A forgotten Asshat's view.

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

A forgotten Asshat's view.

Post by Doc Hill »

hio! I'm back. I wonder if anyone remembers me...holy fuck I wish I didn't. I still have en emoticon though, yay me :dochill: Anywho, after a couple years to grow the fuck up, and generally get assfucked by a world that doesn't give a shit about a bad line of bullshit, I'm here with my thoughts on fallout 3. feel free to mock and not care!

I'm an oblivion fan. there, more tinder for the fire. The story sucks, the voice acting can be downright idiotic, but for reasons that totally escape me, I keep playing it. I'm getting this right out of the way.

Fallout is a minefield of a liscence, we, or rather you, I don't lump myself with you guys because last time I was here I was a fucking idiot, the fans, are a rather...dedicated bunch, not suprising considering the quality of Fo and fo2.

bethesda had some pretty big balls to approach the liscence, and I'll give them that. Furthermore at least some of their ideas come from previous fallout stuff, including the fo bible, they seem to be respecting the idea of the vault experiments at least. I'm happy about that at least.

A couple things do bother me, the radical change in the gameplay mechanic for one, but I can understand if not totally condone it, they had an engine sitting their made for first person, and now they had the chance to make a Fallout game, so I can forgive them expediency in using the engine. I will say that I loved the isometric view and alot of good games still use it today, so the reason Beth has been giving are bullshit, they should just admit to being lazy.

The radical change in the brotherhood as well, at least they have an explanation in place, I'll have to play to find out how well it was implemented, but it's obvious they at least THOUgHT about it.

Radiation shooting ghouls, nuke cannon, mutants with shopping carts on their backs...NONONO FUCK NO. I will LIVE with this shit, but none of it should have happened, dammit >_<

IF, and this is going to be a shitload of ifs, IF they use what WAS good in oblivion, generally the quests were interesting (except those hell anus gateway quests) SOME of the area executions, and precious little of the humor (I don't know WHHY I like this damn game) And take the best of fallout, the post 50's hellscape, the sometimes madcap humor, the, in my eyes, superb selection of weapons and armor, and some darn nice writing, they might not piss me off.

They have alot to live up to, and probably would have fared better thus far if they had called it Fallout:East Coast, or DC or anything but 3. I have ordered the special addition, because I'm a whore, and I want to believe, very badly, that this will not rape the franchise. Only hands on with the game will tell me wether it is or isn't. but reports on stuff like vault 106 give me at least some hope.

ps. I don't know if I'm back or not, fact is I'm fucking embarrased about my previous shitscapades around these parts, but I wanted to get my thoughts on fallout 3 out and about. Feel free to take shots, or ask who the fuck is this peice of shit. :joy:
Life is like cheap whiskey, it's mostly bad, and leaves a shitty taste in your mouth, but it's better then nothing.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

All has been more or less said.
Only thing remaining is to see what happens, and then piss on it some more.

I'll try to look for a few good points, because even if it's a doomed Fallout 3, it still might be a decent spinoff, and maybe, just maybe, I might enjoy some of it.
Testicular Pugilist
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I might enjoy it but it not going to be like the old games and I know that. As long as it has some good choices and consequences I will like it but pretty much every time a developer say that these days it usually means they have a few big moments with two options and outcomes. I'm going to get the regular edition of the game because all collectors editions are just stupid, all of them.

How the limp, doc?
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

For those who didn't understand my post, it meant that I'll download the game D;
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Fallout 3 will be like the swell guy son your wife gives birth to.
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

ack pooper, don't bring up my bullshit XD really though I'm willing to give this an honest chance, I know reviewers are generally retarded ass babies so I'll look at it myself, and if it sucks horribly, I'll trade it in for fable 2 or summat. Honestly though, I'm usually easily entertained, so all should be good...except for Fobos...that thing was spawned from the urethra of satan :censored:
Life is like cheap whiskey, it's mostly bad, and leaves a shitty taste in your mouth, but it's better then nothing.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Why buy a collectors edition? Does it make you feel special? Oh, no, that's your cripple.
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

I deserved taht,lol. Mostly I'm interested in the art book, however the bobble head and lunchbox will probably go on display somewhere. I have the unnerving habit of loving useless shit.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

I think that the past few gameplay trailers have proven that the franchise is beyond salvation. I hate all this shit that they added in for the "cool factor", totally ruins the feeling of the game for me, i.e. "bad-ass" BoS, portable nuke launcher (what were they thinking ?!) and above everything... slow-mo zoom in and replay of gibbing someone in VATS with a sniper or something... Why the fuck was that necessary? It is obvious for that alone that the target audience is <14 years old.

