We're destroying DAC.

Make dumb suggestions so we can ignore them. I'm lovin' it.

Approve?

Yay
32%
Nay
68%

Total votes: 22

Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Clueless wrote:Why and for what purpose(s) are alterations to the forum layout being considered ?
Ask toxic.
Wolfman Walt wrote:Leave it as is. Just cause you can change something doesn't mean you should.

Let me ask this - how would totally changing the layout improve the site?
Totally changing...? I think you're being overdramatic, if not nostalgic.
Point is to focus a bit more on PA, or at least have part of the forum dedicated to it.
This is in addition to more things that aren't quite in place yet.

It's not going to change everything, it's just a gentle nudge in the right direction. Resting on the current DAC way of things wont do any good at all.
Testicular Pugilist
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:
MR Snake wrote:Does this mean Tingle Tangle will actually do what she is suppose to and moderate? As opposed to jumping in every 6 months to say lol?

Just wondering.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Tingel Tangel
Fascist Bitch
Fascist Bitch

Post by Tingel Tangel »

You having to ask that question must mean that I do succesfully moderate without you noticing. It doesn't require posting. :chick:
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Tingel's fairly active. Most of the time there's very little to do, but she moderates actively and gives input on most things, at least in the management.
Testicular Pugilist
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Yea right.

She has only been active in this months, usually she does fuck all. I clearly remember checking her account and she had not been online for like 2 months, nice moderator with dedication! Kind of like Gimp Mask, why is he a moderator? What about Xbow, has anyone ever seen him online.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Uhm... I've been inactive for at least as long while having mod powers, what's your point? The forum's mostly dead anyway.

She does what she's supposed to.

Where can you see activity anyway? You mean because she didn't post? Ever heard of a lurker? Ever checked the post count? :D
Testicular Pugilist
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Tingel Tangel wrote:Smiles and Catman are too quick for me :(
MR Snake doesn't have access to the login history, so he wouldn't even know how often you're on.

Also - you and Smiles will be alone - KoC said I'm no longer admin - I just have control over news.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Smiley wrote:
Clueless wrote:Why and for what purpose(s) are alterations to the forum layout being considered ?
Ask toxic.
Wolfman Walt wrote:Leave it as is. Just cause you can change something doesn't mean you should.

Let me ask this - how would totally changing the layout improve the site?
Totally changing...? I think you're being overdramatic, if not nostalgic.
Point is to focus a bit more on PA, or at least have part of the forum dedicated to it.
This is in addition to more things that aren't quite in place yet.

It's not going to change everything, it's just a gentle nudge in the right direction. Resting on the current DAC way of things wont do any good at all.
None of that post answered my question. How does changing the layout IMPROVE the site? How does merging General Gaming and sex,drugs, etc, etc into general discussion IMPROVE the site? I understand that you're trying to shift the focus into a more post apocalyptic oriented site instead of just fallout, but how does the aforementioned changes accomplish this? Again, and this time for repetition since we seem to like ignoring my questions - how does changing the layout improve the site?
Tingel Tangel
Fascist Bitch
Fascist Bitch

Post by Tingel Tangel »

The gist of it is, that a few subfora have the majority of activity, whereas others are completely barren for times on end.
The hope is that merging some of the fora, which receive varied levels of activity, will create one, very active forum.

This would hopefully generate more varied discussions, as well as constant activity in that one forum - instead of the situation we have now, where quite often, one can come back online after several hours, and not see any new posts in the discussion forums.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

But general gaming and sex, drugs, and RR are both active almost all the time. I agree that merging all the fallout stuff doesn't sound too bad, but those two forums seem to be fine as IS. They both have concentrated areas, they both almost always have new posts, and they both have various discussions goin on. If this is about activity in forums, then I don't see how you could possibly merge those two into general discussion.
Tingel Tangel
Fascist Bitch
Fascist Bitch

Post by Tingel Tangel »

True, that's the case right now.
A few weeks ago, it wasn't.

It differs - which it shouldn't.
I'm only speaking personal opinion here: not as a messenger from management - but I believe that merging the forums into one larger one, and then maybe not calling it 'General Discussion' would guarantee that we don't have dry spots.

Alternatively, maybe leaving gaming as is, and merging SJRnR and GD. Seeing as the GG forum seems to be the one causing most uproar.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

But general gaming and sex, drugs, and RR are both active almost all the time.
Active doesn't mean flooded or anywhere near it. Just because you see the forum icon uplit everytime you log on, it doesn't mean there's more than one or two posts there. (And mostly, there isn't)

We have too many subfora as it is. Generally it sounds like we should keep General Gaming out of it, for people's comfort.
Management wise, we could easily do it, and it wouldn't be messed up at all. Unless you only see 10 threads displayed.
If this is about activity in forums, then I don't see how you could possibly merge those two into general discussion.
Easily. I don't see how you've reached that conclusion.
Mate, I look at the forums every single day, checking them multiple times, at work and at home. There's honestly nowhere near that much activity.

