Bagging the new guys

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.

is fallout 3 the best game ever

Poll ended at Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:54 am

yes
No votes
hell yes
100%

Total votes: 1

ekkaman
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Bagging the new guys

Post by ekkaman »

Do me next do me ive only posted 4 times but come on surly ive said something stupid Do me...The poll was relly stupid it had a 3rd option you guys would have gone for but it didnt show up so eh. I grew up watching the first Star Wars movies when they came out and hated the 3 newish ones so fucking much is that how you guys fell about Fallout3? I know its not the best game going not even in same boat as 1 and 2. The way i see it its Fallout lite
like a mod while waiting for someone to make a real Fallout3 but its never going to happen so i guess you make the most with what you got. I dont mind it but i do play it and the whole time i find myself making excueses for it.
Mods help lol.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

It's like someone groveling in front of Don Rickles for the honor of being insulted in a delightfully borish manner that means he kids because he loves.

The thing about DAC is we know there will never be a sequel to the first two Fallout games. The shame in that is that Fallout was different things to different people. To some, what made Fallout what it was the story, the setting. To old-school CRPG die-hards, it was the skill system and turn-based combat.

Neither of those things are coming back. The latter is because the market would reject it; the former is because Bethesda has barely enough talent on their team to scrape together a fantasy world that is a ripoff of every other fantasy world, let alone a post-apocalyptic Earth that has seamless logic throughout.

Fallout 3 can be a fun game at times - it's potential ruined by the lack of imagination and talent gone into the project - but this has been discussed many times before. On the whole, it is a subpar product, with only one DLC released without major issue, several game-breaking bugs plaguing the title since launch, and a seeming unwillingness by Bethesda to support their product. I have bought three videogames in the past year: Left 4 Dead, The Sims 3 and Grand Theft Auto 4. When it comes to clever design, adding something new to the experiences they represent, consistent internal logic, and a feeling of satisfaction once your goals are accomplished, these games hit the mark despite their flaws.

Fallout 3 by comparison is a hollow experience; and being fairly sure it would be, I illegally downloaded it. I'll probably buy the $39.99 pack with the DLCs included, but the only reason I load it is the hope user mods will some day make it what it was supposed to be and a morbid curiosity - why is this title lousy when Bethesda seemingly believes in their product and espouses pride? Is it self-delusion, or is it like those radical Muslim leaders who know what they're spewing is bullshit but they keep doing it because the people eat it up?

tl;dr version: Shut the fuck up.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

Retlaw83 wrote:user mods
Great post, but I want to hijack the thread for a second and just focus on this.

When are some fucking overhaul mods going to be released? Oblivion was terrible, but when the mod community got their mitts on it they turned it into a workable, and sometimes enjoyable, game.

The tech behind fallout 3 is not bad, so when a proper community with good imagination can get in there and undo a bunch of Bethesda's design choices, fallout 3 can actually be a good game.

I'm wondering if the reason full mod tools have not been released is because of the presence of children in the game. Bethesda I'm sure doesn't want to deal with a potential PR disaster because modders will allow child-killing. The general public doesn't differentiate the difference between user-created content and developer content, just look at some sims mods and little big planet user levels that caused controversy because the media and family groups were too ignorant to do actual research.

A fallout 3 mod with killable children is Jack Thompson's wet dream.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

That's been done. You know, I do semi-often update a thread with links to decent mods I find.

Beyond the point-- how many people do you think are not only skilled modders, but know what makes for a tasteful, enjoyable overhaul? Few could set it up, and even fewer could put it together while doing the original duo service. While I do hold out for such a thing to happen, for the time being, I'm satisfied with skimming for decent, well-crafted individual mods.
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

Manoil wrote:That's been done. You know, I do semi-often update a thread with links to decent mods I find.
Well then I haven't been paying attention. I'll check it out.
Manoil wrote:Beyond the point-- how many people do you think are not only skilled modders, but know what makes for a tasteful, enjoyable overhaul? Few could set it up, and even fewer could put it together while doing the original duo service. While I do hold out for such a thing to happen, for the time being, I'm satisfied with skimming for decent, well-crafted individual mods.
That's a valid point.

