Artwork continues...

Role-play any post-apocalyptic scenario to your heart's content or discuss unofficial Fallout PnP games.
Tensen01
Glutton Creeper artist

Artwork continues...

Post by Tensen01 »

Okay, so the artwork is coming along good. Nothing to reveal, really, except all of us; Myself, Craig, Alecks, Sam, David, we're all doing very well, and if I could show you the stuff that's happening it'd blow your socks off!!!

Sad news, though, Sean D is no longer with the project. He is a very busy person and was just unable to devote as much time as he wanted/needed. He left under amicable circumstances though, and the art he's posted on his DeviantArt in the last week has been great. All the best to him.

Anyways, yeah, I'm nearly done with my pictures and all the stuff is great.

So, that's all, just thought I'd keep you aprised. Everything's going well.

Derek
<a href="http://tensen01.deviantart.com/">Hand Drawn Art by Derek Hand</a> Art by yours truly. Available for Freelance or other work
PUEBLO, CO. AREA GAMERS! Yahoo group, <a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PuebloGamers/">Join Today!</a>
Don't get caught unprepared, get <a href="http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ZA ... /u></i></a>
Character Artist for the Official <a href="http://www.gluttoncreeper.com/page3.html"><b>Fallout d20 RPG</b></a>
Tensen01
Glutton Creeper artist

Post by Tensen01 »

Alrighty, so the primary artwork deadline has come and gone and from what I can tell we all met it :)

There's still a few pieces to do that were given out at a later date, but it looks like the overall art is about 90% done :)

I hope John posts a few pieces once all the contracts are signed and stuff, that'd be cool. Let you all see what we've been seeing from each other.

Anyways, I can tell you we've all kicked-ass. CHaracters, Armor, Creatures... everything is great

And I must say it's been a pleasure working with all the artists.
<a href="http://tensen01.deviantart.com/">Hand Drawn Art by Derek Hand</a> Art by yours truly. Available for Freelance or other work
PUEBLO, CO. AREA GAMERS! Yahoo group, <a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PuebloGamers/">Join Today!</a>
Don't get caught unprepared, get <a href="http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ZA ... /u></i></a>
Character Artist for the Official <a href="http://www.gluttoncreeper.com/page3.html"><b>Fallout d20 RPG</b></a>
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Tensen01 wrote:Okay, so the artwork is coming along good. Nothing to reveal, really, except all of us; Myself, Craig, Alecks, Sam, David, we're all doing very well, and if I could show you the stuff that's happening it'd blow your socks off!!!
Really.

So who was responsible for the cover art? Does this "sock-blowing" extend to the other artwork, or is this just the only amazing piece of work to be worth using it as the cover piece?

Fallout had two notable loading screens that clearly defined the artistic style of Fallout, which was why the viewpoint and more were used in the game's interface style.

What the fuck?
Obsidian:
Now working on Fallout: New Undermountain!

They promise to spend only a year on this title - only a year less than the original Descent to Undermountain!
Tensen01
Glutton Creeper artist

Post by Tensen01 »

Removed
Last edited by Tensen01 on Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Tensen01 wrote: Uhmm... I have no idea what you're talking about. No art from the game(with the exception of some of the Vault Boys and weapon pics) is being used in the Book...

What are you talking about?
You should know, you replied and quoted to it, and I think I was quite clear about it. Even went into length about it elsewhere on this forum.

To put it step by step:
1. The cover pic, for instance, and the logo. Both are horribly fucked.
2. There are TWO freebies of Fallout loading screens that depict the exact pulpish style Fallout takes its roots from. I'll even be nice and do your homework as an artist (even though I'm not an artist) and point out that you should be looking at EC Comics.
3. The cover art, even with the misplaced style, elements (turbine engine, the artillery), and fugly orc (I mean, super-mutant), still looks like ass.
4. The font on the cover. Not only is it crap, but even a placeholder logo would have been far preferable.
(EDIT) Oh dear lord... I certainly hope that's not the Final logo design... I need to speak to John about that.
Sounds like a lot of people need to speak to John about a lot of things. Namely, how to do his job if he expects people to buy this shit. So far, the cover art, the intro, and the ruleset all appear to be fucked, at least with what was given as a sample. If you guys are proud of that bullshit, then no thanks, I wouldn't buy this shit in a million years with free money. I wouldn't even care to play it if it were free, that is how shitty it is so far.

And yet two months of editing is supposed to find and correct everything, given the amount of time already spent.
And that is a very low-res image of the cover, it's much better looking in higher res.
I don't need to look at a higher res image of shit to know that it's still shit.

I also know what the cover looks like at hi-res, I was the one who converted the 3MB PDF to a 900k PNG because exporting a PDF in five minutes seems to be outside of GC's publishing ability. The one that they currently have up on their site is darkened, probably to hide most of the problems with it, and failing again. For a better pic of the cover, check NMA.
And if you don't trust my opinion then don't buy the book.
First I'd have to see some reason to spend the money I earned on something people don't care to work seriously upon.
You'll be disgusted by the fact that we didn't reuse art from the game and decided to be original.
You mean you didn't stick to the art style of the setting? Congratulations, then, you're all fuck-ups. Don't try to be "original", kids, it didn't work for FOT or F:POS, or anything else bastardized for a quick buck with the "we're trying to be original" excuse for shitty work. Stick to the material. It's NOT what YOU want to do, you are working on an established material with plenty of source if you guys only cared to look for it. For example, it's a wonder how craptacular the intro turned out with the Vault (and timeline, etc) being at DAC, too.

