New version of the Mapper! =)

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

New version of the Mapper! =)

Post by Ganymedes »

TeamX has posted a new version of their mapper for fallout and fallout 2 here... (Version 0.93)

http://www.hot.ee/fallout/mapper2.zip

Now, for the problem... I can't click anywhere within the program window without the message: "Canvas does not allow drawing" to appear...
Had that problem with the old version as well, but I didn't mind so much, because it was only a beta version, and the possibilites seemed limited...
Anyone got any ideas?
Fallout Forever!
Sir_Funkalot
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sir_Funkalot »

You cannot edit the maps in this version either it seems, but this time you can see the "materials" you will be using.

You do have installed it in the C:/MAPPER and extracted the master.dat as well as critter.dat into it, haven't you?
The Fallout California Tour | Currently being re-designed, re-structurated and re-wrote. To be finished...
Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ganymedes »

Yes... Well, except from the art/cuts dir in master.dat, the one containing the mves... But that shouldn't really matter, should it..? Oh, and I'm using win98...
Fallout Forever!
Sir_Funkalot
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sir_Funkalot »

Win 98 shouldn't be a problem, as TeamX fixed that in the beta, and I think the OS should still work...
The Fallout California Tour | Currently being re-designed, re-structurated and re-wrote. To be finished...
Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

V. 093c

Post by Ganymedes »

Seems like the guys at TeamX are quite busy...
http://www.hot.ee/fallout/ wrote:Mapper. Просмотрщик MAP файлов от Fallout 1 & 2 . Version 0.93c (30.04.2002) screenshot Прога лежит тута. (First probe with drawing floor tiles; Showing local objects)
Uh.... No Russian text, no? Well, screw it... Here's the translation (babelfish):
Mapper.The checker MAP of files from Fallout 1 & 2.Version 0.93c (30.04.2002)(First probe with drawing floor tiles; Showing local objects)
Well, well, looks like I'll have to give that one another try...
Now... Has -anyone- got a clue what is wrong with my mapper..?
Fallout Forever!
Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Version 0.93d...

Post by Ganymedes »

Now, they've relased beta version 0.93d... It's located in the same spot
(http://www.hot.ee/fallout/mapper2.zip.

Eh... Does anybody here actually care anyways??? No? Well you should! This is GOOD news! Unfortunately it's not much of that nowadays...
Fallout Forever!
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Thanks! - I appreciate the updates, since I'm often to busy to check the site (I'm usually supposed to be too busy to be on these boards as well, but that's another matter..), and this is certainly a util that I want to keep track of.

Hmm, I don't know what changed in this last release, but it seems to be running much slower..

As for the problem with your mapper- I think I know the area that the problem is in (generally), but don't know enough to be of any use or have an idea how to fix it..
Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ganymedes »

No prob, it's my pleasure... After all, this is a holy grail, right? :wink:

Regarding my problem, this is the exact error messages I get...:

When I click almost anywhere in the problem "Canvas does not allow drawing" pops up...
On exit, "Access violation at address BFF7B997 in module 'KERNEL32.DLL' Read/Write of address:<varying number/letter combos>"
Then "Abnormal program termanition", ok, and the prog exits...

Does this make any sense..?

Oh, and Temaperacl, how's FODE going..? Combined with the compiler/decompiler that prog seemed very promising... :)
Fallout Forever!
Sir_Funkalot
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sir_Funkalot »

Emmm... just a question. Can you actualy do something with this version of the mapper?
Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ganymedes »

I would have found out if it hadn't screwed up all the time..! :?
Fallout Forever!
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Sir_Funkalot:
In this newest version of the mapper, you can change the ground tiles. Can't save yet, though..

Ganymedes:
When I click almost anywhere in the problem "Canvas does not allow drawing" pops up...
There are a few possible causes for this-
1) Resource problems.. Try restarting windows, or closing most of the apps on your computer and then running the mapper.. (This might be the case even if it looks like you have alot of resources open because Win98 (iirc) has a set limit for memory for certain types of resources.

2) Bad coding.. It's possible that there is a problem in the coding that is causing this, although then I would think that other people would be encountering it then as well.. But this isn't an area of expertise for me, so I could be wrong..
On exit, "Access violation at address BFF7B997 in module 'KERNEL32.DLL' Read/Write of address:<varying number/letter combos>"
Nothing we can do to fix this one.. My guess is that they try to allocate a DC, fail, are therefore unable to write to the DC (the canvas problem). Then at exit-time, they try to deallocate the memory, but sense it isn't theirs, it is an access violation. In any case, I'm pretty sure this one is a program bug, and there's not much we can do to fix it except maybe notify the developer..
Oh, and Temaperacl, how's FODE going..? Combined with the compiler/decompiler that prog seemed very promising... 7
I was actually planning on finishing up the changes for the next version- some major changes- The "effects" box is now used to hold the entire text of the function, so you can alter that if you want (so that you can have if statements and the like). Also, you should be able to save directly to existing ipp files now instead of having to save to a seperate file.. I should have these changes finished within the day, and I'll post an update when I do..
Dims
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Dims »

I look, you speak about my mapper :P
New version of mapper 0.94a is realised, and aviable on my site
www.hot.ee/fallout

check it now ! :D
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Good to see you here Dims, and I noticed the new mapper was out, can't wait to see a little "save" option...

I was wondering from whom you got the tip on guetting the palettes right when displaying the sprites?
Kreegle

Post by Kreegle »

Tere Dims :)

Half of my family are from Estonia - glad to see you guys are into Fallout as well.
Dims
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Dims »

Red
can't wait to see a little "save" option...

Not soo fast... :wink:
First I shall add possibility of editing of objects, and then saving

I was wondering from whom you got the tip on guetting the palettes right when displaying the sprites?

I got this pallete from internal resources (color.pal in master.dat)
First 229 indexes in B-G-R format, others 27 - animate pixels (computers, barrels with fire...)

Kreegle
Tere, tere !
Mul on rõõm sind näha :lol:
Näeme... :wink:
Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ganymedes »

Ganymedes wrote:Regarding my problem, this is the exact error messages I get...:

Does this make any sense..?
Hey Dims!!! Keep up the good work!!! :D
Kind of wondering... Do you have any clue to what may be wrong with my system..?
Fallout Forever!
Red

Post by Red »

So you don't use the light table provided later? Well, it's rather pointless really, as the light level is determined by script anyway, and not by the map.

I was just wondering if you knew how to use the light table, and if so who told you about it. And the reason I beleived you knew is because GRV seems to render the sprites wrong where the mapper seems right, and I assume GRV was coded properly.
Dims
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Dims »

Ganymedes

Do you have any clue to what may be wrong with my system..?

Wrong in your system...It is your system !
mapper work only with system on NT base (NT, XP, W2K)
Dims
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Dims »

Red

Sorry....What is GRV? :oops:
Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ganymedes »

Red wrote:So you don't use the light table provided later? Well, it's rather pointless really, as the light level is determined by script anyway, and not by the map.

I was just wondering if you knew how to use the light table, and if so who told you about it. And the reason I beleived you knew is because GRV seems to render the sprites wrong where the mapper seems right, and I assume GRV was coded properly.
Light table??? Me no know what that may be... Me no know C++... Me be quite st00pid... ehheee... ;)

Hm... Well the same error occured on the 98 version too...
Fallout Forever!
Our Host!