new rig

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

new rig

Post by Urizen »

i'll be getting my tax owings in a month or so, and i'm thinking about spending it on a new rig. i've never had any hardware skillz to talk about, and it's been a while since i thought about hardware at all, so i need your help. i'll be getting about 19000 NOK, which is about 3000 USD, and i'm going to spend all of it or allmost all of it on a gaming rig. my top priority is sound, and i've always loved everything that's come out of creative, but that's about as far as i've thought. so what should i get, what should i keep in mind, what should i beware of?
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

You need something that'll haul a lot of cargo, do you have your trucker's permit?
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Wow. 3g's in tax returns? What the hell do you do, have fourteen kids and donate your entire check to charity?

At any rate go with a Core 2 Duo and DX10. Core 2 Duos are the best bang for your buck at this point.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

it's not so much in NOK, it's just that the dollar isn't worth squat right now. also, i suck at saving money, so i just pay more tax than i have to, since i know i'll get it back later. no kids, no charity :)
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

You don't really need to spend 3000 bucks on a rig, unless you want to include like super surround sound speakers and a big screen.

The only thing you have to worry about now is buying a new DX10 card and finding out that its not that great at running the new DX10 games that come out later this year( i think?). Also if you buy a core duo you may later find out the Core QUAD is what everyone is using and you will shed a single tear. Seriously getting a new computer is a lot of bullshit and it's probably just easier to buy everything at random.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

I'm waiting until second-gen DX10 cards come out before I invest in a new rig. I would suggest doing the same.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
NATIK
Respected
Respected

Post by NATIK »

I just bought a new comp myself, I got what I wanted with a good sound system (creative X-FI) for 13.985,25 DKK or around 15400 NOK.

2GB RAM
X-FI soundcard
2,67 Ghz Core 2 Duo (6700, dont remember the letter in front of that)
320GB HDD
Dual Layer DVD writer
8800GTX

and then the usual (no monitors or any other extras though).

I think this is a pretty good value for money machine and it works perfectly at everything I have tried so far.

In regards to Jetbabys comment on price, you really need to use atleast $2000 to get a proper comp in Denmark, I expect Norway has approximatly the same prices.
Last edited by NATIK on Fri May 18, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

I'll probably never get a new top of the line rig again in my life. New horizens are showing itself and I am on the verge of retiring from geekism.

Pooper is right though, you don't need all the stupid itty bitty gadgets. As long as you have a DX10 card, a Core 2 Duo, and at 2 GB DDR 2 ram, you will be all set.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Apparently Microsoft is done with 32 bit OSes after Vista too, so if you wanna really make it last, spring for 64?
NATIK
Respected
Respected

Post by NATIK »

Unless microsoft becomes superfast at making a new and shiny OS I doubt 32 bit is going to be a problem.

Arent the Core 2 Duos 64bit anyways? I believe they are, you shouldnt buy anything but those atm anyways, unless you are a AMD fanboy ofc :drunk:.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

NATIK wrote:I just bought a new comp myself, I got what I wanted with a good sound system (creative X-FI) for 13.985,25 DKK or around 15400 NOK.

2GB RAM
X-FI soundcard
2,67 Ghz Core 2 Duo (6700, dont remember the letter in front of that)
320GB HDD
Dual Layer DVD writer
8800GTX

and then the usual (no monitors or any other extras though).

I think this is a pretty good value for money machine and it works perfectly at everything I have tried so far.

In regards to Jetbabys comment on price, you really need to use atleast $2000 to get a proper comp in Denmark, I expect Norway has approximatly the same prices.
that config looks very nice, and it may come very close to what i'm gonna buy. i don't care about hard-drive space in the least, and i'll never be able to fill up a 320GB disk.
i keep hearing good things about the 8800GTX, and crappy things about the 8800 Ultra, so i'll probably go with the first of the two, but i may buy two of them :)
i'll prolly need 3GB of ram, because i'll have to upgrade to vista in a year or two anyway.
cpu speeds just make me confused. i have no idea what to look at to compare speeds anymore. the last time i bought a pc, all you cared about was the Mhz, but that seems to have changed completely.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

don't know about the other shit, but sound card-wise i'd recommend an m-audio revolution 5/6/7.1, should run you about $100 or so. creatives (at least the soundblaster! series) are a bit rubbish by comparison.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

i've always loved creative, though. the speakers, the soundcards, the mp3-players, they're always great value for money. but i'll take a look at your m-audio too, before i make up my mind.
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

Urizen wrote: i don't care about hard-drive space in the least, and i'll never be able to fill up a 320GB disk.
Hard disk space follows the "If you build it, they will come." line of operation.

I never thought that I could fill 750 gig either. Nowadays, I find myself deleting 50 meg files to squirrel away what space I can.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

creative's stuff is still quite good. i've heard that their x-fi series is a bitchin' gaming soundcard, you might try that.

and yes, i agree with splatterpope about the hd space issue, though at the same time i'd say anything over 200 gb or so is overrated, you're only going to use the space over that for storage of things that have no practical value. so external drives are probably a better solution, just get them as you need them (unless 500gb harddrives are suddenly cheap now).
Last edited by atoga on Sat May 19, 2007 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

yes, i' ve heard a lot of people say that. but i've got 80GB now, and i'm sure i could manage with half of that. i watch something, delete it, play something, delete it. i don't like having a lot of stuff to clutter up my hd.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

are you putting one together yourself or having one customized?
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

prolly having one customised, but i've got a month to think about it before the money comes in, so i may change my mind.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

jetbaby wrote:At any rate go with a Core 2 Duo and DX10. Core 2 Duos are the best bang for your buck at this point.
I've heard a few times (@DAC) that Core2Duo is essential, and it sounded rather reasonable. However I did some reading a while back and it seems overrated, take a look:
("jakość" means 'quality', "średnie" means 'average', and the image comes from this article where you'll also find 3Dmark'06 results)

and now compare the prices. I might not have the whole picture, but for me Pentium D looks much better in a power-for-money comparison. Am I missing something?

Then again Core2D looks easier to cool than Pentium D (red stripe is temp after tests) -
but in this respect AMDs are even better, esp the '64nm' or '65W Energy Efficient' models.

Altogether, it looks like once you got a decent processor, it's not SO much important which particular type you got; graph. cards seem to play a much greater role in today's 3D gaming efficiency. And for tasks other than gaming, any modern processor will be more than enough - needless to say D:
So maybe just go with something not producing too much heat, so that your cooling system doesn't produce too much noise?

CPUs aside, get the best possible motherboard for your processor. I recommend Gigabyte and Asus (do a research on particular models once you decide about the CPU) and maybe try to get one with fanless cooling (less noise again).
Also, get a really reliable Power Supply - like Topower or something; preferably with a big 12cm fan to quietly suck out the warm air from inside the case (this way you may even avoid having extra case-cooling fans)
Oh and make sure that both the HDD and MB support the same version of SATA. If you want the HD to work a bit faster, also make sure that it supports NCQ, and that the MB also supports it. (or maybe all of them do now?)
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

PiP wrote:CPUs aside, get the best possible motherboard for your processor. I recommend Gigabyte and Asus...
I'd say go with Gigabyte. Their build quality is the best on the market, hands down.
Our Host!