newbie problem...

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
slayde
SDF!
SDF!

newbie problem...

Post by slayde »

ok, I have read many threads around here so I know I won't get away without a fair bit of taunting and abuse, but...

I'm playing fallout for the first time (...having an awesome time, for I never thought that it would be *that*good...) and unfortunately I'm heading towards the end, the problem being: I just saw that one location was missing on my world map ... after running around for ages in the game, I finally consulted a walkthrough to find out what is missing. it's the "military base" and after wandering to each and every location talking to almost every living being, noone seems to activate it...

as I can't seem to get off the cathedral-location once I entered it, I don't want to miss out on this ... any clue whatsoever on how and where to find that friggin' military base?
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

This will spoil something. Probably. You've been warned.

Don't worry about it. You can enter the Cathedral without a worry, because it and the Military base are pretty much the only locations you *have to* visit in order to complete the game. You will find your way there somehow, I promise you. Hint: extreme north-west, past the desert & mountains.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Refreshing to hear someone enjoying it for the first time, I'm a little jealous.

What did you think of Fallout 3 if you have played it?
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

I too would like to hear your output on fallout 3.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Guys, guys, all he could afford was a Windows 98 at a yard sale. Lay off him, jeeze
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: newbie problem...

Post by Wolfman Walt »

slayde wrote:won't get away without a fair bit of taunting and abuse, but...
Generally if you don't sound like a complete tard, you're ok.

Kashluk basically covered it. You'll find a way there somehow, just takes abit of searching. There's acouple of ways to find the military base, if I remember correctly, but searching for it on your map works just as well.
niejadek5
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by niejadek5 »

slayde wrote:as I can't seem to get off the cathedral-location once I entered it, I don't want to miss out on this ... any clue whatsoever on how and where to find that friggin' military base?
Shit man - You should warn about spoilers in Your post... now my fun, after i leave arroyo, is ruined :anger:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

niejadek5 wrote:
slayde wrote:as I can't seem to get off the cathedral-location once I entered it, I don't want to miss out on this ... any clue whatsoever on how and where to find that friggin' military base?
Shit man - You should warn about spoilers in Your post... now my fun, after i leave arroyo, is ruined :anger:
Wrong Fallout, you whiny twit.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
slayde
SDF!
SDF!

Post by slayde »

wow guys, you're quick ...
so, firstly thanks a lot for your help ....

and since you asked, I'll give you my thoughts on fallout 3 vs. fallout 1... be warned, might get a bit lengthy...

first of all, I think fallout 3 is ok compared to other ego-shooters, because to me this seems the only plausible reference. it's a decent game in that genre - I played it over with a friend who has the hardware for it...
since I remembered when playing the 3rd, that 1 & 2 were all the rage back then I thought I'd give them a shot, borrowed them and installed the first 1 ... well, I never was a big fan of rpg's, all the fantasy ones I lose interest in quicker than my character is created.. so I wasn't sure what to expect...
right now, I'm hit with the supersledge... this game is the best thing I've played in ages. despite some bugs which can cause a bit of panic (when I was running around looking for a hint on that "military base" I reentered the water merchants who re-triggered the first mission und put the timelimit back on my pip....dunno if it would have done any harm, but still...) and some glitches I experienced or read about here, it's insane how much this game drags you into the world of vault13 and beyond... it's, literally, the first game I ever didn't put the music-volume to zero after 2 minutes (in fact, the music supports the mood so much, that I wouldn't turn it off, even though I might never listen to it without the scenery of the game...).
It's not easy to solve - at least for me it isn't -, the character improvement seems to be worked out rather well, the freedom it allows to follow your own path together with a rather deep story considering it's a computer game *plus* that real nice turn of events when you kill the deathclaw by the hub and spot the dying mutant caught me totally by surprise... (anyone else thinking there should have been more of a conspiricy with the owner of the far go traders involved? he sounded fishy to me when I delivered the news.. but maybe I just haven't found it)
the dry humor displayed here and there is very refreshing considering the usual standard of violent computer games (needless to say, so far I rather followed the boyscout path, being rather honest, a nice guy and all that - I'm looking forward to other approaches...) alltogether it is a wonderful game. and as weird as it sounds: I love the graphics, for which the word artwork is rather appropriate. not that I don't like games with high-end graphics if they don't fail to create a nice atmosphere ... but what I mean is: with all the restrictions of the hardware of that time how could they do something that good? some of the death-animations when you burst people with the combat sg, the surroundings in the cities etc., I really like what they did here ...
so, the conclusion is: there is just no comparision - fallout3 is decent for an ego shooter and developers might pick up some of the ideas which are rather fresh for that genre and do something with it ... fallout 1 is a unique, great game, which is better in any regard that matters - artwork, depth, humor, plot, suspense. I never panicked for my character in fallout3, if other people in fallout 3 live or die never makes any difference to me except for: "how to continue now" ... so, my two all-time favorite games have a new fellow. besides doom1 and system shock1 (never, never, never ss2!) there's fallout1 as one of the best gaming experiences I ever had... fallout 3 doesn't have any of that...
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

