How not to fuck up "Fast Travel"

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Aonaran wrote:
Wolfman Walt wrote:I'm pretty sure one of the interviews mentioned using the DC Subway system for fast travel.
I talked to one of the journalists that saw the demo and he said you entered the subway, fought some enemies and then the demo just skipped ahead to them outside the next subway station. According to him whether or not the Subway is a fast travel or a more direct route / dungeon is still unclear.
Damn.

D.C. has an extensive underground network.

Maintenance tunnels, subway system, underground parking, etc.

It would be interesting to explore it. Especially a dilapidated Jetson's version.

Hopefully not too dungeony, though.

D.C. Underground tunnels and stuff
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

It could actually make sense too, since I at least hope they aren't going to have caves, mines, ancestral tombs etc. in Fallout 3. Also they could seperate them with cave ins so that each metro entrace is it's own "dungeon". But yeah, despite the lack of better phrasing I also hope it isn't too dungeon-y.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Aonaran wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:Like in FO1-2? Sure, why not. Let's just wait for the retarded acronym for "world map" now.
Vault-tec assisted travel system? Oh wait, fuck.
Fuck indeed.
mastermind wrote:Supreme
Hi-powered
Inter-dimensional
Transportation.
Hey, that's a good one! Correction, was. They didn't listened to us again.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

Aonaran wrote:It could actually make sense too, since I at least hope they aren't going to have caves, mines, ancestral tombs etc. in Fallout 3. Also they could seperate them with cave ins so that each metro entrace is it's own "dungeon". But yeah, despite the lack of better phrasing I also hope it isn't too dungeon-y.
Doom 3 with rusty power armour. All of Washington is going to be one big dungeon with scripted events, from the sounds of it. Don't expect waste-wandering like in the originals.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

Mechanurgist wrote:Doom 3 with rusty power armour. All of Washington is going to be one big dungeon with scripted events, from the sounds of it. Don't expect waste-wandering like in the originals.
Yep. The acronym for "taking a giant sandbox and carefully obstructing everything to make it linear as fuck so that.. ahem poor kids with xbawks can figure out what the fuck they are supposed to be doing inbetween hits off the fucking grape soda"? Bethesda.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

They mentioned that the world was smaller then Oblivion, which was much smaller then Morrowind.....wonder how much smaller it is.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Wolfman Walt wrote:They mentioned that the world was smaller then Oblivion, which was much smaller then Morrowind.....wonder how much smaller it is.
You'll be amazed how much crap they can fit in such a small game world. :chick:
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

The thing, where the shit piles is, that you only have this one location, Washington. Fallout 1/2 was famous for different locations with different prostitute and slave laws and shit. And then they kinda mix all things in this one location, mutants, BoS and all that other zombies.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

DaC-Sniper wrote:The thing, where the shit piles is, that you only have this one location, Washington. Fallout 1/2 was famous for different locations with different prostitute and slave laws and shit. And then they kinda mix all things in this one location, mutants, BoS and all that other zombies.
Can you say "stalker"?
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Cthulhu wrote:Like in FO1-2? Sure, why not. Let's just wait for the retarded acronym for "world map" now.
MOTION ACTIVATED POSITIONING SYSTEM. MAPS.

I hope we have a nice 2-d map with dotted line and iron cross that'll double as a loading screen but I doubt we'll get it. I didn't notice any random encounters in Oblivion during fast travel (I'm pretty sure there weren't any)...

I always reloaded my save game if I ever came down with the vampirism thing (fucking stupid condition) so I was never bothered by the landing in day time thing. One thing that did piss me off was that my horse would follow me even when I was trying to get rid of the thing. And no, I couldn't kill it, it was unkillable. My horse was unkillable. WTF.

but yeah, horse riding was that bad. The controls, the physics of it, everything about horse riding was terrible. they should have cut the feature completely once mounted combat was out. Not that I'd want to see mounted combat in Oblivion, it probably would have handled horribly.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

Killzig wrote:
MOTION ACTIVATED POSITIONING SYSTEM. MAPS.

I hope we have a nice 2-d map with dotted line and iron cross that'll double as a loading screen but I doubt we'll get it. I didn't notice any random encounters in Oblivion during fast travel (I'm pretty sure there weren't any)...

