Thirst/hunger, infections, frozen food and gasoline.

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Scannergast
SDF!
SDF!

Thirst/hunger, infections, frozen food and gasoline.

Post by Scannergast »

Hello good people.
I'm playing around with some ideas for a mod I'm currently working on, and would like to present them here. Some of them is perhaps doable, other not.

I've searched around to see if I could find answers, but could not find any. If any of the questions allready have an answer in this forum, feel free to ignore them or delete them.

The ideas:

* Addiction to food and water. What would be a good solution for this?
My idea is to simply add an addiction chance of 100% and some negative addiction-effects. The food/water itself does not produce any significant effect (perhaps cure 1-10 HP and add a few rad points).
This way my guess is using water takes away the addiction without it cummulating.
All this is fairly straight forward (if I haven't missed out on something), but here comes the real problem: how to show the addiction as "thirst" or "hunger"?

I tried to alter the "chems.txt" in core/locale/game to replace one of the existing addiction names/description. In this example I replaced the nuca cola addiction, and put "1" in the nuca cola addiction field under the addiction tab when I created the water entity.

However, this did not work. Any thoughts?

EDIT 2: Seems to be impossible to make this work after all. I misunderstood how addiction works, so we will just get the problem with stacking stat changes.

I have now an idea of implementing a disease/infection-system instead:

Instead of the addiction effect I will have infections. I've made some "homemade drugs" entities which will pose a varying risk of infection when used, which in turn can be countered with different medicine (and their varying side-effects).

Also, my new bandage-system will pose some risk of infection (if the player is not using the rare "desinfected bandage" entity). Instead of a skill enhancing entity, it's now a consumable which can be used only if the player have a specific first aid-skill level.
To counter the bandage level-problem, the player can use scissors to remove some bandage points. These scissors will, however, be rare.

* Frozen food to be used with a stove or fireplace to be able to eat. Any ideas as how to script this, if at all possible?

* Gasoline. Can the necessecity of it be implemented? My guess is no.

And that's all for now.

Cheers!

EDIT 3: What's up with the low/non-existing activity in this part of the forum?
Bad as the game may be in many peoples opinion, it's still great for modding. We could implement many interesting assets in the game if just people kept working at it.
Careful with that axe, Eugene
Our Host!