In Praise of the Leather Jacket

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

In Praise of the Leather Jacket

Post by OnTheBounce »

As some of you know I've been hard at work revamping my weapons catalogue to come more into line with the FO RPGs. During copious amounts of playtesting I've made an interesting discovery: FoT's weapons catalogue - and therefore a large part of the challenge of the game in general - was skewed due to the lack of a single item: the Leather Jacket.

The reason I say this is because the Leather Jacket only had an AC of 8, rather than the 15 of Leather Armor. This might not sound like much of a difference, but remember that the AC is subtracted from the base chance to hit, which is someone's weapon skill. So we're talking a difference of 7% here. Since most Raiders in the first four missions were first level and had a SG skill - (5% + [4 (AG)] +20%) - in the neighborhood of 50% - you can see that, after range penalties have been figured in, that 7% went a long, long way toward making those Raiders incapable of hitting your squadlings at anything but very close range.

If any of you are considering doing a low-level campaign, I would heartily recommend including the Leather Jacket if you have any intention of making it challenging. PM or email me if you'd like a Leather Jacket sprite and entity which is set up identically to the original Fallout version.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
MrWacco
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MrWacco »

I total agree with that idea, because the raiders really do suck and a 7% diference would change it greatly due to sheer numbers of raiders involved

Also leather jackets are sooooooo stylish
Bulldog
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bulldog »

Second time around in FO1&2 I edited my character waayyy up so I could wear my leather jacket the whole game. I was shocked it was missing from FOT.
Our Host!