolete, its basically just another system on the market to compete with existing companies.

I don't know much about buying stock though, I don't think we should be the people to ask, honestly.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Yeah, I'm gonna get some books on it. I think if you look at the health insurance situation right now, on the surface it looks bad for insurance companies, but behind the scenes I think its looking worse for the public option.

I'm betting Obama is gonna bitch out on this one and will achieve the opposite results of what he told folks he was gonna do.

Thanks for the quick input though, guys. DaC should have some stock talk going on here. Videogame nerds are perfectly bred for stock market games, so lets do it up!
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Do exactly the opposite as your neighbour and you'll win this game.

Also, health insurance legislature is prone to change and considering the size of current US liabilities it will change in the post-Obama era, so you can forget about making long term bets on it.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Agreed about a vague future... you might consider looking into cloud/web app companies...rapid development and use(whatever company made basecamp). Health insurance could go either way really.

If you want guaranteed money...bonds are good though not exactly the highest return. But...once they mature, you'll have the money.
...signatures? WTF?
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Take Pittsburg and the points at home against San Diego in a rematch of last year's AFC championship game.

I like the Jets to cover the spread and win outright against the Saints,coming off a tough road win against Buffalo

Look for the Patriots to cover their 2 against the Ravens in a defensive struggle. Pats 16 Ravens 13.

Always take the over when the Colts play an NFC West team.

I see the Vikings getting a lot of action against Green Bay, make a move before Vegas lowers it to even things out.

Seriously, my IRA and kid's 529 college account got shredded in half when shit tanked (time to think Community College, princess). Bonds and CDs are ridiculously low (why do they even advertise rates that are below inflation like it some kind of bargain?).

I sometimes wish I had the time and interest to devote to picking stocks like I do frivolous shit like getting high, reading trash, wacking off and watching football. But it ain't gonna happen.

Go read some insider shit like Motley Fool. Nobody's flawless when it comes to investments, but I'd tend to defer to someone reputable, who's livelyhood depends on it, than roll the dice myself, because I can't be bothered to immerse myself in self improving shit like working out, studying foreign languages, or personal hygene.

Bet on sports, even a monkey can go .500, that's better than than any brokers done the last 3 years.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

most bonds are adjusted for inflation, so thats normally not a worry. again...not a huge gain by any means but a lot safer than most it seems these days.
...signatures? WTF?
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

read some stock investing books first, like "The intelligent investor". Also, remember that investing is long-term, while short term is speculating/gambling unless you have insider info
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Caleb wrote:most bonds are adjusted for inflation, so thats normally not a worry. again...not a huge gain by any means but a lot safer than most it seems these days.
Some bonds, such as TIPS, offer some protection against inflation, but plain vanilla bonds react to increased inflation expectations. So once inflation expectations increase, market rates shoot up and the value of your bonds or bond funds decrease. Market interest rates are currently almost at an all time low so further appreciation seems limited. If you do worry about inflation, short term debt securities(t-bills, money market funds) would be the preferred choice rather than longer term bonds. You can buy treasury bills and bonds directly from ze government, but I suggest placing at least some of your savings in non-dollar denominated bonds as well. Note that the primary purpose of investing in treasury bonds is wealth preservation and not getting filthy rich and fast.

As for stocks and other risky securities, it's a loser's game for most and you should do some heavy reading before you even consider opening an account at a brokerage. The Intelligent Investor is certainly a good start, but the language is a wee bit outdated. I found the revised 1973 edition rather good.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

VasikkA wrote:As for stocks and other risky securities, it's a loser's game for most and you should do some heavy reading before you even consider opening an account at a brokerage. The Intelligent Investor is certainly a good start, but the language is a wee bit outdated. I found the revised 1973 edition rather good.
I whole-heartedly agree. And it's not even really worth the time, risk and effort unless you've got enough excess capital to spend. And no, we're not talking about hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Five digits is starting to sound OK.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Huh...i stand corrected...i was given bonds often by family and know they were inflation adjusted, but haven't researched it as heavily as i should. I've never wanted to get involved in stocks...due to being told by many that if you try to play the game...you'll get shredded by those who know how to work it. Real estate used to seem stable and...in the long term seems to be, but then again, all investments are risky. Except those that sell themselves.
...signatures? WTF?
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Dutch wrote:Wouldn't insurance stock be a bit risky right now with the government trying to make universal healthcare, thereby making insurance companies obsolete?
Insurance companies engage in a form of virtual collusion... so the Invisible Hand is NOT functional.

Note to Market: fake it and LOSE IT.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Ok so I've learned so far that Analysts have no idea what they are talking about and it is statistically a very bad idea to take their advice.

Thats all I know right now. Frankly, I have no expereience with investing, but there's a first time for everything. I've decided to learn alot more about this before getting involved. I'm listening to a seminar now by some chick. It's ok, kinda general but good I guess.

Also consumer experience is important. "If you like the store, you'll like the stock."

Ok so I'm thinking about now what to get into if I ever do. hmmm, probably start in the entertainment industry maybe as I think I know a bit about flicks, videogames, gadgets, and shit.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Dogmeatlives wrote:Ok so I've learned so far that Analysts have no idea what they are talking about and it is statistically a very bad idea to take their advice.
Indeed. Everybody has their own agenda, which is not necessarily the same as yours.
Thats all I know right now. Frankly, I have no expereience with investing, but there's a first time for everything. I've decided to learn alot more about this before getting involved. I'm listening to a seminar now by some chick. It's ok, kinda general but good I guess.
Two good books on investing for beginners that I recommend are A Random Walk Down Wall Street and Unexpected Returns. The former is a concise but somewhat naive review of basic financial theory and explains the concept of index investing, which is the most suitable alternative for non-professionals. The latter complements on the fallacies of the former book and more thoroughly explains the concept of valuation and the cyclicality of markets. Of course, there's a number of other books out there but at least these two don't overlap and offer enough food for thought that prevent you from making the worst possible mistakes.
Also consumer experience is important. "If you like the store, you'll like the stock."
Phrases and 'rules' like that are generally useless and potentially harmful. A stock can be overpriced even if the company itself is sound and profitable. The book Thor suggested should make this point clear.
Ok so I'm thinking about now what to get into if I ever do. hmmm, probably start in the entertainment industry maybe as I think I know a bit about flicks, videogames, gadgets, and shit.
Remember that you're competing against industry experts with more 'muscles' than you. Stock picking requires skill, experience and complete control of your emotions. And the edge you can gain is minuscule in relation to the time and effort it takes.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Dogmeatlives wrote:Ok so I've learned so far that Analysts have no idea what they are talking about and it is statistically a very bad idea to take their advice.
Of course.

Also, be sure to watch "Wall Street". Gordon Gekko knows where it's at.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Greed is good. :google:
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Greed works.
...signatures? WTF?
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Damn skippy.
ferrywayes
SDF!
SDF!

Post by ferrywayes »

Hey Dogmeatlives,
I read your query about how to buy stocks and all.so i am advising you have to
go in stock broker shop here is the link
http://www.keepandshare.com/htm/stock_broker.php
afterwards he will open your a/c for stocks and he will also povide you tips for great stocks
to purchase.

Thanks..
Our Host!