The FOOL thread

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.

your opinion on a hypothetical Fallout Online

a well-made FOnline is possible and it'd be a good thing fren'
29%
any FOnline would be bad
18%
lol?
53%

Total votes: 17

PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

The FOOL thread

Post by PiP »

This is the FOOL thread.
Some opinions are scattered here and there throughout the boards, but I think we could use one place for discussing all aspects of FOOL (of any kind).

Why would you like a FOnline to happen? What should it be like?
Or, why do you think any FOnline would be a bad thing?

What is a MMO to the Fallout series?

Why do you think Interplay's/Bethesda's FOOL would be good/bad?

Discuss! :dance:

I didn't really know where to put this thread but I felt it belongs in the 'Fallout' section and I didn't feel like putting it in the 'Tactics' subsection. If the mod strongly feels it should be moved somewhere, go ahead.
NATIK
Respected
Respected

Post by NATIK »

Both (beth and interplay FOOLs) would suck but only because of the people that would be making them.

I could see a MMOPRG made in the fallout universe being good but MMOs are so rarely good that it is useless hoping for it.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I don't want a Fallout Online to ever be made. It is impossible to do it well.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
PiP

Post by PiP »

Dogmeatlives wrote:I don't want a Fallout Online to ever be made. It is impossible to do it well.
expand on it.

btw, I'm waiting for guys like 'Zig, Dan Wood, 4too, or MMRW to give their opinions, so I dare you to have at the topic guys.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

The thread is a fucking heresy.

And if you want me to expand :

Last edited by S4ur0n27 on Thu May 17, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PiP

Post by PiP »

thanks for contrubuting Susan.
you were logged with the wrong account tho?
LoneGunman
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by LoneGunman »

Is that a muffler in her right hand?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: The FOOL thread

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Why would you like a FOnline to happen?
I wouldn't really. I don't think that Fallout can readily be played in a MMO environment without some sort of major system that causes everyone in an area to suddenly go into turnbase whenever there's a fight. Also, stuff like SPECIAL seems like it'd be harder to impliment. THE ONLY reason I might like to see a FOOL is simply to play with a friend or two, but there's no reason that couldn't be in a normal version of the game with a GOOD turn based system and SPECIAL in full effect.

What should it be like?
Fun? I don't know because I HONESTLY can't imagine a Massively Multiplayer Fallout working well or really at all without sacrificing major things in Fallout that made it Fallout in the first place.

Or, why do you think any FOnline would be a bad thing?
See #1

What is a MMO to the Fallout series?
An MMO to Fallout is like an endless supply of bland saltine crackers to the most sumptuous meal you have ever, or will ever eat.

Why do you think Interplay's/Bethesda's FOOL would be good/bad?
The problem with an Interplay FOOL is that they only have a skeleton crew of nobodies who only want money. While people who only want money CAN accomplish nice things, the last time Herve only wanted money, we ended up with 2 products so abdysmal that my local Hastings can't get rid of copies of it by PAYING ME to take them. The project, which to my knowledge is still being developed by Interplay, would just be an underfunded, badly programmed attempt to get investors to put money back into Interplay by using one of the last recognizable licenses that Interplay still, kinda sorta owns.

Why don't I think Beth should make a FOOL? Cause look at Oblivion. For all intents and purposes, that's a MMO made offline. Make it online and it goes from horrible to abhorrant.
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

PiP wrote:What is a MMO to the Fallout series?
Walt asked me my opinion and I gave it to him...then he used it in his post. :(

So, allow me to elaborate. At first glance, Fallout and an MMO have something in common: both are buffets. However, with an MMO you can sit down with your friends, talk it up, have a good ol' time. The problem is that when you're out with your friends you all end up eating stale crackers covered in mustard. It's not appetizing, but you're with your friends so it's cool. Except you can't always eat with your friends. In fact 80% of the time you're at this restaurant you're eating by yourself or with the most anti-social retards you've ever met.

Now, Fallout is a restaurant too. You eat by yourself, and they only have five dishes. But they are the five greatest dishes you've ever had. Jesus Christ himself would weep at this dinner table.

That's the difference.
HEY WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT???
PiP

Post by PiP »

hah Gaijin, interesting way of getting robbed. Thanks for your thoughts guys. Other than making a useful thread for the community, I'm trying to develop my own opinion on the subject.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

No, a FOOL would have all the pretty candy shell and trappings of Fallout, but it wouldn't have the words, the story or the atmosphere. Every online game I've played has been a mosh pit inhabited by mouth-breathing retards.

"Hell is other people."

Single player all the way to the plains of Geddon.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

Mechanurgist wrote:No, a FOOL would have all the pretty candy shell and trappings of Fallout, but it wouldn't have the words, the story or the atmosphere. Every online game I've played has been a mosh pit inhabited by mouth-breathing retards.

"Hell is other people."

Single player all the way to the plains of Geddon.
I wholeheartedly believe that co-op gameplay, provided it's not mandatory and your friends aren't idiots, is always a plus to any game no matter what. Think about how much cooler Fallout would've been if, rather than Ian shooting you every 12 seconds your buddy was playing in his stead.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

The Gaijin wrote: Think about how much cooler Fallout would've been if, rather than Ian shooting you every 12 seconds your buddy was playing in his stead.
:thinking: He'd still shoot you in the back, but he'd be better and sneakier at it.
NATIK
Respected
Respected

Post by NATIK »

Mechanurgist wrote:
The Gaijin wrote: Think about how much cooler Fallout would've been if, rather than Ian shooting you every 12 seconds your buddy was playing in his stead.
:thinking: He'd still shoot you in the back, but he'd be better and sneakier at it.
I agree but then again as I have mentioned before I constantly try and kill any and all friendlies in games, have fallout playthroughs where everything is dead, killed by my own cold dead hands, just because I couldnt stand speaking to them and it applies to friendlies in multiplayer games aswell :dance:.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

NATIK wrote:I agree but then again as I have mentioned before I constantly try and kill any and all friendlies in games, have fallout playthroughs where everything is dead, killed by my own cold dead hands, just because I couldnt stand speaking to them and it applies to friendlies in multiplayer games aswell :dance:.
I rest my case. Single player it is.
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

So I guess the morale here is you people have horrible friends/are so anti-social that the concept of having a friend is complete and total anithemia. :(
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

There's no way that an MMO Fallout could rival the single player experience we've had.

I think if someone were to make a new Fallout game even half as good as 1 or 2, with a good co-op/simultaneous play system it might even be enjoyable.

I think it'd actually be pretty good to say, play through one of the fallouts with a few friends. It'd be even better if you didn't have to be doing the same thing. Like, if one person is in New Reno, and the other is in Shady Sands or something.

An MMO trying to be Fallout wouldn't be any good for many reasons, one of them being that everyone would be doing the same quests, and you'd lose that sense of individuality. Takes a lot of the magic and enjoyment out of doing something for an NPC.
LoneGunman
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by LoneGunman »

Well wouldnt it be fun to be the crimelord that produces and distributes drugs across the wateland! Bribing PC's that takes on a law-enforcing role, be the one that puts prices on peoples heads. Standoffs with other crimelords.

I would like to have FOOL if it provided me those options
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

DaC-Sniper wrote:I`m no fool.

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel Online
I just read up on that.. And watched the trailers..

D:
Our Host!