And here I thought at least some of the weapons models and such might have been spared. We're probably going to see more shitty FOT power armor, if the cover pic is any indication and you don't see anything wrong with it. So I guess that amounts to TWO clueless artists so far, you and the numbnuts who made the cover.

So unless you want us to continue considering this more fucked up than C-3PO in Star Trek, ALL OF THE PEOPLE ON THIS "PROJECT" are going to have to put forth some noticeable effort, because this is clownshoes F:POS bullshit so far.

The Fallout fansites have been publishing Fallout material for years for free, and yet GC wants to come along, do a bit of half-ass work on a "lincensed" publication, and then expect people to buy it? Amazing.

So once you guys show a bit of serious effort, it might be taken a bit more seriously. Otherwise, it appears that people are far from impressed.

(I know it's pretty harsh to target you for the mistakes of others, but you've already said the artwork will blow our socks off. Not true by a longshot given the reception from what's supposed to be the cover piece, and I've seen good Fallout fan work over the years. That bullshit doesn't even come close. And the more of the team that we can get woken up to a clue so you can do things right, maybe it won't turn into a circle-jerk of self-pity like F:POS once people don't buy the book and instead pan it hard so you guys come to the same conclusion as Chuck Cuevas that we're ungrateful to pay for lazy work, yadda, yadda...)
Obsidian:

They promise to spend only a year on this title - only a year less than the original Descent to Undermountain!
Tensen01
Glutton Creeper artist

Post by Tensen01 »

Removed
Last edited by Tensen01 on Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Tensen01 wrote:Yopu know what, All the artists worked their asses off, and if wanna judge a book by it's cover then fine, don't buy the fucking thing, I don't want my artwork in your hand if that's the case.
Well, if you think the cover artwork is good, chances are your work will be just as shitty. Your pride means nothing to me except as an object of scorn, as Chuck was also quite proud of his work and his team. The only thing that matters to me is the material and the treatment of it.

So far, I find both to be quite lacking.
I agree it's not the best cover, but I've seen far worse from bigger companies.
That is an excuse?
And if you say we artists didn't take this seriously you can go fuck yourself. I worked my fucking ass off to do the best artwork I've ever done and I won't fucking take it from some nitpicking fanboy who wouldn't know his his ass from a hole in the ground.
And they can go fuck themselves for the poor job they did. It's not my fault they decided to not stay in the right styles. If the style isn't what they do, then they are the wrong artist for the job. If they decide to not take care with the subject matter, such as flattening a really poor copy of the Fo1 PA helmet, along with using FOT shoulders at the same time, then that is their fault. If they decide to not take care with how they present the material, that is their fault. It is also their fault for expecting that I'd be happy with the butchery of the canon.

And I certainly can tell my ass from the hole in the ground, but I have to wonder about so-called "artists" who can't tell this from this and this.

On top of that, I'm not even an artist, yet you supposedly are. As was whomever made the cover piece. That includes researching the topic of your pieces, so would you care to explain what a disfigured Fo1 PA helmet is doing on FOT style shoulders? Or am I supposed to be amazed by that, since you're proud of it and the artist?
I've very proud of ALL the artists. Every single fucking one of them, and I'll defend their work to anyone who come along. And I'd be honored to work with them again.

Good for you.
You then proceeded to cuss out and call down everyone on the project without cause. You've judged an entire team by one piece of artwork.
LIAR. I have, at length you're probably not used to reading to, explained the problems with the material presented. "Without cause"? I gave PLENTY of cause. Judged an entire team by one piece of artwork? Wow, another lie. I have already pointed out the problems of the presented material at length, and now to educate you about your own project, I will point out exactly which elements I was commenting about. The intro, the cover, and the traits, indicative of the attention to background fiction, artwork, and the core ruleset. All three were released and made it into the Fallout fansite news.

SO FAR GLUTTONCREEPER SUCKS ASS ON ALL THREE COUNTS. And those were the samples, so I'd hate to see the comparatively crappy stuff.

So much for "The Evolution of Tabletop Games" when the attention is that poor. Unfortunately, I can't really think of much else besides background fiction, artwork, and the ruleset in a P&P book, so maybe you'd like to point out an element thus far that doesn't look like half-ass work people would expect from a random fan-fic post.

And this is supposedly a commercial quality product.
(Snip the rest of the tantrum.)
Listen, kid, it's not that hard. If you decide to go publish a Star Wars book half-ass, what do you expect the reception to be like? Daisey chains and blowjobs?

Let me know when you return to reality and understand that people are not too impressed with misplaced crap that doesn't even bother to try and adhere to the setting or canon.

