Are you going to buy Fallout 3?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.

I will...

...buy the game.
16%
...buy the survivor edition.
13%
...download it illegally.
37%
...not get the game at all.
16%
...will buy the game once it's available for 20 bucks.
18%

Total votes: 38

Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Look. I'm not saying that you can't like Fallout 3 here. What I am saying though is that the sum of your posts can be described as "I LIKE FALLOUT 3 [insult insult insult insult]," response to prior insults or not. You've yet to really DISCUSS anything other than the fact that you like it, from what I've seen. Any point you bring up is easily dismissed, and it just wreaks of you coming here trying to prove that you like FO3 and claim to like the original games to us or something of that nature and failing miserably.

2 things i didn't like about the game
Then you don't REALLY like rpgs. Hell, dialogue and storyline not even need be confined to an RPG, so really I don't see how you can say you like fallout and think it's the greatest rpg of all time when the elements you like best about it can be found in other genres.

Also - If I remember correctly, FO3 is gonna have a very small amount of dialogue compared to many RPG's on the market. I didn't see anything comparing it to the original Fallout or Fallout 2's dialogue numbers, but the fact that Bethesda can't even keep up with the amount of dialogue from games made in 1999.
how i would like to play it
Well good for you. I'm sincerely happy that you enjoy this sort of gameplay, I could stoop and say bladdy blah about how it's ruining Fallout, but anything I bring up as a negative you would probably bring up as a positive. I will say this though, why should they ruin (And I realize to you they aren't ruining it, but look at a MAJORITY of fallout fans that you've seen here, NMA, Codex, etc and realize that there are more opinions than yours) the series by changing it to appeal to gamers like you when the game could be succesful with updates that are more intune with what the fallouts are instead of changing it into a First Person Shooter with a bullet-time esque "Special Bar" to try and appease the fans they should be targeting to begin with?
i got one mother fucker telling me to pick cotton. i mean what the fuck is this shit.
What is to be expected here. It, however, does not mean that you should respond in the same manner. If you have something you wish to discuss then DISCUSS it. Ignore people telling you to shut up, calling you a "swell guy", or homo, or whatever because that's the NORM here. You could be the most accepted member ever round here and be called that by someone. However, you said you wanna discuss, so discuss it. Hell, here's an idea. Make a topic as to WHY you think we're wrong about Fallout. I find that infinetly more respectable than 16 of your 21 posts being composed of insults and non-explanation explanations as to why you like Fallout 3 by simply restating that it's "Made for you," just be prepared to defend your opinion, because if you hadn't noticed: it's not remotely popular.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Something tells me this is an alt?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

the_BlackPipMan wrote:i did like the dialog system and story line in fallout
Well, Bethesda doesn't exactly have an impressive track record in either of these fields. The story line, characters and overall atmosphere of the gameworld in their previous games are void of the finer nyances and details that really make an RPG alive. Instead, you're presented with a massively bland, dull and generic arrangement of objects on your screen, of which you're totally indifferent of. The game world in Morrowind and Oblivion felt at times as if playing inside the mind of a comatose patient. As for dialogue, it isn't even comparable to that in most Bioware and Troika games, for instance. You should use these games as your reference point.

Bethesda's decision of ditching turn-based combat was expected, and frankly, isn't that big of a deal for me. Still, I really enjoyed the tactical aspect of the combat in Fallout and Bethesda's decision steers the series away from the originally intended imitation of tabletop RPG combat. From what I've seen in the presentation videos, Fallout 3 doesn't offer more than a mediocre combat system even by action RPG standards. Again, Bethesda is an underachiever when compared to its peers.

If you want to waste your money on Fallout 3, go ahead, I don't mind. If you're only trolling, I don't mind that either. Luckily, I have some standards when it comes to RPGs.:)
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Post by the_BlackPipMan »

Wolfman Walt wrote:response to prior insults or not.
its kind of hard to give a thought provoking essay of discussion when the majority of fallout 3 sucks arguments in this thread is "fallout 3 sucks"
and hardly any of the argumets are based on actual fact.

take what you said here for example.
FO3 is gonna have a very small amount of dialogue compared to many RPG's on the market. I didn't see anything comparing it to the original Fallout or Fallout 2's dialogue numbers, but the fact that Bethesda can't even keep up with the amount of dialogue from games made in 1999.
um...no. fallout 3 is estimated to have 40,000 lines of dialog in the game. The original games in the series has less than 20 times the amount of dialog lines.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Fallout- ... 9640.shtml
Then you don't REALLY like rpgs.

ummm wrong again. i love RPGs and have been playing them since i was 8. i like actual table top RPGs preferably. when i play a video game i dont want to just sit there. i want to be involved in what my character is doing.
but there are plenty of videogames that include player skill and heavy RPG elements. such as FALLOUT 3.
why should they ruin the series by changing it to appeal to gamers like you
why would a fallout fan label a franchise as being ruined with 3 minutes of game play footage and a fist full of inaccurate rumors.