I always reloaded my save game if I ever came down with the vampirism thing (fucking stupid condition) so I was never bothered by the landing in day time thing. One thing that did piss me off was that my horse would follow me even when I was trying to get rid of the thing. And no, I couldn't kill it, it was unkillable. My horse was unkillable. WTF.

but yeah, horse riding was that bad. The controls, the physics of it, everything about horse riding was terrible. they should have cut the feature completely once mounted combat was out. Not that I'd want to see mounted combat in Oblivion, it probably would have handled horribly.
Dude. Don't talk about how Oblivion sucks. It's like bemoaning the fact that fire hurts to touch.

Law of nature, etc
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Aonaran wrote:It could actually make sense too, since I at least hope they aren't going to have caves, mines, ancestral tombs etc. in Fallout 3. Also they could seperate them with cave ins so that each metro entrace is it's own "dungeon". But yeah, despite the lack of better phrasing I also hope it isn't too dungeon-y.
Recently Metro Tunnels were confirmed as dungeons. (Credit to Brother None)
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

DaC-Sniper wrote:If you want to fast travel, use da super MadMax Engine car with da big engine, but OH NOES; there aren`t any cars in Fallout 3.

Assholes. Reminds me on Stalker.
there are cars - you just can't use them. You can only blow them up for minor nuclear explosions, after which you must jump into a payphone booth and deposit 25cents. Why? No real reason - it's just Bethesda.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

Doin' some postan, are you catman92?

Well done.
Mr.MaskedDude
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mr.MaskedDude »

oddly my first post here is in some degree in defense of what is likely to be a godless abomination. The underground tunnels could actually be pretty awesome. Risky shortcuts with perhaps some technophobes or somesuch living in the tunnel to avoid the next nuclear holocaust which is no doubt coming.

alas.....hope springs eternal. i do so want this game to be grand that i still hope for great things, even though every indicator points to Oblivion with guns, even several previews saying it is an accurate description, usually mentioning it is accurate in "all the best ways" which causes one to ponder what ways are the best.

I remember i had high hopes for Oblivion, before all the horse armor, and magical unkillable characters, and black and white story, and static but "free" world, and DemonSkin wearing common bandits, and.....oh shit, i've ruined my hope....drat.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Mr.MaskedDude wrote:oddly my first post here is in some degree in defense of what is likely to be a godless abomination. The underground tunnels could actually be pretty awesome. Risky shortcuts with perhaps some technophobes or somesuch living in the tunnel to avoid the next nuclear holocaust which is no doubt coming.

alas.....hope springs eternal. i do so want this game to be grand that i still hope for great things, even though every indicator points to Oblivion with guns, even several previews saying it is an accurate description, usually mentioning it is accurate in "all the best ways" which causes one to ponder what ways are the best.

I remember i had high hopes for Oblivion, before all the horse armor, and magical unkillable characters, and black and white story, and static but "free" world, and DemonSkin wearing common bandits, and.....oh shit, i've ruined my hope....drat.
It's gonna suck anus.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Re: How not to fuck up "Fast Travel"

Post by Aonaran »

Aonaran wrote:Yeah, so in at least one of those previews it was confirmed that there will be a fast travel system in Fallout 3 but that they haven't yet figured out how they would implement it. Here is my suggestion on how not to fuck it up.

Instead of having an absurd instant teleportation system like in Oblivion, they should have the screen display the old school "Vault-Tec Maps" travel screen, complete with iron cross marker and Indiana Jones dotted line showing your movement from point A to point B. Also I think a system of random encounters should be implemented to prevent overuse, although with a decressed frequency of violent encounters so that it is still a better option than traditional travel.

Assuming they implement a Morrowind style fast travel system, they could use Caravans (suggested by Blinzler on the official forums) very much in the way they used Silt Strider platforms.

Personally I think in the absolute least they should use the Vault-Tec map as the loading screen showing the line crossing from your current location to your travel destination as a "load bar".

Discuss.
It's Oblivion fast travel with loading screens featuring concept art. Nothing has changed except you have to physically venture out into the world in search of a town before you can fast travel back to it. They fucked up fast travel. Gayness in the anus.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Fuck it dude, when this game hits the shelves i will be buying a proper post apoc game, Clear sky, since S.T.A.L.K.E.R. rapes bethesda's mom (Zenimax media).

STALKER fulfills all my falloutish needs with a good dollop of awesome fpsing on top.

At least in stalker they don't pretend that your character is leveling up.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Fucking stop posting while you're at it.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

There's so much hype going around about Clear Sky that I wouldn't honestly be surprised if they postponed it's release every two months and the final version wouldn't have half the promised features. Meh.
Our Host!