Bioshock Review

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Bioshock Review

Post by spokomptonjdub »

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/pc/game/re ... 5737169023

Gushing.

Word on the street is that its the real deal. Comes out in a week, I'll be getting it.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

We already have copies at work, the collectors edition comes with a neat MAN IN THE DEEPWATER SUIT AND CRAZY DRILL ARM desktop figure.
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

I'll probably get it.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

People who buy games without warezing them first are cancer killing videogame industry.
Serious Business.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I'll probably never play it. :lalala:
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

I just want to put my new hardware to the test. You can't just spend $2500 on computer parts, sweating to put them together because it's a very delicate process, and not use them, right?
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

farcrysis
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

Koki wrote:People who buy games without warezing them first are cancer killing videogame industry.
Torrentable. I mean, quotable.

Shitty demo didn't even work for me. (sour grapes)
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

Bought it.

Playing it.

Pretty fucking sweet, best game I've played for a good while (few years maybe?), but you have to be an FPS fan. Sure, its deeper than your average FPS, but an FPS it definitely is.
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

spokomptonjdub wrote:Bought it.

Playing it.

Pretty fucking sweet, best game I've played for a good while (few years maybe?), but you have to be an FPS fan. Sure, its deeper than your average FPS, but an FPS it definitely is.
I've played the demo and the graphics blew me away at first. Then the action started and it seemed like just another FPS. So far, I am still enjoying S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I won't jump into that right yet until I know it has more then graphics and shooting. How's weapon upgrading, anyway? Does this game have some cool quirks that make it more than just a typical shooter?
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Why would you buy new PC hardware these days?

I used to upgrade once a year, two at the most. But now, there's so little to play...
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

i`m still waiting for the day, when a console can run pc games and this will be the day i`ll buy one.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

i'll buy the first console that comes with a mouse and keyboard out of the box.
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

The Gamershell mirrors are packed, and have been since the bioshock demo came out. It MUST be good.
does this work
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

100 billion flies can't be wrong
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

it's incredibly short, though. shortest demo i ever played. and don't believe the rumours: there's no need to use the crappy nvidia beta drivers, and there are no problems with widescreen.
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

TNP wrote:
spokomptonjdub wrote:Bought it.

Playing it.

I've played the demo and the graphics blew me away at first. Then the action started and it seemed like just another FPS. So far, I am still enjoying S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so I won't jump into that right yet until I know it has more then graphics and shooting. How's weapon upgrading, anyway? Does this game have some cool quirks that make it more than just a typical shooter?
The biggest quirks would probably be the ecological AI, which you've pretty much seen in STALKER, but its more polished (i.e. not as buggy) in Bioshock. Also, using the different Plasmids and combining them with the environment can make for some pretty crazy kills, if you get creative. And Big Daddy fights are very intense; you'll usually want to survey the surroundings and pick an area where you're comfortable fighting them, "pick your battlefield" as it were.

The story is also exceptional for an FPS, especially when compared to other "story-driven" FPS' like Half-life and FEAR.

The weapon upgrades are pretty limited, but ultimately necessary. You pretty much get to choose between things like increased clip size, overall damage, range, and the like, but some are fairly unique, like the grenade launcher upgrade that makes you immune to your own explosives, or the crossbow upgrade that makes your bolts less likely to break and therefore re-collectable.

Still enjoying it, story is getting more interesting.
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Why would you buy new PC hardware these days?

I used to upgrade once a year, two at the most. But now, there's so little to play...
When you work 12 hour shifts, it's nice to come home and play a game that requires little thinking every now and then. Plus, allot of good strategy games like 'Supreme Commander' require buffets of hardware and I wanna play these games to the fullest.

As far as RPG's go, we are indeed fucked at this moment but the few good ones that do come out also require dumps of the latest hardware.
Urizen wrote:it's incredibly short, though. shortest demo i ever played. and don't believe the rumours: there's no need to use the crappy nvidia beta drivers, and there are no problems with widescreen.
Ran perfectly on max settings for me, and I have Vista. You shouldn't need a top of the line PC to play it at mediocre settings.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Why would you buy new PC hardware these days?

Stop lying, Teatime, you're not even real.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Bioshock was suprisingly good, I like the theme of the game, the feel and the sound.

I only hope its not as short as halflife 2 was.. this game has all the potential of being even better than hl2.

fking sweet demo atleast allthought short as hell.

Well, im off to buy it.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Our Host!