Wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Post by Splatterpope »

Hello all, first post and all that.

I guess the main thing I'd like to get out of the way is my stance on Bethesda's development of Fallout 3. And I'd also like to discuss that in this topic, though not in the usual vein (flomg, the world sux, kill bethesda.).

They've got balls. Huge, Masculine balls. The kind that would break a mortal mans spine.

For a start, they're taking a gaming series with quite possibly.. No, THE most fanatical fan base to date, and developing a sequel. And this isn't some normal established franchise where you can make a sequel, and it will be carried on the success of it's predecessors shoulders by default. Oh no. In this case if the formula doesn't gel perfectly, it will be an absolute failure in every sense of the word.

Next, they're completely changing aforementioned formula. Though it seems hazy at the moment, the details we can see on the horizon are.. Well, a completely different game. Sure, it's post apocalyptic. I'm sure they'll even try to integrate the story, setting, humor and all that. But all signs point to first person, real time action. Whilst opening many doors in terms of settings and gameplay, they're changing game dynamics in such a way that the consequences will only be seen when they put the final cut to market.

I guess the final thing I'd have to say about them putting their necks on the line, is that they really are putting their necks on the line, in more ways than one. Of course as a company, for if they release something sub-par, not only will they spoil their (arguably) perfect track record, but they will ruin investment and other money-making avenues, as no-one likes a company with a huge blotch on their record. Once it happens, it seems, it inevitably leads to games developers being swallowed, never to surface again (sniffle..).

But the danger that I'd be most concerned about, is the very real threat of physical retribution. It may sound laughable(To most of you.. maybe..),
but when I say the fans of this game are fanatical.. Well, I know this one guy from back in my year 9 class. He lodged a pen in our classmates eye for spilling coke on his fallout survival manual.

So, introductory blather aside, what do you feel that the market and real world consequences are of Bethesda's taking up our beloved?
SearchingForFriends
Respected
Respected

Post by SearchingForFriends »

Don´t hide yourselve behind that stone, coward!
Take it like a man :chainsaw:

To your Question:
I think the picture is a good representation of the Fallout-Community.

Last edited by SearchingForFriends on Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nominar karous Rageia.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Splatterpope wrote:Hello all, first post and all that.

I guess the main thing I'd like to get out of the way is my stance on Bethesda's development of Fallout 3. And I'd also like to discuss that in this topic, though not in the usual vein (flomg, the world sux, kill bethesda.).

They've got balls. Huge, Masculine balls. The kind that would break a mortal mans spine.

For a start, they're taking a gaming series with quite possibly.. No, THE most fanatical fan base to date, and developing a sequel. And this isn't some normal established franchise where you can make a sequel, and it will be carried on the success of it's predecessors shoulders by default. Oh no. In this case if the formula doesn't gel perfectly, it will be an absolute failure in every sense of the word.

Next, they're completely changing aforementioned formula. Though it seems hazy at the moment, the details we can see on the horizon are.. Well, a completely different game. Sure, it's post apocalyptic. I'm sure they'll even try to integrate the story, setting, humor and all that. But all signs point to first person, real time action. Whilst opening many doors in terms of settings and gameplay, they're changing game dynamics in such a way that the consequences will only be seen when they put the final cut to market.

I guess the final thing I'd have to say about them putting their necks on the line, is that they really are putting their necks on the line, in more ways than one. Of course as a company, for if they release something sub-par, not only will they spoil their (arguably) perfect track record, but they will ruin investment and other money-making avenues, as no-one likes a company with a huge blotch on their record. Once it happens, it seems, it inevitably leads to games developers being swallowed, never to surface again (sniffle..).

But the danger that I'd be most concerned about, is the very real threat of physical retribution. It may sound laughable(To most of you.. maybe..),
but when I say the fans of this game are fanatical.. Well, I know this one guy from back in my year 9 class. He lodged a pen in our classmates eye for spilling coke on his fallout survival manual.

So, introductory blather aside, what do you feel that the market and real world consequences are of Bethesda's taking up our beloved?
Bethesda has nothing to lose. They can deliver some utter shit, i.e. Oblivion with guns and still sell out. It doesn't matter if Fallout fans will boycott it. We mean nothing to them and they know it.
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

SearchingForFriends wrote:To your Question:
I think the picture is a good representation of the Fallout-Community
JFK and Todd Howard: Both men with the same amount of responsibility.

