The Reality Of The Situation

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

The Reality Of The Situation

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

A few years ago, I would have thrown down a few hundred for a new video card and some RAM, but things have changed. The fans of Fallout are growing up and have real-life responsibilities. Bethesda knows this.

That's why Fallout 3 is not going to pay homage to the originals in anything other than name. They're going to revamp everything, force button-mashing and twitch dynamics, and cater to their target audience: kids with consoles.

Hell, the closest to an RPG most people in the last 5 or 6 years has gotten has been Morrowind, Oblivion, or one of the new Final Fantasy games. Fallout's time is over and Bethesda is going to do with it what the new RPG players want. So we're going to get Oblivion with Guns. No question about it (if there ever was).

This game is not being created for the PC (to port to console later). It's being created for both. This spells disaster. It may look pretty, but as the old saying goes. "You can't polish a turd." The underlying game will have to suck. It is going to be dumbed down and twitchy for the console group, so actual Fallout fans will hate it. It's going to have too many options, vast open spaces, and "too much talking" so the console group won't like it.

It will fail.

The way I see it, if I want to play Fallout 3, I have three choices.

1. Ignore my family and save money on top of my tax return to buy a computer because I've got nothing available that can play anything newer than 5 years old. With the stats of the game unknown, it's seeming more and more likely if I want to actually play it, I'd have to save about $1500 to get said computer.

2. Spend my tax return on a refurbished XBOX360 and a car payment.

3. Go back in time and destroy Bethesda. Cross fingers and hope Interplay follows directly follows FOT with FO3 rather than...FOBOS.

This is not a Fallout the fans will want, play, or buy.

[/rant]
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

You should've made this post like three years ago, dude. Fallout 3 has been on Suck Street for a long time. Personally I'd mix options two and three.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I don't care, as long as there's soil erosion.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Re: The Reality Of The Situation

Post by DaC-Sniper »

ExtremeRyno wrote:I have three choices.
Take the pink pill. :chick:

But seriously, a game needs to make me want to buy a computer, by offering something like a great story with many freedom choices and not by showing the greatest particle effects in history. I rather think GTA 4 will be the game, which will force me to buy a new computer and not Fallout 3. (28th March GTA 4 Trailer B) i cant wait) But we´ll see what those bethcows will create, maybe i´ll play Fallout 3 only out of pure irony.
Kukident
Regular
Regular

Post by Kukident »

"Oblivion with guns" for the DAC expression of the year!

and all those posts are about the same:

FO3 will suck

and probably you are even right...

but why talk about it then? we ve already heard often enough :<
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

This will be the thread that ruins Bethesda, oh god yes. On a side note:

See his ball go flying out?
Kukident
Regular
Regular

Post by Kukident »

TNP wrote:This will be the thread that ruins Bethesda, oh god yes. On a side note:

See his ball go flying out?
funny :clap:
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I'm tired and flu-ish.
astro
SDF!
SDF!

Post by astro »

Consoles are made for instant action, grab the controller have lots of fun, turn power off and forget untill next time. So the Arcade games proved to be the best genre for the Consoles very entertaining and easy to get started. Among them various fightings, racing games, and such as Mario, Sonic, and some simulation games (boxing, soccer, etc).

The consoles are extremely bad for 3D first person shooters, because the controlls do not allow to move and aim at the same time as effectively as those of PC. Consoles can't handle strategy games for the very same reason. And finally consoles are not supposed to support RPG, simply because they are much slower paced to satisfy an everage console fan.

The only RPG series that gained popularity are those Japaneese with fancy graphics, literally no dialogues and plenty of shining flashes.

Console meant for fun not serious and thoughtfull gaming. So let it be. Let the younger people take what they like. But there could be no dumbing down the original PC series to the level of console misery.

I can only hope that FO 3 doesn't come on Nintendo Wii, where you controll game with the radio transmitter swinging.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

astro wrote:The only RPG series that gained popularity are those Japaneese with fancy graphics, literally no dialogues and plenty of shining flashes.
What JRPGs have you been playing? Every JRPG I've ever played has dialogue cutscenes that last a kijillion minutes. The problem is they're just that, dialogue cutscenes. Spazmo put it best when he said that RPG's are more like "Storybooks" then actual roleplaying games in that things are generally very linear. It's not always bad and console games can have thought provoking stories and such (not many though), they're just light in the gameplay department that we'd all like.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

My bro has a 360 so I don't have to rely on my crappy computer. And you better believe I'm not buying Fallout 3 unless it is nothing like what we know it will be like. I will probably rent it, although I think I owe Blockbuster my first born. I don't play video games anymore anyway. I pray to Zeus that the game bombs.

We can help it bomb by getting on every Fallout 3 forum and bashing the game before the kiddies get their hands on it.

My idea of Hell would be playing Japanese RPGs all day.Only taking breaks to eat glass.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Most jRPGs are gay.

Chrono Trigger and Zelda are about the only good jRPGs (ok, Zelda isnt officaly an RPG, but its close enough to jRPG with the way its setup. Of course, I have refused to buy the new 3D ones simply because I dont want to play a zelda FPS fragfest)
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Is Ryno Extreme again?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Dogmeatlives wrote:We can help it bomb by getting on every Fallout 3 forum and bashing the game before the kiddies get their hands on it.
There are other Fallout forums, much less Fallout Forums dedicated 3?
Last edited by Wolfman Walt on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

He is proposing the Internet War.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Ryno needs to bring back the Drinker.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

I propose someone living in the MD area find hines and get in a bar fight with him and beat the shit out of him right before E3.

Todd too.

Reporters ask what happend, they could say that the fans made themselves heard.

More likley, they'll just say they beat eachther to a bloody pulp so they could scan the bruises into the game for realistic brising.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I'm not located in MD but I do have Spring Break coming up. I smell a roadtrip movie. Along the way I'll meet new and interesting people and broaden my horizons. By the time I make it to MD (my car has broken down several times of course) I will learn a valuable lesson about friendship and Pete will inform me that I didn't have to go searching for happiness, I had it all along and never eveen knew it. I will them proceed with the beating.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Dogmeatlives wrote:(my car has broken down several times of course)
you need an german car! :salute:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

LOL, i'm so tuff fallout fan I'll beat pete and todd when i sees them.

Niggas please.
Our Host!