Reinstalling a real video game

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Reinstalling a real video game

Post by popscythe »

So this Oblivion 2 fucking garbage has made me decide to reinstall fallout 1 and fallout 2 again.

I'm going to start with fallout 1 because I've played it the least. I played the first half of fallout 2 so many times that it's still really fresh in my mind.

What say you gentlemen? Shall we play a real rpg again for the first time?

Before you call me a traitor, I'm reinstalling because I recently reformatted. Yes, I realize I should have had the real fallouts on my ghost image, but I suppose nobody's perfect.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I try to play FO1 or 2 at least once a month.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I had the urge to reinstall both tonight as well. You're not alone Pop.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

I'm about 1/2 way through fallout at this point.

Just to be a snarky asshole and wave it under idiot's noses who claimed that you can't finish fallout without killing anyone I made a good natured doctor/science/speech character and the only person I've killed was Decker. It's not what you think! Someone knocked him down and my 19% to hit went to 78% for the eyes. I just couldn't resist kicking the man while he was down... but I ended up killing him!

I guess Doctor None has a long sleepless night ahead of him, reexamining his moral ethics.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

Oh yeah! I forgot this until I tried to run the game just now... Somehow I managed to get an error that I've never seen before, perhaps relating to the weird thinstall I'm running.

I've a dreaded "Error: Unable to load game!" on all my saves past a certain point! I'm real glad I didn't progress any further before quiting last night, I'd have been fucked.
Roachmojo
SDF!
SDF!

Re: Reinstalling a real video game

Post by Roachmojo »

popscythe wrote:So this Oblivion 2 fucking garbage has made me decide to reinstall fallout 1 and fallout 2 again.

I'm going to start with fallout 1 because I've played it the least. I played the first half of fallout 2 so many times that it's still really fresh in my mind.

Before you call me a traitor, I'm reinstalling because I recently reformatted. Yes, I realize I should have had the real fallouts on my ghost image, but I suppose nobody's perfect.
Haha, I registered just to reply to this post. I haven't played Foblivion yet, but I have been scouring NMA for weeks and recently this site for impressions from FO1 and FO2 fans.

It doesn't sound good.... :(

I have played the first two games twice and consider myself a fan, and I am actually playing FO1 again right now, with the hi-res patch on my 50" hdtv and its still friggin awesome! I also have FO2 installed and will be playing that with the 1.2 restoration.

Guys I work with are raving about Foblivion (on the 360, no less), and they never played the first two and don't even want to....so sad...

So seriously, is it THAT bad? Should I even bother, or maybe wait until I can find it for $20? BTW, I never played Oblivion. I did play Morrowind and had a blast with that, but steered clear of Oblivion when I heard how consoley dumbed down it was. Plus I typically steer clear of any game that 360 fanboys rave about.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

Roachmojo wrote: Should I even bother, or maybe wait until I can find it for $20?
that, or rent it, or be :pirate:.
Then again if you liked both Fallout and Morrowind, Fo3 might be just your thing? But I'm not an expert on Morrowind - Oblivion differences so I dunno.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Roachmojo wrote:
popscythe wrote:So this Oblivion 2 fucking garbage has made me decide to reinstall fallout 1 and fallout 2 again.

Haha, I registered just to reply to this post. I haven't played Foblivion yet, but I have been scouring NMA for weeks and recently this site for impressions from FO1 and FO2 fans.

It doesn't sound good.... :(

I have played the first two games twice and consider myself a fan, and I am actually playing FO1 again right now, with the hi-res patch on my 50" hdtv and its still friggin awesome! I also have FO2 installed and will be playing that with the 1.2 restoration.

Guys I work with are raving about Foblivion (on the 360, no less), and they never played the first two and don't even want to....so sad...

So seriously, is it THAT bad? Should I even bother, or maybe wait until I can find it for $20? BTW, I never played Oblivion. I did play Morrowind and had a blast with that, but steered clear of Oblivion when I heard how consoley dumbed down it was. Plus I typically steer clear of any game that 360 fanboys rave about.
It sucks and you will hate it.
I really hate retards who never in their wildest dreams would play fallout 3 if it wasnt for 360, ps3 and fps. Fuck em all.

A true fan has played ATLEAST the first two and cannot give a straight review on the third installment (not counting tactics or fbos)
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Roachmojo wrote:Should I even bother.
Depends. Can you view it as anything other than Fallout? If yes, it might be worth a rental. If not, it's just sometimes painful to play it as it's basically Oblivion in a costume.
Sounds like you work at Gamestop.
Roachmojo
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Roachmojo »

Wolfman Walt wrote:
Roachmojo wrote:Should I even bother.
Depends. Can you view it as anything other than Fallout? If yes, it might be worth a rental. If not, it's just sometimes painful to play it as it's basically Oblivion in a costume.
Sounds like you work at Gamestop.
No, I think I will hate it. I love Fallout too much to have that memory tainted. That sucks but oh well. Thanks, guys. YOU saved me some money and heartache.

Nah, I'm the IT guy for a utility company in Seattle. Two of the guys I work with are utter pc noobs and complete console tards. All they ever talk about is their friggin gamerscore and the 360. Makes me want to snap their idiot necks.
Last edited by Roachmojo on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

What Walt pretty much said. If you can play and distance it from Fallout, it's not as insulting, and since it has such a loose tie in to the originals I found that surprisingly easy to do. Its an FPS with Orcs, Zombies, and giant, with random tribute references.
PiP

Post by PiP »

Roachmojo wrote:All they ever talk about is their friggin gamerscore and the 360.
:rockon:
snack their idiot necks
:dribble:
Roachmojo
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Roachmojo »

PiP wrote:
Roachmojo wrote:All they ever talk about is their friggin gamerscore and the 360.
:rockon:
snap their idiot necks
:dribble:
LOL fixed!
SEIV
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SEIV »

I likes.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

S4ur0n27 wrote:I try to nerd FO1 or 2 at least once a nerd.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Susan send me a copy of each :( mine were all perma-borrowed or stolen or lost
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

jetbaby wrote:Susan send me a copy of each :( mine were all perma-borrowed or stolen or lost
D: shipping will cost a bunch
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

:piratebay:
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Kashluk wrote::piratebay:
I couldn't find all 3 copies of my Fallout 2 (yes, I actually had 3 copies), so did that. And it just won't run :(
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Stainless wrote:
Kashluk wrote::piratebay:
I couldn't find all 3 copies of my Fallout 2 (yes, I actually had 3 copies), so did that. And it just won't run :(
did you try http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=1593 D:
If that doesn't work it's a hardware problemo mabye. The Fallouts don't work in VMWare for me but they work on my regular computer.
Our Host!