Most Overlooked Games.....ever?

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Most Overlooked Games.....ever?

Post by cazsim83 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrgeiz

I spent about twenty minutes trying to find the name of this game - I've always hated fighting games, except maybe Soul Calibur and Marvel vs. Capcom - so when my friend brought this over to my house one day about .... 9 years ago or something like that, I was *very* disappointed.

However, once he beat me up a few times, he had to go home (thank god) but he left the game at my house so I could 'practice'.

Needless to say, I just went and tried to see if I could find the 'sound test' that so many games had back then, and my god they had a dungeon-crawler questline, which was pretty damn fun I might add.

I remember two characters, and luckily I leveled them up pretty evenly, because the only shit part I remember was the last boss, who, when you defeated him, blew up and killed your character. Making the second character have to go through the whole damn dungeon to finally make it to the last room, have a little nostalgia, and then beat the game.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

What's with Japs being fascinated in German words?
���������
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Ban caszim? :?
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Japanese people are nazi's therefore they obviously love the ones who started it all.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

why are ff7 characters in this
?
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Because the chinks at square penis head dont understand that creating something NEW is a good thing. THey must have at LEAST 99% of their game be identical to the last one and character names MAY NOT CHANGE. EVER. if you are a black buy with a gun your name is barrett, if you are a fire monster you are irfit, if you are an ass tentacle lover whole rapes little children you name is cloud, and you carry a big sword to cover up your generic miniature erectile stub you call a penis/squid probe.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I think one of the most overlooked games was Terminal Velocity by Terminal Reality and published by 3d Realms. It came out in '95 and is sort of a big outside version of Descent on various worlds with some indoor flying. In my opinion, it was way more fun than the whole of the Descent series.

Years later I discovered there was a terrible sequel called Fury3 which sucked balls.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Mad Max RW wrote:I think one of the most overlooked games was Terminal Velocity by Terminal Reality and published by 3d Realms. It came out in '95 and is sort of a big outside version of Descent on various worlds with some indoor flying. In my opinion, it was way more fun than the whole of the Descent series.

Years later I discovered there was a terrible sequel called Fury3 which sucked balls.
tv was one of the best games of that era. still quite good and worth replay. BTW - thanks to hamachi/dosbox it CAN be networked if anyone wants to play(it had multiplayer if i recall correctly...been quite a while)
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I would have to say Laser Squad Nemesis from the guys who made x-com. It came out a couple years ago and was really a cool idea but it just never caught on, if it had a lot more people playing it I would have most likely joined but at the time I didn't think it was worth my time to get involved. It had a unique battle system in which both teams plan their moves then send it in and each teams moves play out at the same time so you have to have a bit of prediction skills. It also had over email play so you could play a whole bunch of games at once.

Theres probably still some people playing it if you guys want to try it out. You could probably play against the computer too but that doesn't sound as fun.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Definitely one of the most overlooked games ever is Hogs of War. Great turn-based combat. Sorta like the 3-D Worms games, but ten times better.
Very funny, and can get quite intense if you play against a skilled opponent.

I definitely recommend it, and can't wait for the second.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I would have to say Laser Squad Nemesis from the guys who made x-com. It came out a couple years ago and was really a cool idea but it just never caught on, if it had a lot more people playing it I would have most likely joined but at the time I didn't think it was worth my time to get involved. It had a unique battle system in which both teams plan their moves then send it in and each teams moves play out at the same time so you have to have a bit of prediction skills. It also had over email play so you could play a whole bunch of games at once.

Theres probably still some people playing it if you guys want to try it out. You could probably play against the computer too but that doesn't sound as fun.
With a better name, maybe it would have been more popular D: When I read about the demo it just sound like laserquest.

POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Laser Tag was THE place for birthday parties as a kid but it was always fuckin gay in hind sight. I would be standing behind some barrier and the chest thing start vibrating and I shoot at other people and their shit never goes off, plus you had to like recharge at stations after like a few shots. I remember they had a no running policy which was really gay too, you would see kids forcing themselves to walk or speed walk but I understood why after I was running and accidentally ran into my friends sister and knocked her on the ground and she started to cry. Her mom came and help her and shes like "go on its okay" so I could kick some more ass cause thats how I roll.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I only went once, and we were going around the place in duos; I was with my friend, he was up front and I was checking our back, but each time he'd step in front of a mirror he automatically shot, moved away, and the fucking thing hit me after bouncing of the mirror.

I still managed not to finish in last position. That was kind of humiliating for the shitty kids who were like 19th on 22 kids.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Skull monkeys and the neverhood.

And just about anything in the underdogs hall of fame.

Laser tag is paintball for swell guy. If you get hit you deserve pain.

google buttkicker.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I still go to laser tag at least once a year. It's a good way to catch up with mates who you don't see often othern then just getting drunk.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

:Cock to face ball bag eye slap:

Go and play paintball instead.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Mad Max RW wrote:I think one of the most overlooked games was Terminal Velocity by Terminal Reality and published by 3d Realms. It came out in '95 and is sort of a big outside version of Descent on various worlds with some indoor flying. In my opinion, it was way more fun than the whole of the Descent series.

I played Fury 3 a long time ago and it was a shitload of fun. Really. One of my favourite games back in the day. And I'm pretty sure I've played Terminal Velocity as well, the name sounds awfully familiar.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

lasertag is awesome as long as you involve some form of contact/bring nerf bats
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

These probably weren't very good games but I loved the shit out of them for their simplicity and fuck around gameplay fun. Destrega and Ghost in the Shell for PS1. Both had abnormally large game environments for the "generation" and genre. I also dug the shit out of the combination of long and short range attacks in Destrega. For Ghost in the Shell I respeced the balls it had to include a gameplay dynamic that was removed entirely from the theatrical release: the Fuchikoma. The sheer amount of crazy acrobatic shit you could do was a blast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destrega

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_t ... eo_game%29
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Shining Force II

I had this one for Genesis. Awesome RPG, nice art style, cool characters with really different styles(centaurs, werewolf, golems, vampires, robots, gunners, birdmen and even ratmen D: ), plus it had a really good turn-based, strategy intensive, combat system. All the ingredients for a totally addictive game.
Our Host!