Ignore function

Make dumb suggestions so we can ignore them. I'm lovin' it.

Ignore this proposal!

YES
88%
NO
13%

Total votes: 16

VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Ignore function

Post by VasikkA »

Since The Managementâ„¢ is unable to ban/asshat certain registered members of the forum, I suggest an Ignore function to be added to the DAC forum code. I visited the Codex the other day and noticed they(DU) have implemented a similar system there. Whenever there's a good opportunity to steal something and claim that you were the first to come up with it, I say why not use that opportunity. DAC should continue to be a pioneer in the field of message board technology and be the first forum to ever implement such a system.

Oh, and asshat cazzim77 and sarge123
sarge112
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: Ignore function

Post by sarge112 »

VasikkA wrote:a pioneer in the field of message board technology
I lol'ed
Tingel Tangel
Fascist Bitch
Fascist Bitch

Post by Tingel Tangel »

sarge112 wrote:
VasikkA wrote:a pioneer in the field of message board technology
I lol'ed
Doesn't take much, huh?

Anyway, that's actually a good idea, Vas - though the question does come to mind whether we're a big enough forum for it to actually be relevant? We are, after all, rather small and exclusive.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Tingel Tangel wrote:whether we're a big enough forum for it to actually be relevant? We are, after all, rather small and exclusive.
DAC's D: community, however, isn't.

And it would only be used on a couple individuals every now and then. Or, depends on your preference, I guess.

And you're lucky I still received your comment.:)
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

As much as I agree with it, wouldn't such a function make DAC totally boring and maybe even productive?!
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I think the ignore function is a bad idea, since it would just make all conversations a bit lopsided. Even if a person who sucked at posting wanted to become better no one would hear him and he would probably leave after awhile.

I also don't need an ignore function to ignore people, I just skip over some peoples posts unconsciously.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Using an Ignore function filters the gnarled mess of reality into convenient pabulum.

Why not just go play Oblivion?
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I agree with Scooper. Just don't read their posts.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Just make Megatron admin
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

I wouldn't have thought that you, of all the tumours with smiles, were so seemingly deprived of willpower, vASIKKa. Comparisons always skew <strike>beef</strike> observations. :drunk:
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

• The Laestrygonians (or Laestrygones, Laistrygones, Laistrygonians, Lestrygonians) were a tribe of giant cannibals from ancient Greek mythological times. Odysseus, the main character of Homer's Odyssey, visited them during his journey back home to Ithaca. The giants ate many of Odysseus' men and destroyed eleven of his twelve ships by launching rocks from high cliffs. Odysseus' ship was not destroyed since it was hidden in a cove near shore. Everyone on Odysseus' ship survived.
The moral of the story is hide like a coward and win.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

Tingel Tangel wrote:the question does come to mind whether we're a big enough forum for it to actually be relevant? We are, after all, rather small and exclusive.
yes, and it's precisely about the power to exclude :yes:
POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I think the ignore function is a bad idea, since it would just make all conversations a bit lopsided. Even if a person who sucked at posting wanted to become better no one would hear him and he would probably leave after awhile.
I get your point, but I still think 'ignore' button would be good, just with a more sophisticated system implemented.
1. you can 'ignore' any member except admins (mods can be ignored)
2. after a month of being 'ignored', any member is 'un-ignored' (this takes care of Poop's concern); then you can only ignore him again after a week.
3. If 50% or more of DAC members with at least 3 years' membership and 1000 posts 'ignore' a particular member at any give moment, he is auto-asshatted for 1 month.
4. If this percentage reaches 90% he is auto-banned.

OR implement only point no. 3 and call it 'asshatting'
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

USELESS

AB KING PRO
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

:ignore:
does this work
sarge112
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by sarge112 »

:lawl:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I don't think we have enough people to really support the ignore feature even if we wanted it, one person being ignored could effect the whole economy of dack.

Make megatron mod.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

i skip over a lot of posts unconsciously too, but the problem with the pervasive level of spam we have now is that i end up opening a lot of topics that have nothing but new posts from sarge or whatever in them. there's no indicator in the main forum display that shows the number of unread posts in a thread. i don't want to open a thread just so i can find out that sarge or caszim found something funny.

an ignore user function is a good idea in principle - for instance, i'd go for pip's elaborate system of checks & balances. however, since we'd all be using it on the same handful of people anyway, wouldn't it be easier to ban ad hoc?
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

What Pooper said about lopsided conversations. We'd have months and months of "He/she never said that, what are you talking about? Oh yeah, he/she's on my ignore list." It would drive me, for one, batshit insane.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Subhuman wrote:What Pooper said about lopsided conversations. We'd have months and months of "He/she never said that, what are you talking about? Oh yeah, he/she's on my ignore list." It would drive me, for one, batshit insane.
I like the idea of seeing the side effects of an Ignore function.

It would almost be worth doing it just to have an Ignore function.

I oppose Ignore because it smacks of ludicrous "Internet Forum Government".

Like the Order on NMA.

And similar bullshit on TRS.
PiP

Post by PiP »

atoga wrote:i don't want to open a thread just so i can find out that sarge or caszim found something funny.
ditto
Subhuman wrote:What Pooper said about lopsided conversations. We'd have months and months of "He/she never said that, what are you talking about? Oh yeah, he/she's on my ignore list." It would drive me, for one, batshit insane.
I don't think that would be a big issue. Most probably people you care to talk to would ignore the same members as you so they wouldn't refer to something you didn't read.
Our Host!