Ignore people telling you to shut up, calling you a "swell guy", or homo, or whatever because that's the NORM here.
thats a pretty fucked up norm. what the fuck do the mods do?

i can see why its hard for bethesda to take a site like this seriously.
and why most of the forums are dead.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

They tend to join in on the fun.
Only the moderated parts....
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Mismatch wrote:
They tend to join in on the fun.
Only the moderated parts....
i forgot that white americas favorite pass time is baseball and insulting darkies on the interweb.

it keeps slipping my mind.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

tho' we're mostly europeans and french canadians...
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

why would a fallout fan label a franchise as being ruined with 3 minutes of game play footage and a fist full of inaccurate rumors.

the majority of fallout 3 sucks arguments in this thread is "fallout 3 sucks"
um...no. fallout 3 is estimated to have 40,000 lines of dialog in the game. The original games in the series has less than 20 times the amount of dialog lines.

there are plenty of videogames that include player skill and heavy RPG elements. such as FALLOUT 3.
quite an arguments
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Mismatch wrote:tho' we're mostly europeans and french canadians...
i guess i should have just said white people in general.

only safe place from the negros is the internet after all.
LoneGunman
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by LoneGunman »

the_BlackPipMan wrote:

Die in a cubicle fire plz
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

LoneGunman wrote:
the_BlackPipMan wrote:

Die in a cubicle fire plz
*the_BlackPipMan gets away. it wasn't the fires turn.*
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

the_BlackPipMan wrote:its kind of hard to give a thought provoking essay of discussion when the majority of fallout 3 sucks arguments in this thread is "fallout 3 sucks"
Are you sure you've been reading right? There's PLENTY of argument here that makes sense and is backed up.

....No, that doesn't make me wrong. I never compared it to the original. Infact, I EXPLICANTLY SAID that I wasn't sure how much dialogue the original had. I DID however say it had less dialogue than a game from 1999, Planescape: Torment.

http://polygamia.pl/fallout-wedlug-bethesdy

Have fun reading polish. You're looking for the line that says "in Planescape: Torment there were 800,000 lines of dialogue" which by the way, sure as hell trumps 40,000 which I suppose makes me the opposite of wrong.....which is RIGHT? SUPRISE!
I love RPGs and have been playing them since i was 8....but there are plenty of videogames that include player skill and heavy RPG elements.
No. You love the idea of RPG's. You like the worlds they present. You don't actually LIKE rpgs and that quote kinda proves it. You'd rather it be YOU doing all the actions. You've said so yourself. You said you found some of the main parts that make Fallout 3 an RPG boring, so I'm sorry, but you've yet to present me evidence that you like RPGs. While we're at it, I'm gonna bring up something further down. Heavy rpg elements is an innaccuray for Fallout 3. You're basing that on wildly inaccurate rumors. Please do not do it again >=C.

Fist full of inaccurate? Such as what? I'm curious. Most of what I base my opinion on is from the mouth of replacement Nurgle Father, Todd, or anyone else on the development team. So please tell me what wildly innacurate rumors off of, since you seem to dictate everything else I do. Look, I've always gone by the modo that if it looks like shit, smells like shit, and if I can get someone to touch and tell me it feels like shit, why must I taste it to know it's shit?

The series is ruined because they changed the entire genre Fallout 3 is about. Let me think of another way to put it. Say Miyamoto FINALLY went off the dead end and decided not only to make the story completely non-sensical canon wise (more so than it already is) as well as change the genre it's in (I'm thinkin......Zelda: Boxing for the future ) and instead of a 3rd person sort of over the shoulder view we change that as well. I guess first person would make someone like you happy so lets go with something completely new and make this a second person viewpoint game! Sure, we could do that.

Now, while I'm sure that such an abomination would draw in a new demographic who like futuristic second person boxing games, and don't you dare say anything bad about them because in this example they equate to you, that game would cause an uproar. I garuntee it. It'd also completely ruin the franchise by changing the core aspects of what made that franchise great. Even if they threw in things that are familar to the franchise to appease fans, it'd STILL be horrible in the eyes of 90% of the fans and I only need to see the press videos to know that Fallout has been changed that much. I could argue individual points, but I'm gonna presume that what I'm talking about is honest for the sake of something that resembles brevity.

