How not to fuck up "Fast Travel"

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

How not to fuck up "Fast Travel"

Post by Aonaran »

Yeah, so in at least one of those previews it was confirmed that there will be a fast travel system in Fallout 3 but that they haven't yet figured out how they would implement it. Here is my suggestion on how not to fuck it up.

Instead of having an absurd instant teleportation system like in Oblivion, they should have the screen display the old school "Vault-Tec Maps" travel screen, complete with iron cross marker and Indiana Jones dotted line showing your movement from point A to point B. Also I think a system of random encounters should be implemented to prevent overuse, although with a decressed frequency of violent encounters so that it is still a better option than traditional travel.

Assuming they implement a Morrowind style fast travel system, they could use Caravans (suggested by Blinzler on the official forums) very much in the way they used Silt Strider platforms.

Personally I think in the absolute least they should use the Vault-Tec map as the loading screen showing the line crossing from your current location to your travel destination as a "load bar".

Discuss.
Last edited by Aonaran on Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

I agree.

Dont fuck it up.

Round 1...
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Like in FO1-2? Sure, why not. Let's just wait for the retarded acronym for "world map" now.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Cthulhu wrote:Like in FO1-2? Sure, why not. Let's just wait for the retarded acronym for "world map" now.
Exactly. Oddly enough ridiculous Bethsoft development ideas such as "fast travel" have provided a perfect opportunity to implement the original Fallout Travel Map and system in a first person sandbox game.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I'm pretty sure one of the interviews mentioned using the DC Subway system for fast travel.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Wolfman Walt wrote:I'm pretty sure one of the interviews mentioned using the DC Subway system for fast travel.
Like the Quartz sewers in wasteland.

See, there's precedent!
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

If you want to fast travel, use da super MadMax Engine car with da big engine, but OH NOES; there aren`t any cars in Fallout 3.

Assholes. Reminds me on Stalker.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Just call it Vault Tec Assisted Teleportation System and be done with it.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Or Fast Universal Car Keen In Teleportation.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Kashluk wrote:Or Fast Universal Car Keen In Teleportation.
We have a winner.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Wolfman Walt wrote:I'm pretty sure one of the interviews mentioned using the DC Subway system for fast travel.
Yeah, it did. But, strangely enough, they made they made a distinction between the subway system and fast travel.
IGN wrote:Just like the Metro of the present day, it's a fast way to get around the city but the presence of super mutants makes it a dicey proposition. Basically you can think of the Metro as a large dungeon that allows you to get from one area of the city to another relatively quickly. (There will also be a fast travel system like we saw in Oblivion but the details haven't been fleshed out yet.)
I have not played Oblivion, so I don't know... were there random encounters during fast travel?

Of course, the best way to not fuck it up is make it like it was in FO1&2...
Incidentally, that is the recipe for how to not fuck up anything i FO3.

I really don't see any other alternatives.

Edit:
Kashluk wrote:Or Fast Universal Car Keen In Teleportation.
And it makes for a nice abbreviation! Definitely the win.

Hint, hint, Bethesda.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

no, there weren't any encounters while fast traveling in Oblivion. There were specific ambush points on the roads and encounters almost always consisted of you getting ambushed by bandits/fauna. zzz.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

The morrowind "Fast travel" were teleport areas. Go to the guy, talk, pay, teleport.

The oblivion fast travel was "click your map, click place, teleport and time has passes when you load the new map"

This methodology was pretty widely torn into by previous TES fans, simply because it not only made it abundant that the level scaling randomly generated world that exists between the towns in oblivion is complete trash and not worth a second look, but that the rest of the game is about two hours long on top of that. The only reason not to teleport in Oblivion was timed quests that you'd auto fail (or that just wouldn't let you teleport) and if you were a shitty gimick vampire and would get fucked for appearing into town in the middle of the day.

So I'll restate the question and answer for the kids at home.

Q "How are they going to do teleportation throughout their shitty small world in FanOust3"
A "Morrowind style, unless they think they won't take the same flak from the Oblivion style from us as they did from people who fucking like their shitty games"
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
mixmastermind
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by mixmastermind »

Supreme
Hi-powered
Inter-dimensional
Transportation.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

One of the previews (several actually) have stated that they have some dude "dedicated" solely to making random encounters out in the wasteland. While they did say random encounters when they elaborated they gave the example of a guy fighting a radscopion "and stuff like that." So, anyways, hopefully that is just a poor choice of words.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Why the fuck would there need to be fast travel, it's all set in and around one city. Fucking walk. OH NOEZ NEXT KWEST TWO BLOX OVER?!!?!?!? FAST RTRAVLER
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I talked to one of the journalists that saw the demo and he said you entered the subway, fought some enemies and then the demo just skipped ahead to them outside the next subway station. According to him whether or not the Subway is a fast travel or a more direct route / dungeon is still unclear.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Aonaran wrote:dungeon
Don't ever mention that word!! D: That's what is the most frightening, in my eyes, when I think of Bethesda making Fallout : Oblivion and Morrowind had terribly boring dungeons.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Cthulhu wrote:Like in FO1-2? Sure, why not. Let's just wait for the retarded acronym for "world map" now.
Vault-tec assisted travel system? Oh wait, fuck.
Our Host!