Modding is a thankless and often difficult task, especially for overhauls. I work in the games industry, and it's hard enough to switch from one project into another that is already halfway complete and have to learn new rules and framework depending on the situation, but at least I get paid for it. Overhaul modders have to independently learn all that stuff on their own time and often for free, so I certainly don't envy them.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

WHO IS IT IS IT FEELING . . . LEFT OUT ?

Post by Blargh »

Gagging wrote:Do
you suck
Façade wrote:lol.
lewl ^_^

:drunk:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

spokomptonjdub wrote: Modding is a thankless and often difficult task, especially for overhauls. I work in the games industry, and it's hard enough to switch from one project into another that is already halfway complete and have to learn new rules and framework depending on the situation, but at least I get paid for it. Overhaul modders have to independently learn all that stuff on their own time and often for free, so I certainly don't envy them.
I used to do quite a lot of modding. And I'd like to mod Fallout 3 into something decent. Problem? I'm an adult now and don't have the time for it.

Most of the modders out there, I'm sure, are teenagers who have never even seen the first two Fallout games.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

This thread is too long to read so.. ill just comment about me not reading it.

WIN!
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Retlaw83 wrote:It's like someone groveling in front of Don Rickles for the honor of being insulted in a delightfully borish manner that means he kids because he loves.

The thing about DAC is we know there will never be a sequel to the first two Fallout games. The shame in that is that Fallout was different things to different people. To some, what made Fallout what it was the story, the setting. To old-school CRPG die-hards, it was the skill system and turn-based combat.

Neither of those things are coming back. The latter is because the market would reject it; the former is because Bethesda has barely enough talent on their team to scrape together a fantasy world that is a ripoff of every other fantasy world, let alone a post-apocalyptic Earth that has seamless logic throughout.

Fallout 3 can be a fun game at times - it's potential ruined by the lack of imagination and talent gone into the project - but this has been discussed many times before. On the whole, it is a subpar product, with only one DLC released without major issue, several game-breaking bugs plaguing the title since launch, and a seeming unwillingness by Bethesda to support their product. I have bought three videogames in the past year: Left 4 Dead, The Sims 3 and Grand Theft Auto 4. When it comes to clever design, adding something new to the experiences they represent, consistent internal logic, and a feeling of satisfaction once your goals are accomplished, these games hit the mark despite their flaws.

Fallout 3 by comparison is a hollow experience; and being fairly sure it would be, I illegally downloaded it. I'll probably buy the $39.99 pack with the DLCs included, but the only reason I load it is the hope user mods will some day make it what it was supposed to be and a morbid curiosity - why is this title lousy when Bethesda seemingly believes in their product and espouses pride? Is it self-delusion, or is it like those radical Muslim leaders who know what they're spewing is bullshit but they keep doing it because the people eat it up?

tl;dr version: Shut the fuck up.

This is pretty spot on especially about the part of curiosity because Bethesda believes in their product so much. I generally never hold out for player made mods cause I hate knowing that I could be wasting my time playing some shit mod when I have lots of other games that I could be playing.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
FsEtNrDaEtR92
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by FsEtNrDaEtR92 »

If you want people to take you seriously, you should probably pay attention more in English and actually learn to construct proper sentences. That and realize that supporting Fallout 3 will be met with nothing but death threats and ridicule here at DAC. It's pointless to explain why Fo3 is horrible because it's already been done millions of times.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

FsEtNrDaEtR92 wrote:If you want people to take you seriously, you should probably pay attention more in English and actually learn to construct proper sentences. That and realize that supporting Fallout 3 will be met with nothing but death threats and ridicule here at DAC. It's pointless to explain why Fo3 is horrible because it's already been done millions of times.
Our Host!