Fallout DS

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Fallout DS

Post by popscythe »

So now that I've got your attention with this amazingly sexy subject line, lets do a little speculating gentlemen.

As we all know, the enemy is at our gates. Our main force has been routed, and it looks like we're finally going to lose our baby to the xbox forever.

However, I was divinely inspired very recently. After doing a little research on custom software to run on my Nintendo DS with a flash device (I roll a r4ds with 1gig tf), I came across homebrew ports of Doom and Quake to run on the DS.

They suck. But very much not to insult the developers, as these projects are amazing, it's just that Doom and Quake have always just sucked way more than Fallout DS is going to.

Here's the bit we've gotta think about.

DS flash devices use minisd cards, the most common and cheap of these being the 1gig. Thus, Fallout DS is going to need to install and run at less than 1 gig, including the swap space needed, which I'll go into.

To this end, I suggest we strip the cinemas down to a slideshow with subtitles, and eliminate all the voices. This should put us WELL within the space requirements, and probably help run the motherfucker too.

Next, FO requires 16Mb of ram to run in winblowz and DX 3.0a, and the Nintendo DS has 4MB built in. To cover running FO on 4MB, we're going to need to set aside some of that 1gig for swap space. This is also going to hurt the performance of the game, as the swap is slow. I'm going to look into it, but we might need to trim lots of frames out of walking and such to make the real time part of FODS not make us all kill ourselves over lag.

Since homebrew on the DS requires some linuxy lovin (Moonshell), we're going to need to factor those requirements into running it. If any of you information lugging bastards have any info about FO linux before I go from here to read up, let me know.

Hmm, I'm sure I've forgotten lots and lots of things that are going to make this nearly impossible. However, instead of a rallying cry to start up the suicide project, I guess I'm looking for input.

Any wastelanders in the hizzy up on their DS? Is this even a project that would appeal to anyone besides myself? Even if we get it ported, would you lovely chaps be willing to see your beloved treasure stripped down like I mentioned above in order to hear the delicious sounds of 10mm smg shredded meat hitting the floor... in the john? On the bus? Turned way down and held close to someone's ear from behind before you take your revenge?

I would be. And if I don't miss my mark, you fuckers are too.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Re: Fallout DS

Post by Koki »

popscythe wrote:Doom and Quake have always just sucked
Stopped reading, someone ban that idiot.
Serious Business.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Re: Fallout DS

Post by popscythe »

Koki wrote: Stopped reading, someone ban that idiot.
*laugh* It's good to see that as usual, the fastest response is usually the one from the person who's least likely to offer anything useful but a wicked fast trollerfinger.

Draw, pilgrim.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Why not make it on the PSP?

popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

DaC-Sniper wrote:Why not make it on the PSP?
I don't own a psp. The DS gods are the ones who commanded me to undertake this project anyway, I might get the complete fuxor if I disobey them.

Edit: Oh yeah! Touchscreen Fallout would be like mouse only fallout... At least more than fucking dual thumbstick fallout corpse rape.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

No, you don't understand, you are an idiot.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

I own a DS and a new Fallout on it would be great, but I don't really see much point in recreating the old games in a lobotomized version. I've played them zillions of time already and I don't need to play them on the bus. But kudos for thinking about such a project.

PS: like the cut of your jib, old son.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Mechanurgist wrote:I own a DS.....PS: like the cut of your jib, old son.
Edit: Only real problem I see at the moment is that the screen size is awful small, combined with a potentially small resolution, might make for a gaming experience that leaves people wanting.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

It may seem small compared to a PSP, but you've got two screens, which is actually a lot of real estate. You could have the inventory/PIPboy/talking heads up top and the main screen on the bottom. Plus, stylus-controlled movement and critical shots would be wicked: imagine poking a supermutant in the groin with the stylus for that perfect shot!

