Would "Van Buren" really have sucked?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Would "Van Buren" really have sucked?

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

I keep running across random comments that say "Van Buren would have sucked" without any justification at all. Since there's nothing very interesting happening in this part of the forum, I wanted to bring up this topic to figure out why people feel that way.

The impressions I had of Van Buren was that it would have been awesome, an excellent continuation of the Fallout series which both upgraded technologies while keeping the style of the series intact. The screenshots I saw were great, the storyline (now that we know it) sounded great... what the hell are / were people complaining about?

It seems that nobody was actually criticizing the game at the time it was being developed, but only after the fact. Justify thyselves!
Death to quotes.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

i thought that it sounded pretty dope, a lot of the sidequests and npcs and whatnot sounded quite interesting and fleshed out from reading the town descriptions, and the game mechanics seemed greatly improved (new unarmed moves and whatnot, plus more uses for science/speech boy type characters, if i'm not mistaken) the main story was pretty planescape: torment-esque though, but to be fair i'm not really sure where it was destined to go.

overall, a lot more inspired than fallout 2.

rosh & the naysayers are swell guy. what were the major reasons for bashing it again?
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

atoga wrote:rosh & the naysayers are swell guy. what were the major reasons for bashing it again?
They were angry nobody asked fortheir help.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Still... it would have sucked! :anger:
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

The plot that I heard sounded pretty retarded. Wake up in jail ZOMG ROBOT BREAKOUT LOLZ insert robots chasing you to move you along the plotline.

Also the graphics were so 1993.

Regardless. I have no feelings either way. It doesn't exist. Never made it anywhere even vaguely within reach of release, so whatev mang.

Superhaze = Doc Hill.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

The game mechanic sounded pretty good, but yeah the story's beginning sounded retarded, and the graphics were blend. I liked the good ol' gritty graphics of 2D Fallout.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

cartoony graphics, talking raccoons... i don't know. but the mechanics looked good, like susan said.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Ya wohl

S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Zu Behfel, Mein Herren.
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

jetbaby wrote:The plot that I heard sounded pretty retarded. Wake up in jail ZOMG ROBOT BREAKOUT LOLZ insert robots chasing you to move you along the plotline.
Any more retarded than to force one along a plotline, say, by trying to find a waterchip before your fellow Vault-dwellers died? Or trying to find a GECK?

I didn't have any problem with the whole robot thing as it was already made clear in the first two FO that technology hadn't completely decayed in the wasteland. Are some Fallout fans obsessed with the idea of seeing continual decline in the wasteland? Hardly interesting. Much more interesting to see a cyclical rise and fall of various communities.

Altogether, the settings and the storyline sounded very cool. I liked the idea of traveling in a different part of the USA, dealing with a Mormon commune, a Boulder scientific center, a decaying Denver. I'm from Wyoming, so all of this doesn't sound all that far-fetched to me. The writers did their homework.
S4ur0n27 wrote:The game mechanic sounded pretty good...
I'm not sure what you mean by "game mechanics." That could mean any number of things.
S4ur0n27 wrote:the graphics were blend. I liked the good ol' gritty graphics of 2D Fallout.
jetbaby wrote:Also the graphics were so 1993.
This is funny: I see two folks totally digging on each others comments while saying completely different things. So, the graphics looked "old," or the graphics were too "new"? Hmmm... :clap:

The graphics of the game looked like a nice update without going overboard. If one were to keep 3rd-person isometric view, then I'm not sure you could do better.

Long live the un-born successor! I'll always have a warm place in my heart for the FO3 that could have been. :wax nostalgic:
Death to quotes.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

TelemachusSneezed wrote: "game mechanics." That could mean any number of things.
http://www.falloutvault.com/index.php?t ... en_SPECIAL
So, the graphics looked "old," or the graphics were too "new"? Hmmm...
"gritty" is used to describe the graphics theme used. "so 1993" is used to describe outdated graphics. get with the program.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

The VB graphic looked like early 3D, which was total crap; no detail at all, blend and repetitive textures.

A lot of older 2D games have a super detailed scenery. Fallout, while having some repetitive tiles, still had a great level of detail. Close Combat games had a very detailed landscape compared to early 3D strategy games.

Final Fantasy 7 made a very good use of 2D drawn backgrounds, too.
DarkPhilly
SDF!
SDF!

Post by DarkPhilly »

Keep in Mind that VB was not fully finished, so they probably didnt add all the OMG GRAFIX ENHCNXEMENTS!!!!11
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

There's a large difference between your friends and family dying of mutant rape or water loss and robots coming at you in the night.

Also, the whole NCR-takes-over-california-andgoes-to-war-with-the-BOS thing was kind of dumb.

johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

jetbaby wrote:Also, the whole NCR-takes-over-california-andgoes-to-war-with-the-BOS thing was kind of dumb.
i actually think it well continues that feeling of development and progress that the NCR was absolutely dripping with in fallout 2. the war with the BOS im not sure, i havent read anything about van buren in a long time
Slaughter_Manslaught
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Slaughter_Manslaught »

I've read a lot of design docs, and I can surely tell you guys that Van Vauren IS Fallout3. I like it. I like how NCR is the New, but falling, civilization. Science Chars and other types of chars had A LOT MORE USEFULNESS!!
The game was going to have the goold o' pillar of Fallout (Choses and consequences), the history was excellent, and I loved the cities. A shame that Herve favored POS.
Bring your daughter... to the Slaughter of Manslaught.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

NCR wants tech, BOS says no, war ensues, general stalemate held by BOS technology and NCR numbers, eventually BOS begins to lose due to said lack of numbers, turn to stealthboy-equipped warriors who go insane, project cancelled, crazed warriors steal stealthboys and leave, form own sect, yadda yadda.

Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I'd have probably enjoyed Van Buren although I get the feeling if it WERE released, everyone would have been like "it's worse then fallout 2" which ofcourse is "worse then Fallout." Dunno, it's hard to say without an actual product if it was good or bad. It looked ok and while I'm not crazy about the whole plot line and super dimensional space weapon that destroys the world or whatever was planned for the finale, but I'd have still enjoyed playing it.
Broken Xeno
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Broken Xeno »

I'd have liked it. I remember when it was announced and I kinda got excited about it. But of course, there was BOS, and I hadn't been overly thrilled with Tactics. I dunno. I wish they'd been given a chance, the screens I've seen of it were pretty cool, and what I've read of the story sounded like I would have enjoyed it a lot.

Also, I liked F2, a lot. It was really camp in certain spots, but still, it was a really fun game.
-Broken, Not Busted-
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

It's impossible to speculate, but it gave me a better vibe than the thought of a Bethesda sequel. Wasn't Sawyer the lead on VB? Instills more confidence than Todd and the OB crew.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Our Host!