Exactly what they should do. Moderate. Not become petty dictators. There's no need for them to get involved when someone feelings get hurt or some bullshit like that. Think of this as California in the Escape from New York movies. This is the last free place on Earth, mang.
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

FO3 is gonna have a very small amount of dialogue compared to many RPG's on the market. I didn't see anything comparing it to the original Fallout or Fallout 2's dialogue numbers, but the fact that Bethesda can't even keep up with the amount of dialogue from games made in 1999.
tell me were in this sentence you mentioned anything but Planescape?

but thats ok. you obviously want to pull out a random with a ridicules amount of dialog to best. you win thats a shit load.

but since we are talking about FALLOUT here. the argument that wont have enough dialog options is moot. since its GREATLY surpasses the originals in that aspect.

proof i like RPGs?

i guess the fact that i've been playing D&D and other table top rpgs on at least a monthly basis for the last 13 years of my life to punish myself?

real RPG fans play table top games kiddo

and in regard to you comparing a first person fallout to a zelda boxing game...im not even going to dignify that with a retort.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

D5it-m38 wrote:alt?
Possibly, probably. Certainly a waste of time to boot.
Feckless Wonder wrote:surpasses
You write of unknowns.

Now, I shall write of probabilities :

The only way Bethesda can surpass prior efforts is through quantity.

But a torrent of shite it shall remain, even if mixed with shiny, shiny glitter for the benefit of shareholders e'erywhere, at the expense of all those addled magpies. I hope you had the foresight to purchase a bib.

And that is all I shall waste on you, child. :drunk:
Last edited by Blargh on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoneGunman
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by LoneGunman »

the_BlackPipMan wrote:retort.
?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

the_BlackPipMan wrote:tell me were in this sentence you mentioned anything but Planescape?
can't even keep up with the amount of dialogue from games made in 1999.
It wasn't mentioned by name, but it was mentioned.
enough dialog options is moot. since its GREATLY surpasses the originals in that aspect.
The point of some of your posts is that they're updating fallout. If they can't even keep track with RPG's that were made in 1999, much less RPGs that come out this year, the point is not moot.
i guess the fact that i've been playing D&D and other table top rpgs on at least a monthly basis for the last 13 years of my life to punish myself?
We're not exactly talking about table top. We're talking about video games. While we're at it, there could be MANY reasons you play DnD and other table top rpgs on atleast a monthly basis besides just "Liking RPGs." Correlation=/=Causation.
real RPG fans play table top games kiddo
I lawled.
and in regard to you comparing a first person fallout to a zelda boxing game...im not even going to dignify that with a retort.
Probably because you can't. Because I'm right and deep down, you know it. I can convert EVERY single sentence I made into a parallel with Fallout and you won't acknowledge it because if you do, you just automatically admit defeat in this area.
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Wolfman Walt wrote:
Probably because you can't. Because I'm right and deep down, you know it. [/quote]

deep down? like i said earlier i did have some mexican last night. so i am feeling some thunder from down under. but i don't think thats what you're talking about.

were not talking about a fallout soccer game

or a fallout card playing game.

so yes your comparison of fallout 3 to zelda boxing is ridicules.

i would have respected your point more if you said they made zelda into a first person turn based game.

yes i get that FPP and RT combat GREATLY change the fallout experience.

but it wont be the first or the last game that got a heavy gameplay revamp.

super mario
grand theft auto
zelda

and they were more successful because of it.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Aha! You can't do that! You can't do that! The thing about those games is the fact that they still retained their original backgrounds and stayed truthful to gameplay and settings of those series while adding more to it with on a more updated gaming engine.

Fallout 3 has almost nothing left of its original gameplay and has chopped everything out from what they liked of the originals, whether it be story, items, characters, history, etc..., and stuffed them together into one giant amorphous amalgamation of bullshit.
LoneGunman
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by LoneGunman »

senisterdenister wrote:Aha! You can't do that! You can't do that! The thing about those games is the fact that they still retained their original backgrounds and stayed truthful to gameplay and settings of those series while adding more to it with on a more updated gaming engine.

Fallout 3 has almost nothing left of its original gameplay and has chopped everything out from what they liked of the originals, whether it be story, items, characters, history, etc..., and stuffed them together into one giant amorphous amalgamation of bullshit.
Well said, and a very good point
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

senisterdenister wrote:Aha! You can't do that! You can't do that! The thing about those games is the fact that they still retained their original backgrounds and stayed truthful to gameplay and settings of those series while adding more to it with on a more updated gaming engine.

grand theft auto was once a top down driving game.
now its a third person shooter.

mario was a 2d side scrolling platformed.
now its a third person action adventure.

these games did not stay true to original gameplay. and are incredibly more successful because of it.

unfortunately for you, history will remember the same thing about fallout. when bethsdas creation sells more copies then fallout 1&2 combined then multiplied by 30.

you probably wont be satisfied. but millions of people around the globe will be. (many being original fallout fans)
Our Host!