Fallout 3 = the "Black" album?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Fallout 3 = the "Black" album?

Post by spokomptonjdub »

So I'm bored, lurking these boards, and I was thinking of what Fallout 3 could turn out to be. The general consensus among the diehards is that this game is going to trash the franchise, but probably sell better than either of the previous installments, and probably even get better reviews by the gaming "press."

If this is what happens, and I believe it will, it reminds me of what happens in the music industry quite often, and I'll use Metallica as an example.

Metallica was once scary, dark, hardcore, and at the same time exhibited a type of genius. They had a fairly large, but still underground, fanbase that was loyal and dedicated to the point of almost being rabid, a kind of cult in a way. Metallica was still out of the mainstream, but that's the way their fans wanted it, it was THEIR music, and to hell with all the people who couldn't understand it or were scared of it.

Then something happened. Word spread of the band working on a new, huge album, forking out tons of cash to create it. Bob Rock was producing it, which caused some trepidation among the fanbase, because his previous work included producing bands such as Bon Jovi and Motley Crue. The "Black" album was finally released, becoming the most successful album by the band to date, and the best reviewed. A commercial and critical success it was, but it alienated much of their original fanbase with it's mainstreamed sound and pop-length songs. Suddenly, THEIR band, the music they could almost claim to own, was dead and replaced by auto-tuned radio friendly bullcrap. Your little sister used to be scared of Metallica, but now she asked to borrow the new album so her and her friends could listen to it.

I don't know about anybody else, but I can already see some parallels with this situation and what's happening with the fallout franchise. I only hope that the videogame industry can someday have a thriving "indie" community that turns out cutting-edge, great games as an alternative to the same ol', same ol' of the gaming mainstream. Such communities prosper in both the music and movie industry, but recently they are almost non-existent in the video game market, despite gaming's "indie" roots (particularly PC gaming).

Anyway, my two cents.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

Your analogy is interesting but completely lost on me since I don't listen to Metallica. Also, analogies are a poor man's argument.

Yeah, Fallout was a cult hit, and now it's being turned into a Madonna-esque global McDonald's franchise (gah! analogies again!).
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Fallout 3 is kinda like the chicken that just layed too many eggs...

or the piece of gum you've been chewin' a little too long..

or a woman with pointy-cone breasts..

all of those things are Fallout 3 and more.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

Dogmeatlives wrote:Fallout 3 is kinda like the chicken that just layed too many eggs...
Shrivelled?
Dogmeatlives wrote:or the piece of gum you've been chewin' a little too long..
Flavourless?
Dogmeatlives wrote:or a woman with pointy-cone breasts..
Sexy but painful?

You are :drunk:
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

The first two are correct, the last one is a bit off. I would have chosen- not quite bouncy enough.

You obviously see where I'm going with this though..
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Is that you Jared? For the last time, no one wants to hear about Metallica.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

I call bullshit.

Since when are people scared of music, or of games? Hell, I listen to metal (i.e. Death and Black) and I can tell that as far as any of my friends that have heard are certainly not scared of it (non-metalheads).

Additionally, I started playing Fallout when I was like 13-14 (started listening to metal even earlier). I wouldn't say that there was any part of the content that was scary or too mature in any aspect.

People overestimate the "shock-effect" of Fallout content.
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:I call bullshit.

Since when are people scared of music, or of games? Hell, I listen to metal (i.e. Death and Black) and I can tell that as far as any of my friends that have heard are certainly not scared of it (non-metalheads).

Additionally, I started playing Fallout when I was like 13-14 (started listening to metal even earlier). I wouldn't say that there was any part of the content that was scary or too mature in any aspect.

People overestimate the "shock-effect" of Fallout content.
Whether or not it's scary isn't the point, and I use "scary" as a relative term.

You or I may not get "scared" when listening to metal or playing violent games, but you can bet your ass that a lot more uptight people, or those that have never been exposed to such mediums can get a little freaked out when they first see (or hear) it.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Yes, but there is also another reason to Metallicas success....they started making BETTER music.

I was somewhat optimistic with Bethesda in the beginning...or well not perhaps in the beginning, but somewhere in the middle. Now...well I haven't seen anything that would give me hopes. This can change of course...
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

You sure about that? Master of Puppets is often considered Metallica's best album and it came before Blac - wait I see what you did there. No, I refuse to talk about Metallica.
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

Wolfman Walt wrote:You sure about that? Master of Puppets is often considered Metallica's best album and it came before Blac - wait I see what you did there. No, I refuse to talk about Metallica.
Heh, well, I only used Metallica as an example because of their popularity. Many other bands have followed a similar path, Weezer, Death Cab for Cutie, Korn, among many others.

To reach back even further, maybe Fallouts 1/2 = Skinny Elvis, and Beth's Fallouts = Fat Elvis? I dunno...
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

frissy wrote:Yes, but there is also another reason to Metallicas success....they started making BETTER music.

I was somewhat optimistic with Bethesda in the beginning...or well not perhaps in the beginning, but somewhere in the middle. Now...well I haven't seen anything that would give me hopes. This can change of course...
Yet most of their original fans do not believe the new music was better at all. And I feel the same thing coming for Fallout. It will sell like crazy, and there will be more people who will most likely be either new fans, Oblivion fans, or more "casual" fans that will say it's a vast improvement over the others for any number of reasons. But the old community will still pine for the better days.

I of course could be wrong, and I won't pass full judgment until the game is released, but all signs look bleak right now.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

The analogy is flawed because unlike Metaliica, completely different people are making Fallout 3.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

It would be better to compare it with Apocalyptica. Different people, "same" music.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Ausir wrote:The analogy is flawed because unlike Metaliica, completely different people are making Fallout 3.
Also the gaming market has commercialized rapidly in the 2000's, much later than the music industry. Games are being developed based on the market's needs, unlike 10-15 years ago when developers had much more artistic independence. Publishers require a broader potential market in order to maximize sales.
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

Ausir wrote:The analogy is flawed because unlike Metaliica, completely different people are making Fallout 3.
Not necessarily, in my analogy Metallica=Fallout franchise, and Bob Rock=Bethesda.

Same name, different production.

Obviously, analogies are rarely perfect, but I still believe it is apt.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Here's an analogy, Fallout 3 is gonna suck as hard as Metallica!

Analogyman strikes again!
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Many other bands have followed a similar path, Weezer, Death Cab for Cutie, Korn, among many others.
Korn? Oh please they screwed them selfs over with every new album they made. Sure i buy everything they release, but last 3 albums basicly sucked ass.
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

Haris wrote:Sure i buy everything they release, but last 3 albums basicly sucked ass.

Bethedsda target audiance people!
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

You can take the nigga out of the hood, but you cant take the hood out of the nigga.

Bethesda can.

-Quote Teaser 2007`
Our Host!