EDIT: Oh, and you probably want to talk to these guys (Fallout 0), popscythe.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Right, but if one screen is entirely taken up by your inventory, that only leaves one screen left for the entire GUI AND the main screen meaning that putting your stylus exactly over the little things you need to pick up might be hard, it's like condensing everything on your PC moniter to the size of half a notecard.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

The GUI would be on the top screen. You're right that it would be hard to pick up things like ammo and hypos. That's why the Nihonese have perfected the craft of miniatiurizing everything from people's bodies to cartridge shells. Chibi Fallout!
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

The DS would be perfect for dialog in Fallout with the choices on the touchscreen and the head or the picture on the other. With the RAM problem I think it might not be as big as you think because the PC version is 16 megs for 640X480 but the DS is only like half that size of resolution. Putting Fallout on DS would make the most sense gameplay wise but I think it would be a bit too over the head of most people willing to port it and make it fit well with the DS. You would have to move shit around to fit the screen and stuff...I just think it would be a bit hard for the noobs who are willing to do it. Even though I don't have a PSP that system might be the easier of them from the tech side but could suffer a bit from the gameplay.

Either way Fallout wouldn't be the same type of port as quake or doom as those didn't really have shit you had to deal with because of the interface and there has already been a million ports of doom all over the place to leech off of.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

All your responses will be remembered when I will finally become a mod(Read: You're all banned, traitorous dogs).
Serious Business.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Bring da fucking Counterstrike Source on the DS, i would totally bang my stylus through the DS to get the headshot leet multikills. And then you play it with guys sitting next to ya, while you knife`em and they go barbarian berserk mode with their butterfly in real life.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

Yeah. Mech and the SCOOPER, that's pretty much what I was thinking too. I got all jacked up thinking about how potentially cool Fallout could be on the DS because of those interface deals, the dialog display fits right in (It's dual screened in fallout already, ffs) and most of the interface is "click here" buttons that work good for stylus.

As for the rehash issue, yeah. I was thinking about that too. Since my abilities as a programmer are limited to this wicked game KILLA ONLINE: THE RESTITUTION that I thought up completely by myself, I don't think that an original homebrew new fallout is within my league, but keeping all in mind, I think that making Fallout DS from scratch as a game a close to the original as possible, but with a completely revamped (read: hit select to cycle through them probably, with certain screens being top and bottom info screens, like the character screen and such) way to get at your various inventory and info screens would be the best possible way to bring fallout or even a fallouty game to the DS... which is truly both the mad selling console now, the mad selling rehash games console, and just drips fuckin turn based combat and all that "play for hours" shit that doom and quake on a gameboy fall pretty far short of.

Shit, I guess one of the problems I'm having is that unlike the motherfucking team morrowind assholes, I don't feel like I have a right to write fallout plotline, let alone code that shit. Maybe I should just do what beth should have done and learn to code, then roll out some "Radioactive, turn-based-combat-havin-super-violent-heal-by-injectin'-shit:the role playing game" and then if it sucks I haven't pissed on the ashes of something I was way into.

Also, I'm grubbing on FO:0. This is the kinda shit I'm into man. It's just wicked fun to bring yer 10mm around with you on the bus and shit, you know?
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

the great thing about the DS is that top down and turn based are still very viable + there's a huge number of those little shitty things percolating around the market. You must drop this idea in Ashley Cheng's skull when he gets back from his trip to the Greek Isles. (If you didn't know, going Greek means getting a cock in the ass. Ask Subby.)
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

Killzig wrote:the great thing about the DS is that top down and turn based are still very viable + there's a huge number of those little shitty things percolating around the market.
Exactly. So what's Grecian 5? Just a bottle of cocks?
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

flamboyant hand gesture wrote:kettle of cocks?
Unbroken. :drunk:
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

Blargh wrote:flamboyant hand gesture
For your information, that's George W. Bush's hand at his "I'm the president again" party in 2004. He was saluting some illumanati with his wife and daughter.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Riiiight...
Our Host!