the cover art poll

Role-play any post-apocalyptic scenario to your heart's content or discuss unofficial Fallout PnP games.

your opinion on the COVER for Fallout d20

It's great!
6%
It's not bad.
4%
the general quality is Ok, but it's definitely not Fallout style
19%
overall it looks bad, but it has some nice Fallout style and feel.
6%
it looks like CRAP and it's totally NOT Fallout style!
65%

Total votes: 52

Gwenfloor
Regular
Regular
Location: Vault City, one of the mindless totalitarian-controlled masses...

Post by Gwenfloor »

Every time I look at the Cover Art, I get an aneurism... :anger:
RAK
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by RAK »

Even in the modified version, it still doesn't conform to what I'd want in a Fallout product. Akimbo guns aren't just stupid (try aiming two guns at the same time. My guess is that most people couldn't hit the broad side of a barn past twenty metres), but also do not conform to "Fallout style". The mutant and ghoul are somewhat better than the original, but still don't really look "Fallout" enough.

Whoever posted the picture with the "Operator's Handbook" cover: Well done.

EDIT: St. Toxic, of course. Famous for the art, "Future".
"When conversing about oligarchy, you must consider this point: Many children are taught from an early age that monarchies are primarily benevolent, and are given very little to discourage this opinion until at least adolesence. Even more prevalent are stories about the supposed benevolence of heirs to the throne, symbolising a cycle which they are taught is good."
Shamer
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shamer »

Very briefly,

old cov = SHIT of the ugliest kind, the one you wouldn't even smear on the toilet door if you were into this form of "artistic" expression

new cov = "improved" shit, I might even consider smearing it if I ever get overwhelmed by dosage of inspiration solid enough to get me into that form of artistic expression

Sure it doesn't conform to Fallout canon, but then they probably being subjective and trying to be original. Besides take every single rpg product released and the art is certain to range from superb to passable or worse (again matter of taste and too much fuzziness in evaluating this stuff). Oh and (although I'm sure that I'm digging a hole for myself here), recognise that in many cases artwork is somewhat marginal in a good rpg book (it sure fucking helps though!), it's what you can do with the material presented (art you can supply yourself if needed) and you have fun with it in your head using your imagination not graphics (not exclusively anyway).

I'm curious though in what way (if any) the GCG's little turd is endorsed by former Interplay crew, or whoever holds right to the Fallout franchise anyway? If they have a license of some sort why would'n they use/modify/base on the original art from the games/manuals/publications etc? The use some iconic stuff anyway so what are they trying to pull? - someone mentioned this already, budget limitations perhaps.

Despite the slightly uplifting b/w samples of inside art posted elsewere, I can't fail to see an ugly shadow looming over the whole project. D20 had its share of small budget postapp pnp rpgs before, check Darwin's World for instance. Consider yourself warned though compared to their cover art even the original cov in question here is solid (not a masterpiece) - content, hard to digest to say the least, but as any rpg with the right ppl has lots of potential (not that I've played that one). Still the upcoming game (if released) is going to be nothing else than a small, almost homebrew plugin book for the open game license system. I just hope that the implementation of the game roles, skill system and the setting will be good enough to bend to my desires but a true Fallout pnp rpg it will probably not be.
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

read the thread before posting. d20 is on a loong vacation. staff exekuted.
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

guess he did, just hadn't had the time to post eariler and still wanted to express his opinion. At ease!
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Famous for the art, "Future".
Fame seemingly doesn't pay the bills. :chew:
Our Host!