So, minus canon, what are you working on? A post-apocalyptic d20 setting? Already have a few, and they appear to have done more creative work than you guys managed to take existing background info and rape it (including the info Fallout fans have published on our sites for years, yet you guys still failed to be able to use it). Have fun belonging on the game store discount rack.

When you kids want to act like professionals, let us know, because as you could have guessed if you were paying attention, NOBODY has really been receptive to the trash samples shown, no matter how much pride you care to squirt onto the forum, and we're your target audience if you didn't already notice. If the cover remains the same, I think it's a guranteed zero interest.

That could change...

It's called "give us a reason to be interested". How does that sound? Then we don't have to sound nasty at being handed garbage. If the styles and canon was adhered to, as well as the rules already not such a mess, as well as some clue going into the intro document, then maybe we'd have a reason to consider buying this. As it stands...I know who the fuck you're trying to fool, two sets of people tried before (three if you count Interplay) and failed and Bethesda's now at bat; seriously, how stupid do you guys think we are? 17,000 total sales of F:POS says otherwise, and you don't even have the console trash to hype it onto. Congratulations, you've made another faceless budget d20 supplement when it could have been much better if people decided to do things right in the first place, and make Fallout to d20 supplements as what it was to the CRPG genre. But I guess that keeping up to the same quality was too much to ask, huh? Where you learned that half-ass was acceptable is a mystery to me, but excusing half-ass because others might not bother to take the same kind of attention to detail is just pathetic.

Back to the cover art. I know others have come up with worse, one of the original Monster Manuals is a clear example. But then there's something called "not trying". If someone took the initiative to make the cover look good, rather than look like a generic action movie poster, then it would have been a bit better. What would have made it stand out, in particular among the rest of the forgettable d20 supplement rack artwork, would be if the artist made it into Fallout's borrowed EC Comic style, and made it look like a comic book cover. But I suppose that takes talent, and I'm not an artist, so what do I know, eh? ;)

But, canon fucked (guns akimbo, power armor, a "super-mutant" with smooth skin and a smooth brow, and the turbine engine for a few obvious examples), art style doesn't suit the setting, and it looks quite generic down to the orc with a minigun. So, again, the cover piece, no matter how prideful you want to be, is still trash.

"Fallout Whoring....Fallout Whoring never changes..."
Obsidian:

PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

Derek,
I don't have the nerve to read the whole thread.
I see you noticed the 'cover' is not good.
To be precise, it's fucking terrible (oh and don't worry about 'foul language', we don't delete posts at DAC.);
it's got really un-fitting style, bad font, bad technique.. it's just... seriously wrong. The Fallout style, the canon, all that, is completely different.
Please tell me the rest of art is done after the artists saw what Fallout games and manuals look like and after they adopted that style for this Fallout game they're supposed to be doing. I'm not talking about re-using any of the original F art, but sticking to the style. So is there hope this game will feel like Fallout?
but I've seen far worse from bigger companies
please say you were just mad when writing this and you don't actually think it's an excuse..
Tensen01
Glutton Creeper artist

Post by Tensen01 »

I was just mad, and not thinking clearly. It's not an excuse.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Tensen01 wrote:I was just mad, and not thinking clearly. It's not an excuse.

And that's it? No further explanation for your bullshit?

Funny, context in being nestled within similar excuses, would infer that it's part of a list. Hell, how can we expect you to stick to canon when you can't even stick to the conversation?

You guys just can't stop lying, can you?

Run off, leaving piss-trails behind you. Maybe if you guys were smaert enough to look at how we received other bastardizations, instead of trying to leech off DAC for free publicity for your own similar half-ass shit that is loosely connected to Fallout in name only, then you wouldn't be considered the same brand of shit salemen.

We care about quality...which is amazingly why people support Mikael Grizzy's mod, because it focuses upon repairing Fallout 2 towards canon and the setting styles so the lazy asshats like you who can't be bothered to play Fallout 1 with a clue can put the connection of styles together; once you figure out how to mod the weapons into the game. Which I'm guessing would be a similar challenge, since everyone on your art team talks to each other and helps each other with happy handjobs, none of you can seem capable of editing an image file worth a fuck. And John's just fucked when it comes to files in general.

Oh, snap!

Guess you're fucked on all counts, then, kiddies. It's been nice knowing you, but buh-bye. You're now listed along with the rest of the Fallout molesters, and I hope you're proud of yourself. Enjoy your pride, for how long it lasts, and for however much it's worth.
Obsidian:

[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

Rosh for presidente. :neverforget:
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
SeanyD
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SeanyD »

Uh oh Tensen , illd back down from Rosh there buddy. He has a nack for winning forum wars believe me :D. You may hate him, but most the time hes right. He made me see i couldent handle a large project ala Omega project, and damn it to hell he was right! Now im sticking to being the artist.

If Glutton creeper games actually paid me half upfront then the other half at the end i would have been a lot more interested, but if someone else offers you more money and you actually see that money while you work so you can pay the rent then i had to take the second option. It just seems strange to me to work your ass off on some artwork and then see none of the cash for up to 3 months later ya know?

So ya, adious
Our Host!