Declaration of Grievances: Fallout 3

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.

Biggest gripe-

Dialogue acting/options
42%
Lack of unique events
11%
Main storyline
22%
Doesn't fucking work!!!
11%
Lack of believable characters/locations
8%
Lack of memorable characters/locations
6%

Total votes: 36

Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Manoil wrote:Unkillable as in, the inability to continue with the plot? Or unkillable, as in, Child's Play? I haven't come across any invincible NPCs just yet
Unkillable as in they become unconscious and wake up later instead of dying.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Retlaw83 wrote:Senister, to be fair, you aren't forced to undertake the killing Harold quest. Secondly, I've shot Harold plenty of times in the other Fallouts.
I imagine most of us have shot everybody in FO/FO2 many, many times.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Hold the phone... Retlaw, has this phonomenon only occurred in kids? If it was the case with other NPCs too, it might be a computer-only occurrence... I could kill NPCs, which later turned out to be plot-necessary, and they would never be seen again. Or even better, some NPCs spawned dead. Or still better, they never spawned at all.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Manoil wrote:Hold the phone... Retlaw, has this phonomenon only occurred in kids?
It should be occuring with plot important NPCs, like Sarah Lyons and your dad. If it's not in your version of the game, it's modded somehow.
- the Vault Dweller
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

there's millions of the fuckers. Just off the top of my head; Your dad, scientist bitch, Lyon jr and lyon snr, random GUNNERY SERGENT INVICINBLE, Old-man-looking-for-android. OLD MANS FUCKING BODY GUARD. Paladin IM ALSO FUCKING INVINICBLE DOUCHBAG, couple of randoms in rivet city that didn't want to die when i had my shooting spree. They were so unimportent I couldn't remember their names, but fuck me. Bethsoft thinks they're importent. For... something? And that's the ones that I remember from the last time I actually played it. Needless to say, the entire lyon clan I've aggroed by killing a remote BOS soldier in the sewers. Guess the whole psychic guards didn't all get the fuck out for this Bethsoft game too.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Well, on my first playthrough, what I can remember as of right now is the Lincoln Memorial Slaver Leader, in the maintainence room. He never even spawned whatsoever. Also, the black guy in the jumpsuit in Megaton stopped appearing, as well as the dog Muffy, and a few others have spawned dead inside walls or floors, the half-clipping polygons spazzing out violently.

I'm pretty sure there are others I can't remember, but there have been a couple important NPCs I have obliterated and didn't see again.

OH RIGHT, Roy Rodgers-- I did just what the demo did, just outside Tenpenny tower, and used a StealthBoy to pickpocket him and place a live nade in his pants. He died, and I never saw him again. Also don't think the quest is going to get any simpler, but... who knows.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Manoil wrote: OH RIGHT, Roy Rodgers-- I did just what the demo did, just outside Tenpenny tower, and used a StealthBoy to pickpocket him and place a live nade in his pants. He died, and I never saw him again. Also don't think the quest is going to get any simpler, but... who knows.
Roy Rodgers is killable. As a matter of fact, there's a quest to kill him.

No one is saying all quest NPCs are unkillable, people are saying all the main quest important ones and some randoms besides are unkillable.

As for things being lost or found dead, apparently the game keeps track of what NPCs are doing, and sometimes they kill each other.
Last edited by Retlaw83 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
- the Vault Dweller
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

But you cannot kill the important ones.. ergo.. Bethsoft is treating us like fucking retards. If i fuck myself by killing a main-npc i should be fucked because I'm a dickwad with a loose triggerfinger. Now you can blast away, and whoever is alive is someone who will give you vital (zOmG!!) quests. Roleplaying up my ass.
spewbag
SDF!
SDF!

Post by spewbag »

i had moriarty from megaton disappear and most likely get owned by a radscorpion somewhere near the springvale school...i went off exploring and finally came back to ask him about my dad (yeh i needed some time to think whether or not i wanted to pay him for info) and the quest marker for moriarty took me to a spot where nothing was... and moriarty was nowhere to be found for the rest of the game! ha! i was just lucky that i had already found rivet city and the jefferson memorial...otherwise i would of had no idead what the hell to do other than wander round aimlessly...lol
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

This isn't an instant messaging program, this is a forum; type like you have a brain you dumb fuck.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

senisterdenister wrote:This isn't an instant messaging program, this is a forum; type like you have a brain you dumb fuck.

Brains on DAC?

Can I have some of what you're smoking?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

You can be foul and grammatically correct.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

but writing "...lol" is only for the post-modernist.

Spewbag is not a post-modernist.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Superhaze wrote:but writing "...lol" is only for the post-modernist.

Spewbag is not a post-modernist.
Yeah. I felt the same way as Senister did, but he summed it up pretty well.

Red, though statistically, you're spot on, there are the occasional times when conversations get interesting, and not just arguments between who can come up with better, sleazier comebacks.
You gotta give this place some credit.
Rad-Ex
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Rad-Ex »

OriahUlrich wrote:My main concern is better dialogue, though it is still better than Oblivion. If i might add. I would like more quests with a lot better intriguing dialogue.
i hate gob the ghoul in megaton, he talks friendly then wimpers dont punch me when you say goodbye... fuckin pussy
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Dialouge is what killed the game. But Malcom Mcdowell did the best out of all the voice actors.
WORLDonFIRE
Regular
Regular

Post by WORLDonFIRE »

Dogmeatlives wrote:You guys, I can honestly say that I actually puked while playing this game last night! My sis blames it on the cheeseburger I had, but I know it's that stomach-churning dialogue.

I also wonder why nobody has called Bethesda out on the way their stubborn unwillingness to improve the flaws of Oblivion, while at the same time claiming that they had. I never really got into Oblivion, but from what I hear, the same gaping flaws exist in FO3 that existed in Oblivion. The voice acting is still terrible, the melee combat is still whack-a-mole-esque, and other shit I don't care to mention. Anyway, whatever, its bedtime.

Also, where is Harold? I haven't run into him yet, but I'm assuming he's in that LOTR area where the dudes with sticks on their clothes are.
Why do you live with your sister?
Fallout:3 they changed it now it sucks!
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

He had some sort of fucked up childhood, s'what I heard.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

and who knows, maybe she's hot?
Drunk_Squid
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Drunk_Squid »

Yeah I have a gripe, the power armor sucks ass.
Good thing I have the BETTER POWER ARMOR mod like how it should have been from the beginning.
Our Host!