FRM info?

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

FRM info?

Post by Red »

Well, I guess this is addressed to ABel mostly, in hopes he can contact however worked on the FRM format... And maybe Dims, but I don't think he's got it all figured out :P, but anyone with information regarding the FRM format would be appreciated.

I took the info from TeamX's old site, and this was interesting, but a lot of it was wrong, though the basics to get the first frame rendered is right once you figure out that the first header doesn't work as described. I looked at the available source of GRV and tha gave me more hints which is where is mysteriously skipped 52 bytes - the "missing header information". This is what I'm looking information for.

I've already figured out the first 12 integers, and the last long, so I'm missing (probably) 12 more integers. I can already render every sprite appropriatly, but the goal would be to fill the extra integers with appropriate data...

You can see my work/research in the FO:T forum with the latest release of Red!Viewer. Note that 1.5.0.15 is currently offline as I overwrote it with .16, but found a bug in it before anyone donwloaded it so I took the link down. I'll fix that up in a short while...

Obviously you won't get this last statement unless you looked at the format yourself and actually tried to impliment it (or if there's some proper documentation somewhere).
Anchorite
SDF!
SDF!

FRM format

Post by Anchorite »

Sorry my bad english, but my native language is Russian.

I found good info about FRM on http://members.fortunecity.com/noid84/,
but document about it is incomplite (some unknown fields).
I know info about this unknown fields.
If it interesting - mail to me. (anchorite2001@yandex.ru)
Red

Post by Red »

Neat, albeit disapointing, as this is all the info I found myself (based on my own work after looking at the GRV source and TeamX (english) frm format... What I wanted now are exactly those unknown values :P I'm guessing no one knows them though.

Well, seeing this doc at least makes me avoid writing my own doc :)

Thanks
Anchorite
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Anchorite »

I know what means those unknown values

WORD at 0x0004 and 0x0006 - Unused. Fallour 2 read this values, but don't use them.

DWORD from 0x0022 to 0x0036 - offset of first frame for direction 0-5 from begining of FrameArea (Frame area start from offset 0x003E).

DWORD at 0x003A - Size of frame area. It could be used to allocating memory for frames.

Other fields are documented by Noid.

You wonna shall know it? ;)
Ed the Monkey
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Ed the Monkey »

does this mean you'll be putting in FRM suppor for some future version of Red!Viewer Red?

BTW, I think the above post disqualifies Anchorite as SDF... at least the D...
Just one monkey in a room of infinite monkeys, typing on infinite computers, now taking an infinite coffee break.......
Red

Post by Red »

I'll do some tests... Although that data os useless for my viewer if I ever save it it'll need to be populated properly... And offset 6 IS used. It determines at which frame an action happens (ie, gun shot is fired (first shot on a burst), door is unlocked, item is picked up etc...)
Our Host!