Something else similair about them, but that'll come after the release date.
Frater Perdurabo wrote:Bethesda has nothing to lose. They can deliver some utter shit, i.e. Oblivion with guns and still sell out. It doesn't matter if Fallout fans will boycott it. We mean nothing to them and they know it.
I hate that you're right.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

it doesn't take balls to do what they're doing, it just takes arrogance.
sure FO fans are bastards. who wouldn't be, after getting crap thrown at you throughout allmost ten years. but the hatred in the community is in no way a threat to bethesda, because of the size of said community. they're not making a game for fallout fans, they're making it for the console whores, and who can blame them? they're just following the money.
that's allright. i've got no problem with bethsoft trying to make money.
i do, however have a problem with their lying.
they called oblivion an rpg, when it was actually a crappy shooter, and they made shitloads of money off of it. how does that affect future rpg's? it gives rpg-producers a hell of an incentive to make crappy shooters and calling them rpg's, that's for sure.
they're calling this game that they're making FO3. we have every indication that it'll be another crappy shooter, like oblivion. what does that do for FO's memory? what does it say to the people who love FO1 and FO2, and who've had to endure tactics, fantasy, interplay's lying and mismanagement, as well as troika's repeated economic failures. it says "go fuck yourself". if they were making another FO game, everything would be hunky-dory. but they're not. they're making something completely different, and labelling it FO. it doesn't take balls to do that, it just takes arrogance.
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

Wow. A forum with intelligent discussion..

Yeah, reading through your post (and several other threads) I kinda understand the whole thing a bit better now.. They really don't have anything to lose. The demographic they're going to target will be the same one as oblivion, 13 year olds with no sense of gameplay, plot development or challenge.
It'll just be seen as a sequel to oblivion, the "trudge about and kill stuff." sim of the century.

Thanks for restoring my faith in the gaming industry. I'm going to town to buy a few bottles of cheap whiskey.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

don't over-estimate dac. most threads are still about either goatse, homo-eroticism, or a combination of the two.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Splatterpope wrote:Well, I know this one guy from back in my year 9 class. He lodged a pen in our classmates eye for spilling coke on his fallout survival manual.
how :blargh: B)
did the guy lose his eye or at least his eyesight after that incident?

FO3 will be shit, but I don't care too much.
Same will probably apply to JA3, but the fan project v1.13 is in the do plus maybe JA3D and JA3 won't suck that much in the end, who knows. :chew:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

The thing is that despite the fanatical fanbase, companies don't listen to em. Fallout Fans have been clamoring for a well made part 3 for the last 8 years and when something like FOBOS was announced, you'd think World wide internet war 4 broke out. Unfortunetly - FOBOS was still released as a shitty game.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

The fallout community is just a drop in the bucket in terms of sales. The hardcore ones have quite a presence on the internet, but numbers are pretty small. There's members DAC, NMA, the Codex, and... that's about it. You could argue that the fans on the internet only represent the tip of the iceberg of people who have the same sentiments about the game - but I highly doubt it. At most, offending the communities will hurt Bethsoft's sales by what, a few thousand? Big whoop.

Anyway, most of the people I know who like Fallout like it for rather silly reasons, ie. throwing rocks at children and killing shit, rather than for more salient reasons like the strength of the story & atmosphere.

Anyway, after bitching about it for so long I could care less either way about the future of Fallout.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

Thor Kaufman wrote:how :blargh: B)
did the guy lose his eye or at least his eyesight after that incident?
Naw, it was one of those cases where the pen hit his eye and skimmed past it. Looked pretty ugly, but after a couple of weeks looking awesome with an eyepatch, he was fine. They're best of friends now.
atoga wrote:At most, offending the communities will hurt Bethsoft's sales by what, a few thousand? Big whoop.
Probably boost their sales.. I'd buy several copies just to burn them.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

I presume FO3 as GunBlivion would have the construction set.

But who's going to do a whole game with that?

fallout fans are frightening and should probably be caged

They changed the location! Try the new one:

fallout fans are frightening and should probably be caged
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Bethesda doesn't care. Realize. They bought a game with a strong name. They don't care about what made it that way or the people that loved it. They invested in a brand name and plan on producing their own product with a false label.

My spine hurts.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

I realised a long time ago, I just tried to supress it.

Coming here extinguished forever my candle of hope that has endured the elements for the past 8 years.

Oh woe.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

It was a dark, dark world you lived in to keep it burning that long. FO:T blew mine out. If FOBOS couldn't finish off the flame you is one krazy nigga, nigga.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Sounds like you need some .45 caliber aspirin.

Well, someone here said that if Beth makes Oblivion with guns he's going to throw bricks at their office. So there is some hope, after all :drunk:
Serious Business.
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

jetbaby wrote:It was a dark, dark world you lived in to keep it burning that long. FO:T blew mine out. If FOBOS couldn't finish off the flame you is one krazy nigga, nigga.
Well, I looked at FO:T as a multiplayer combat sim. My friends and I just used it to basically pit character builds against each other, and see who'd come out on top. Or have exploding dog battles.

I completely and utterly ignored BOS. I think i've actually ignored it so hard, I can't believe it exists.

Other than that I've just played the proper Fallouts over and over. They were what kept me going.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Oh it exists in all it's horridness. Actually it's not really that horrible - just so mind numbingly mediocre that it sucks all the fun out of your life...ok, I guess in that aspect it's horrible. I'm so happy that interplay went down before the second half of it was released.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

We must financially ruin Bethesda so they'll never release F3.

Or, like i always say, we use pay pal to hire assassins which solve the problem silently... at night...
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

It's cause he wishes he was you
Our Host!