Can't start Fallout2.

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
Jlp5
SDF!
SDF!

Can't start Fallout2.

Post by Jlp5 »

First of all, I'm using Windows 2000.

After I install the game and try to run it, my screen goes black and a few seconds later, I'm back to my desktop. I've tried compatibility mode, manual install, reinstalling on each install size, and all the patches. I can install the game on other computers (With Windows 2000) and it works fine (No need to patch or run under compatibility mode)
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Simple solution:

Reinstall windoze on you masheen.

Or, alternatively, you could commit suicide, because you can't play the greatest game of all.

Counter Strike.

I mean... Fallout.
Brupaos
The Unlucky SDF!
The Unlucky SDF!

Post by Brupaos »

I'm having the exact same (needless to say, frustrating) issue, although I'm running windows XP.

I've had 5 rigs since the release of Fallout 2, this is the first one to have this problem.

A quick google search seems to show this problem is popping up a lot but I haven't seen any solutions.

The screen goes black, makes the clicky sound of a resolution change, twice (obviously changing resolution for fallout 2, and then back to desktop resolution), and then goes back to desktop without so much as an error message. Sometimes if I run it while something else is sucking up my computers resources, I might get to the "Please Stand By" screen for half a second or so.

I wil personally paypal 20 bucks (enough to buy a month of play on any Fallout MMO that might get released, which would be long enough for you to find out how terrible it is) to whoever finds a way to fix this.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

This is just a wild guess but try changing your screen resolution before you start the game.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Try searching again for win2k solution, there were devs/etc. commenting about how to get it to run under win2k on the old boards. Those are gone now but you might get a "hit" somewhere.

If it works on other rigs, the problem may be *your* rig, which you are obviously aware of.

Check drive assignments in the text/seteup/etc files.

Wrong pointers may be doing you in.

Edit: The Humongous install had problems. Avoid it. Keep the CD in the drive at all times.

I'll try to help again when I'm not impaired.
Our Host!