Weapons for FO, wadda ya want?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Koki wrote:
St. Toxic wrote: A) It's not exactly the best place to draw weapon inspiration for the Fo games.
Probably, yeah.
2) Goddamn commies.
Russians are not commies. And russian internet is the last free place, if dangerous with malware lurking behind the trees.
True dat. Not all of them are.
Doggedmeat
Respected
Respected

Post by Doggedmeat »

OOOooooOOOOO item crafting in FO, the possibilities are endless. I can socket my piperifle with +2 Personality and be a better sex machine because my rifle is WasteLand fabulous 4 the win. That way I do not have to concentrate on the game itself but run around farming for crap to craft these items that will suck by the time I need em. The only good from item crafting I can think of in the FO game would be upgrading your power armor to ED209.
baby arm
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by baby arm »

skin loves <a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com">godless children</a>
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Doggedmeat wrote:OOOooooOOOOO item crafting in FO, the possibilities are endless. I can socket my piperifle with +2 Personality and be a better sex machine because my rifle is WasteLand fabulous 4 the win. That way I do not have to concentrate on the game itself but run around farming for crap to craft these items that will suck by the time I need em. The only good from item crafting I can think of in the FO game would be upgrading your power armor to ED209.
with lousy design any concept can suck. :drunk:

thanks for sharing your optimism though. :pelvic_thrust:
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

What would you really need to craft though in a post apoc world? Ammo maybe? Get a charger and reactibles and make yourself more small energy cells / fusion cells?

On an even more annoying level, keep (or find) spent shell casings and re-tool them and re-powder them for re-use.

Then of course there would be the more practical weapon upgrading. Sniper scope for your zip gun. A .357 with a bayonet.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

fallout 3 will be set in the year 2020 or something.(it just sells better)

so, stop posting those old weapons. :chick:
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

SuperH wrote:What would you really need to craft though in a post apoc world? Ammo maybe?

Then of course there would be the more practical weapon upgrading. Sniper scope for your zip gun. A .357 with a bayonet.
the more tedious stuff like replenishing ammo stocks should be passive.

fun stuff like modding your weapon, cobbling together some l33t armor or creating a death bot 3000 should be active and interesting.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Personally I think they should make finding guns alot harder that in the other games. Do you realize how hard it would be to find a working gun in a post-apocolyptic environment? It should be like in the Roadwarrior, when Max had only like 4 shells for his shotgun the whole movie.

It would make you grateful for every round you found. That rhymes.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Killzig wrote:the more tedious stuff like replenishing ammo stocks should be passive.

fun stuff like modding your weapon, cobbling together some l33t armor or creating a death bot 3000 should be active and interesting.
The passive ammo idea is really good, the higher your... something skill? Repair? Science? Your ammo naturally replenishes itself over time, or something. Maybe you set which type of ammo you want to make yourself and then through game magic you are naturally looking for what you need as you travel the wastes.

Death Bot 3000 is also an awesome idea - I was always a little pissed that I couldn't take science and repair and fix the Mr. Handy's I'd killed to work for me. You should at least be able to scavenge parts to put together something to work for you.
Last edited by SuperH on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Dogmeatlives wrote:Personally I think they should make finding guns alot harder that in the other games. Do you realize how hard it would be to find a working gun in a post-apocolyptic environment? It should be like in the Roadwarrior, when Max had only like 4 shells for his shotgun the whole movie.
An easy way of achieving that would be to add the leveled loot system, like in Oblivion, however, I'd be the first one to boycott the game if they did that.

I'm playing Fallout at the moment (the first one) and even there, I have an excess of money and guns, etc. Besides the point, I'd see that as a great improvement in the game. More ways of spending money, so you never have enough for all the things that you want to do.

Anyway. I'd say that creating an abundance in guns in nearly impossible (unless you use the leveled loot system) and then it wouldn't be open ended any more. What I tried doing once in FO2, was to head to New Reno straight away, lockpick the door behind Bishop's guards and help myself to the Magnum (had it upgraded by Algernon as well) and Leather Armor, etc. It was fun to do it once, just because I could. If you made guns hard to find, you'd remove such elements from the game = less liberty.

An idea to achieve something like that => Make the storyline more linear. Keep on listening. You know, Fallout 2 didn't look linear, but you always went the same route, Arroyo -> Klamath -> Modoc -> Vault City/Gecko -> Redding/New Reno, etc. Now if you had a similar system in which the player gets guided through the process like in FO2, but what if you made travel take longer? Even longer than in FO (hawt damn, it takes ages). Obviously, you'd return less to finish off broken quests, etc.

This is just a suggestions. Fire away now.

Oh and by the way, less guns = less random encounters. If you had one of the only guns available and you get into a random encounter, you'd have a massive advantage if you had a gun, and a massive disadvantage if you didn't have one. If all the roughes had guns, there you go = same problem as in previous FO games, excess of guns.

So reiterating my ramble, I think that creating an abundance would be to introduce more ways of spending money. In large amounts. I.e. buying land, property, investing, etc. Would be cool :B
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

Please stop speaking in tongues…

Nobody can understand what you are trying to say.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Jesus Christ wrote:Please stop speaking in tongues…

:(
"Speaking in tongues"?
Doggedmeat
Respected
Respected

Post by Doggedmeat »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:

"Speaking in tongues"?

Ahhhh French.....

Anyhow, a Perk to be able to recycle spent shells into live ammo at a rate determined by the level of perk I would except. However any crafting of anything that would provide a stat bonus modifier would be heresy. Also there should be fewer encounters and personaly I prefer the time limit of the first FO then the 13 year limit of FO2. I think the combat itself could be revamped in leu of more guns. I would not mind seeing alternate experience for combat resolution. If you run and live you should get small exp, since you lived. If you shoot someone dead in the eye with one shot, then you would get average exp. If you chop a guys leg off and don't kill them and leave them after looting them, you should get a different amount of exp depending on what weapon they had and difficulty level they are. In short I am tired of the concept that I have to kill everything just to get exp.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:

"Speaking in tongues"?

Brilliant idea, Frater.

Brilliant.

A Babel-virus that makes it so people can't understand each other.

So you have all these speech minigames to navigate the dialogue trees.

Great Fun!
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

It will be like the cyberspace parts of system shock only if you bump a wall you have to enter combat.
chang
SDF!
SDF!

Post by chang »

I'd like to see some kind of shields in FO3, trashcan lids, riot shield, force field generator maybe, even an easter egg of Captain America's shield, (can be thrown and used for melee.) Shields would add a bonus to AC but penalizes a character for using two-handed weapons.

unarmed weapon counterparts for kick attacks, i.e. steel-toed boots, kick-boots, dag-boots, spiked, clawed, powered, turboed, these boots were made for kicking stuff, etc. Only because for some reason, I keep gravitating towards an unarmed combat type of character when playing and I'd like to do something besides punching the bad guy. Maybe some of the more powerful ones would impose a penalty on sneak skill.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

I think though, don't unarmed weapons improve your unarmed damage regardless of whether you're punching or kicking, already?

Not so realistic, but neither is the exploding chest critical when you hit someone in the eyes.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Koki wrote:Russians are not commies.
Hah! Next you'll be telling me that Poles aren't all jewish. Guess I'm stuck in the good ol' 50's US of A.

EDIT: Image

Nice ladygun.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Those are pretty cool B)

But they're a little too flowery. Looks like what rayguns would have been in Arcanum?
Our Host!