Problem after installing official FO2 patch.

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
Ajantis
SDF!
SDF!

Problem after installing official FO2 patch.

Post by Ajantis »

Hello. I'm new here.

Recently i installed FO2. I have WinXP.

I could run the game and play it, but i read in many forums that i should install the official patch because it will fix many bugs.

So i install the official patch, but then i try to run the game and it says:

"Running Fallout 2 requires the CD!" ( it was in the cd-rom )

How come, i could run the game without the patch and now that i have it i can't?

Maybe this subject was brought in and solved before but i couldn't find any practical solution in the forums.
( this is the page when i downloaded the patch: http://www.svatopluk.com/fallout/download/f2patch.stm
is it the official patch that i should have installed? )

Any help will be appreciated.
( It is interesting that just some days ago i installed and played the patched version of FO1 without problems on my XP and now that i have a newer game that should be even easier to install and play, i have headaches!! :anger: )
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Welcome to the DaC. i like your Crash Bandicot Avatar. beautiful memories playing in a Zombie Mall. ... ehh... O.o ... maybe try this:

1. Clean your CD probably, watch for scars.
(probably not the reason)

2. Try to run the CD on different cd/dvd drives, (only when you have more)

3. The patch you installed was probably the false one, maybe wrong language version(i doubt it) or try to download the patch from any other site, except NMA.

For example here, if you have an fileplanet acc:
http://www.fileplanet.com/51547/50000/f ... S-version)

or for free here:
http://www.3ddownloads.com/RPG/Fallout%202/Patches

4. If nothing works try to get a NO-CD patch

or something ... cant think of any, or update your Windows XP or dunno.

Report in, Team.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I can't recall a similar problem. Make sure you have humongous installation. I'd probably try different compatibility modes, reinstall the game and try with different patches(both official and unofficial) for starters.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

1. Reinstall the game (select humongous).
2. Apply the official patch (check DAC-Sniper's links)

If that doesn't work, get a crack (No-CD patch) from www.megagames.com
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Just make a shortcut to fallout2.exe file on your desktop. Rightklick the shortcut and enter properties, than enter competability and switch it to win98 or win95.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

You didnt select humongus install.

It will automaticly run without a CD then.
Ajantis
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Ajantis »

Hello and thanks to all who replied.

First of all, in my previous attempts i did allready choose homongous installation and it didn't work so it is not about it ( i will choose it again thou ).

Well, i don't have an account on that web-site because lol, i should pay for subscription?? no way. I'm not rich enouph to pay for beeng able to access some pc game's patches or files. :?

Well, i will try that other link that DAC-sniper gave to me.
But, i'm concerned by something, i heard that it is important to match the patch version with the appropriate game version, or else it will not work.
So, how do i know which version do i have? It is a copy btw.
I heard that if it is written fallout 2 version 1.0.0 ( i have it ), it is the UK version. Is it true?

I can't understand why i can play the game without the patch, but the error arises after installing it...maybe it was not the wright patch.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: Problem after installing official FO2 patch.

Post by Briosafreak »

Ajantis wrote:Hello. I'm new here.

Recently i installed FO2. I have WinXP.

I could run the game and play it, but i read in many forums that i should install the official patch because it will fix many bugs.

So i install the official patch, but then i try to run the game and it says:

"Running Fallout 2 requires the CD!" ( it was in the cd-rom )

How come, i could run the game without the patch and now that i have it i can't?

Maybe this subject was brought in and solved before but i couldn't find any practical solution in the forums.
( this is the page when i downloaded the patch: http://www.svatopluk.com/fallout/download/f2patch.stm
is it the official patch that i should have installed? )

Any help will be appreciated.
( It is interesting that just some days ago i installed and played the patched version of FO1 without problems on my XP and now that i have a newer game that should be even easier to install and play, i have headaches!! :anger: )
I'm having the exact same problem but on Vista. If you tried the UK patch uninstall, reboot, install again and now try the US patch with the compatibility to win95 and tell us if it worked.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

You really never have to uninstal entire game to remove the patch. Just delete patch000.dat file and fallout2/data folder and fallout2.exe file, than copy fallout2.exe file from fallout2 cd you have and patch is uninstalled.
Ajantis
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Ajantis »

Hej people i just wanted to report that i finally solved the problem.

I uninstalled the game and after installing it again at "large" install, and after downloading the US patch, it worked.

It seems i had the US version and i couldn't run it with the UK patch.
Maybe there was a problem with the homongous install too.

Well, thanks to all who helped me. I have another question thou, but i will ask it in another subject.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

So I was right, that's a great help.
Our Host!