I'll tell you one thing that would save FO3 in my eyes. I am already aware of the fact that it is going to be a shitty RPG, but it is also going to be a shit shooter. Ever since they adopted first-person perspective, they became obliged to provide a good combat system, but I mean, judging from trailers, Doom II was more advanced. Combat just seems to be unrefined, standard rambo-style run in and aim for the leg to watch the left arm explode... It just looks terrible... I mean, the combat reminds me of Delta Force (without the explosions), that was released in 1998.

Am I seriously fussed about a shitty shooter and at best a mediocre RPG? Not really. The Fallout series is dead, wish I could leave it at that.
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

See that's what kinda gets me, personally, I understand some of this stuff is ....dissapointing, but you can't declare it shit unless you play it. God help me, I've played FOBOS. baragain binned that shit. And after finishing the whole thing...I stuck the disc in the microwave and watched the pretty sparklies.

IT's easy to condemn something, but lets be totally honest and admit we know probably about 10% of the game at this point, Beth has been VERY good at keeping things quiet, and we have a smattering of things to judge by right now.

All this being said, the nuke gun is idiotic. IT remains idiotic, and I will never use that peice of brahmin shit in game.

And something else to remember all the demos have been with the bloody mess perk so far, so it's possible that we won't be forced into a football like instant replay of some guys left leg rocketing off his torso.

I am, at the moment, one of the few Fallout faithful (I've been a part of the community, for better or worse, mostly worse, since early 2001>..>I guess taht MIGHT count)who is cautiously optimistic about this title. but like I said, I survived fobos so I know how far things can go off track, and how bad it can be.And THAT was fucking interplay.

honestly though I won't have more then wishful thinking till october 28th.That will be the true test, if beth can deliver a good story that makes sense,some sense anyway, I'm willing to bet at least a grudging bit of respect MIGHT come out of the community, but if the main story is the pile of shit oblivions was (god WHY do I like taht game?) I expect to read news stories about random riots across the world :chainsaw:
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

I got the collector's edition as well, although I feel pretty much the same way, the more I see the more disappointed I am that everything that was speculated in the beginning (bad stuff) seems to be coming true, i.e. - oblivion w/ guns, however, I am still hoping for a few more shining moments.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Doc Hill wrote:See that's what kinda gets me, personally, I understand some of this stuff is ....dissapointing, but you can't declare it shit unless you play it. God help me, I've played FOBOS. baragain binned that shit. And after finishing the whole thing...I stuck the disc in the microwave and watched the pretty sparklies.

IT's easy to condemn something, but lets be totally honest and admit we know probably about 10% of the game at this point, Beth has been VERY good at keeping things quiet, and we have a smattering of things to judge by right now.

All this being said, the nuke gun is idiotic. IT remains idiotic, and I will never use that peice of brahmin shit in game.

And something else to remember all the demos have been with the bloody mess perk so far, so it's possible that we won't be forced into a football like instant replay of some guys left leg rocketing off his torso.

I am, at the moment, one of the few Fallout faithful (I've been a part of the community, for better or worse, mostly worse, since early 2001>..>I guess taht MIGHT count)who is cautiously optimistic about this title. but like I said, I survived fobos so I know how far things can go off track, and how bad it can be.And THAT was fucking interplay.

honestly though I won't have more then wishful thinking till october 28th.That will be the true test, if beth can deliver a good story that makes sense,some sense anyway, I'm willing to bet at least a grudging bit of respect MIGHT come out of the community, but if the main story is the pile of shit oblivions was (god WHY do I like taht game?) I expect to read news stories about random riots across the world :chainsaw:
Thanks for making me remember why you were so goddamn fucking annoying, Doc.
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

Fuck, you needed reminding? I thought it was natural instinct to be annoyed by me :clap:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Apathy Hedge wrote:Fallout faithful
Funky Cow wrote:cautiously optimistic
OUT OF NEURON ERROR OUT OF NEURON ERROR

:drunk:
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

drunk posting in this thread fuckin yay
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Doc Hill wrote:but you can't declare it shit unless you play it.
Except that you don't have to play anything nowadays to know if you'll enjoy it or not. There's previews and gameplay videos abound so the reality hardly will be much different. Oblivion turned out exactly as I expected to and believe me or not, I was actually cautiously optimistic about it.

It was a huge sandbox filled with generic NPC's and generic black&white quests. I wasn't even for one second interested in the plot nor any of the characters including my own. Quite different from Fallout, eh? That, combined with inconsistencies with the previous games and Bethesda's track record on writing engaging dialogues leaves very little space for a positive surprise.

There's not even a demo available, so you'll have to downlo...*cough* excuse me, buy the damn thing to try it out.
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

eh, like I said, I LIKE oblivion for some wierd ass reason. I still hold you can't actually jduge a game until you play it, but what I think isn't actually natural law>..>
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Quaint Spectacles wrote:natural law
It isn't ? Modern society is sufficiently inane, it wouldn't surprise me if this lamentable consequence extended to the universe at large. So, I must ask : are you certain ?

Ehue. :drunk:
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

:junkyard dog:
Our Host!