Fallout 3 Last Impressions

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Seems like something worth trying. Downloading beta...
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Fuck... I need a job. More importantly, I need money. Gotta get a new rig and Fallout 3... there's so much awesome shit now that you can practically reinvent the majority of the game with a few hours of modding. With that in mind... hell, it won't even be a Last impression. It'll be a new opportunity.

And with the Aliens mod being worked on, and the Phoenix AZ project still coming... honestly, this excitement hasn't been around for a while. Fallout 3, while shit as presented, has potential.
Macky
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Macky »

I'm not a gamer much but have followed a few titles exclusively since my childhood. If something new from a beloved franchise comes up I buy it. Having that said I never played a game from Bethesda before and I hate the RPG genre in general because wizards, knights, and magic spells are stupid and frankly boring.

So having no experience with these kinds of game engines I thought the presentation was pretty amazing. But seriously, I understand where you guys are all coming from as best I can but really, if you only played Fallout 1 and 2 on the PC and never played another PC game; Fallout 3 really seems like more time put into a sequel for a relatively obscure franchise than I ever imagined any company would have committed to.

That said - obviously I have serious issues with the game being a fallout title as there are many bones of contention for me. But if you never played anything like oblivion's engine and gaming structure, the first time you try it on it's not like it's fucking atrocious. there is no need to be dramatically tragic about a game that took 4 years to produce. There is something to it, obviously.

It seems to me that if there was no oblivion nonsense and we all got to try on a "3-d fallout' from an up and coming developer we would have been pleasantly surprised with the size and scope of bethesda's project.
2%
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Macky wrote:It seems to me that if there was no oblivion nonsense and we all got to try on a "3-d fallout' from an up and coming developer we would have been pleasantly surprised with the size and scope of bethesda's project.
Ass is ass is ass. Just because someone else would have made it in your hypothesis, doesn't mean my opinion would have changed any. This could have been the amazing discovery of some guy in his basement after 10 years of labor. I'd have still disliked it as a Fallout game. Bethesda has nothing to do with it.
Macky
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Macky »

Are you saying that spending 10 years in a basement makes me less of a game critic?
2%
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Yes.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

A bad game is still a bad game, regardless of who makes it. Bethsoft doing it means you could predict it'd have somewhat pretty environments, 4 voice actors and a shallow RPG system like their last game.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

No one makes open ended rpg's as fast as Bethsoft.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Fallout 3 was open ended? It only had two endings, one where you died, or one where someone in your party died for you.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Thank you capitan Óbveijous.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

they totally blew that shit way out of proportion, douchebags. I distinctly remember them being like "there are 4 million endings!!"

and there were actually two. You're either a woman killing jerkoff or wasteland Jesus.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Macky
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Macky »

I know I remember that shit : 263 endings or something.

an ending with me carrying a water bottle or a stick? Or what if have a smile and a stick and a frown and a water bottle? It's endless once you start making more objects for me to hold and expressions for me to make.
2%
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Autumn also became a fairly irrelevant element in it all. Even if you didn't kill him for his 1337-cannon laser pistol (pre-Broken Steel), letting him live only resulted in him leaving the room and getting killed by the BOS Paladins outside (or so Sarah Lyons had said).

No references or comparable battles to Frank Horrigan? Nothing ominous and overly-destructive? No enemy that, while obviously not able to tango with Giant-Fucking-Robot, could wipe out a platoon of power armored BOS infantry?

WTF? Where is the unstoppable might that is the Enclave? Did their balls drop off, or did they take off to make a pit-stop at Wendy's?
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I just killed that guy a couple days ago, and didnt even know his name. I was actually like "Yeah, I'll let you live", but as he went to leave I shot him in the face :)
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
General Alexi
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by General Alexi »

VasikkA wrote:My game has been on hold for 4 weeks now so I can't really pass judgment on it yet. I kind of lost interest after I reached the level cap. Who knows, maybe there's a super awesome ending.
:evil_laugh:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I actually haven't fired up Fallout 3 since that last message. Maybeeee....
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

VasikkA wrote:I actually haven't fired up Fallout 3 since that last message. Maybeeee....
I havn't touched it since I foolishly bought Point Lookout.

Stupid friend "you'll like this one, I swear, the story telling is superb!"

SPOILER ALERT!!!

It wasn't.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I'd advise against it. The ending will just piss you off.

Although ending it does let you get to the only entertaining part of the game if you have Broken Steel.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I still don't have the DLCs, I'm waiting until I get a solid internet connection.

Is Broken Steel just more of the same, or are there actual story elements there? I'm assuming it's heavy on the shooter side.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Broken Steel is and is not, KoC. New enemies, new guns, some decent story telling I s'pose but nothing exemplary, if there was any to begin with.

Overpowered Ghoul Reavers and Mutie Overlords are pains in the ass to deal with; both require multiple mini-nukes to kill. Yes, a ghoul that can withstand more than one mini-nuke.

SPOILER Robo eats shit and gets blown to bits, following with the option to trade in cameras for cash in rebuilding his eye lasers. Also end choice between blowing up the Enclave base or the Citadel. The latter means you get the option to crawl into the crater and pull out Dirty Harry's revolver (or something similar of a Clint Eastwood character). New perks are decent additions, level cap is basically necessity.

In the end, KoC, I would say you're best off getting the DLC merely because it gives you the opportunity to mod the game. I would wager that's where the largest opportunity for replay value comes in.
Our Host!