Why Bethesda needs Fallout like Vault 13 needs a waterchip

This is where comment threads get posted by the Almighty Article Script.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Why Bethesda needs Fallout like Vault 13 needs a waterchip

Post by Mr. Teatime »

<strong>[ Game -> Editorial ]</strong>

A look at why Bethesda needs <em>Fallout 3</em> to be a sucess with the fans for them to maintain their commericial and critical success as a company.
<br/><br/><strong>Read: </strong><a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/content.php?id=88">Why Bethesda needs Fallout like Vault 13 needs a waterchip</a>
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

Cut down on the rotgut references, be more willing to edit for comfortable reading, other than that a well written article with some good thoughts behind it.

Though hardly genious or poetic, one line stands out..

"Oblivion is mainstream. Fallout is cult."

Nice work Teatime.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I liked it alot. Good stuff. Don't lose the rotgut references.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
sybran
SDF!
SDF!

Post by sybran »

The creation of a video game always involves an artistic effort, just like any man-made product of public or personal interest.
Fallout may be Cult, and Oblivion may be Mainstream, but what makes Fallout realy distinct is its high level of originality and artistic value.
I wish to propone that the level of artistic intrest that was reached with the fallout game realy SHINES trough the history of video games...to me Fallout is the original example of a truely interesting videogame experience.
Fallout has so many levels of interest, it appealled to the general development in videogames of its own time and most interestingly, it appealed to imagination in a grown up way.
Fallout had something realistic about it, not because it looked as good as games look today, but because its general efforts as a game aimed for somthing realy great, it realy wanted to be A WORLD, a PIECE OF ART for its own time -the videogame era- Like Don Quichotte (as a work of art) announced the era of the novel.
Playing Fallout was like going through a modern variation of the classical
theme of doing a quest...for king, for love and for truth. Fallout is realy driven by a challenge and true curiousity.
To me RPG is the most complete realisation of videogames... and the only real RPG is of course Fallout...
Videogames development should realy make use of the standards Fallout has set out!
VIDEOGAME DEVELOPMENT HAS ITS RULES JUST LIKE THE MAKING OF A MOVIE HAS ITS RULES, YOU DONT FOLLOW THEM, BIG CHANCE OF AWFUL RESULT.

:anger:

For Fallout 3 i want Lots of Good voice acting (no silent and borring scrolls for me), a good set of distict characters like any real rpg should have, not to much generic stuff, intellegent game, Fallout humor, a haunted, dark and radiation driven storyline,...
Fallout 3 should be the product of simplicity, a result of balancing the keyelements of RPG videogames, IT SHOULD BE APPEALING to some serious amount of imagination

:drunk:

Bethesta shouldnt just care for the fans of Fallout for fans sake or the sake of bussiness. they should personaly feel reponsible for achieving a standard like fallout did...
Fallout 3 could be an homage to its precedors, and it could be an act of inspiration...making fallout 3 also could be matter of finding a good balance between personal ambition and the will to lift the videogamefranchise once more into meaningfull regions...
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

sehr gut, Ja!

:salute:
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

sybran wrote:Bethesta shouldnt just care for the fans of Fallout for fans sake or the sake of bussiness. they should personaly feel reponsible for achieving a standard like fallout did...
Fallout 3 could be an homage to its precedors, and it could be an act of inspiration...making fallout 3 also could be matter of finding a good balance between personal ambition and the will to lift the videogamefranchise once more into meaningfull regions...
That pretty much sums up what I'm thinking as well. Making a game according to what the fans(a very broad definition) want or what the market insists isn't going to be a successful path unless the developer has a clear vision of where they want to go with the franchise. Bethesda, as an independent developer, has the possibility to do this and I for one would be very disappointed if they take the easy way out or "do what we do best" as what seems to be the design philosophy at Bethesda. If they need inspiration, they can always look back to the originals and learn from the mistakes they made in Oblivion in addition to make a game that stands out. Not an easy task, if you ask me, but I'm not willing to condemn them. Yet.:)
Dan_Wood
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Dan_Wood »

You forgot to include 'DEVELOPERS OWE YOU NOTHING!' as a shining example of fandom relations! :bang:

A bit too G4 for my tastes, but on the whole hits the marks and notes.
Dan Wood

Nothing like a slow-moving localized apocalypse to really make you think about proper data backup procedures.
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

kinda lame but every little bit helps, heh? Well? Doesn't it?
Our Host!