This is the only reason I potentially remotely like FO3. It gets people interested in the first two and ussually they discover how much better of a product they are as compared to the 3rd one.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

I love you Newbie :hug:
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Stick around, slayde, you seem the best new poster in ages judging by your two postings.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

True enough.

Just as long as you aren't related to Liam Neeson.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

If you are related to Liam Neeson, I would appreciate you reminding him that he still owes me three human kidneys when you next encounter him.

A NON SPECIFIC REQUEST. :drunk:
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

Another thing that may help (if you haven't already done it) is downloading the patch. I remember way back when I first played fo1 I kept having problems (I don't remember which ones) that were completely remedied by the patch. As such every time I re-install it I also get the patch before even starting the game so like I said I don't remember which problems specifically it solved. It just made the game much more playable. Also, get the patch when you install fo2 because it saves you from many irritating bugs in the original release.
The AK-47. When you absolutely positively got to kill every mother#$^#&* in the room...... Accept no substitute.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Wolfman Walt wrote:This is the only reason I potentially remotely like FO3. It gets people interested in the first two and ussually they discover how much better of a product they are as compared to the 3rd one.
Jesus Christ wrote:I love you Newbie :hug:
Thor Kaufman wrote:Stick around, slayde, you seem the best new poster in ages judging by your two postings.
And yes, Fallout truly is a great game.

The best thing is that you can complete the game about five or six times and *still* find something new every time. They just don't make 'em like that these days no more.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

slayde wrote:(never, never, never ss2!)
not just appreciates fallout, boy's got attitude! Good! :drunk:
btw, did you play SS(1) "back in the day" or later on? I tried it a few years back but as charming as it is (the idea to have scalable combat/mission/puzzle/cyber aspects is absolutely awesome), this kind of graphics (really crude FPP) puts me off too much..
slayde
SDF!
SDF!

Post by slayde »

yeah, machiavelli, I play the patched version, so everything's fine there ..

thx to you guys I am *in* the military complex now, with my lot being rather at a loss of how to manage at the moment... but hey, I had some conversation with computers and it earned me some xp, so... (and since I'm not at home for the next three days they'll have a fair bit of time to come up with a convincing plan....)

I played ss1 back in the days, couldn't solve it, played it again years later .. well, and got stuck somewhere later again, so I think I'll have a third go at one point where I *will* consult a walkthrough if needed... I have a stomach of steel when it comes to ss1 and the graphics allthough I'd love some more eye candy too...

meanwhile I caught myself thinking, what my next moves in the military base could be.... which made me smile a bit, for it's quite some time ago that I was occupied with a game that much ... so, mutants beware, I'll soon examine if you'd be able to reproduce or not...

=)
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Thor Kaufman wrote:Stick around, slayde, you seem the best new poster in ages judging by your two postings.
Our Host!