If you don't want to see them merged, then say that, it'll count for more :)
Testicular Pugilist
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Rictus wrote:Ask
Content to champion a direction and to invite and forget inquiry. Ahahaha, you are nothing if not consistent. :drunk:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Then by your logic, we should just only have one forum for maximum activity. It just doesn't work well this way. When I go to general discussion, I don't wanna see shit about video games or movies, I wanna see general discussion and vice versa.
There's honestly nowhere near that much activity.
Subjective - there's almost always a new post there daily. Again, this is asinine and still doesn't answer my question. How does condensing everything improve the site? How does the appearance of being more active improve the site? What are we trying to accomplish, because just grouping everything into one forum doesn't really accomplish anything. Appearing to be more active doesn't actually MAKE us more active. Why not just make one forum called "FORUM" and then we'll have ALL the discussion we could ever want and it'll be the most active forum on the site?
Just because you see the forum icon uplit everytime you log on, it doesn't mean there's more than one or two posts there.
So we gotta fill some sort of daily quota for the forums to NOT be merged or something? You youurself just said that GG and SD&RR are active. Sorry, this is a stupid idea. There, I said it. I don't care about merging the fallout forums because that kinda makes sense, those all kinda fit together anyways, but general discussion, video games, and media are three radically different topics and do not belong together. Especially video games, we are still primarily a video game site, wether you acknowledge it or not. This little shift to "post apocalyptica" doesn't change that.
Last edited by Wolfman Walt on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

It seems to me that the most active sections of the forum are General Discussion and Sex, Jet, and Rock n' Roll; so why merge them together and create a message board clusterfuck? Seems to me like that'd be a rather unwise thing to do, especially since you guys make it out to be that you're trying to make the site flow a little better.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

wait what? Merging the sub forums? Ugh, I completely agree with Walt. It's like when I look at the codex site. If I want to read up about space sims I click on the space sims forum and don't want to have to shovel through a shit pile of why the latest VtmBL patch is stupid/great/nude models to find out about a cool little number.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Stuck in a Loop wrote: consistent

Wolfman Walt wrote:Then by your logic, we should just only have one forum for maximum activity.
:rolleyes:

If that's my logic, then why haven't I suggested to merge all fora?
No, it suits the boards activity, that's the logic.

It just doesn't work well this way. When I go to general discussion, I don't wanna see shit about video games or movies, I wanna see general discussion and vice versa.
Contrarily I don't want to skip through 5 subsections to see that Blargh's posted another " :drunk: " post in a random thread.
Now that's subjective.
How does condensing everything improve the site? How does the appearance of being more active improve the site? What are we trying to accomplish, because just grouping everything into one forum doesn't really accomplish anything.
Not sure what Toxic's original thought was apart from the fact that we just have too many subsections, it's honestly a bit of a mess.
Apart from looks? Nothing much. There doesn't need to be, either.
No one's ever stated that there will be any vast improvement. I happen to like the idea, so did some of the others in the management.
At the very least something is happening, a bit of change, the first of hopefully many to come over the next few months.
Appearing to be more active doesn't actually MAKE us more active.
Doing nothing at all does even less. *shrug*
So we gotta fill some sort of daily quota for the forums to NOT be merged or something? You youurself just said that GG and SD&RR are active.
I said they're the most active of all the fora. As in someone posts there.
Sorry, this is a stupid idea. There, I said it. I don't care about merging the fallout forums because that kinda makes sense, those all kinda fit together anyways, but general discussion, video games, and media are three radically different topics and do not belong together. Especially video games, we are still primarily a video game site, wether you acknowledge it or not. This little shift to "post apocalyptica" doesn't change that.
You don't have to apologize for having an opinion. If I didn't want it, I wouldn't have asked.

Please keep in mind that the direction we want to take is keeping this a PA(with more focus on Fallout), and not a video game site as you state or believe. If that was the case we would've brought more news about just about anything.
I understand that you do want to talk about other games with the people here, so there is a possibility to do that.

Part of the downfall of the community is the inbred and stale condition we're in. This isn't the local pub or sanctuary for goatse and tubgirl fetischists.
This might come as a shock to some, but catering to the local group has never been the goal of the management, not before my time there and not now.
We are listening though and if the things we do pleases the board members, so much the better. There are people who want to keep the current community in the management as well, so the locals are represented, don't worry. I'm not about to clean out anyone either.

If there's going to be a future for this site and community, then we will try and shift the focus onto PA and encourage more of that.
I'm thinking we should keep the sub-sections as is, but maybe move them below the new PA stuff. There shouldn't be much trouble with that, if people can't be bothered to scroll a bit more down to talk with the locals, then.. yeah.. they don't have any real problems then.
Testicular Pugilist
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Question, and I don't even care about the answer because it doesn't matter, but I want the point to be made with the question. Why even make a thread telling us this, especially one with a poll? You obviousily don't care what people think and no matter HOW I argued this - it wouldn't matter. Even if every person said something, you'd change it, so why make a topic for it?

The only thing I'll say is that you're alienating long term members for whatever the hell it is you're trying to accomplish. I hope it's worth it.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Question, and I don't even care about the answer because it doesn't matter, but I want the point to be made with the question. Why even make a thread telling us this, especially one with a poll? You obviousily don't care what people think and no matter HOW I argued this - it wouldn't matter. Even if every person said something, you'd change it, so why make a topic for it?

The only thing I'll say is that you're alienating long term members for whatever the hell it is you're trying to accomplish. I hope it's worth it.
Wow, you've obviously not understood a word I've said, you're overreacting. Just because I'm not entertaining your expectations of what is and isn't, doesn't mean that I'm not reacting on what you're saying.

Didn't I just say that I figure we don't merge them all afterall?
Smiley wrote:I'm thinking we should keep the sub-sections as is, but maybe move them below the new PA stuff.
(Meaning social forums, not the fallout-sections and new PA part.)

Did you actually read anything I wrote past the point where I said that we're not catering to long-term members? :?
Testicular Pugilist
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

On another note, I'd like to know if everyone who voted no is against any merging at all or just have changes they'd like to see.
Testicular Pugilist
Our Host!