fo2: combat control for npc doesn't work

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
bryanc
SDF!
SDF!

fo2: combat control for npc doesn't work

Post by bryanc »

Hi.

I'm playing fallout2 on a mac, and just got my first NPC character to join me. When I click on the combat control button, the conversation interface drops away, and then.... nothing happens. I can't make anything respond at all, but if I hit ESC then the conversation interface comes back.

Has anyone else seen this problem, or know how to correct it?

I'm using OSX 10.4, fallout 2 patch 1.02. I think it's 1.02a specifically, which is the most up-to-date patch I could track down for the Mac version of the game.

Aside from that problem, it seems to run almost perfectly. I'm not sure if the problem is specific to Sulik, or if it will happen with all NPC's in my party. So far, he's the only one I've picked up. I suppose I can play the game like this, but it sure would be nice to tweak fighting styles.

-Bryan
XLR8
SDF!
SDF!

Post by XLR8 »

Hey there,

Since I have recently ran into the same problem myself while replaying the game for old times sake I thought I would do a bit of testing to see what might be causing the issue. I cant tell you exactly what it might be but I did find out when running the game on my other comp (OS X 10.3.9) that it didnt have the same problem. Therefore it looks the current version of Fallout II has an issue with OS X 10.4 (running latest 10.4 verson on this one) or vice versa. Reinstallation may work although I dont see how, as the first thing I did was try and delete any old pref/cfg files to see if that fixed the problem but it didnt :( Hope this helps somewhat tho... ^_^
I sense a soul in search of answers...
bryanc
SDF!
SDF!

Post by bryanc »

thx for the reply. I don't have another box to try it on (I only have one mac -- my lappy -- to play with). I got myself stuck in Vault City right now anyway and I can't remember what I need to do. (I will not cheat, I will not cheat... I will figure it out again)
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

You don't need to do anything in Vault City. There's nothing plot related there. Infact, you don't need to do anything in a lot of places. That's one of the beauties of Fallout 2; the fact that you really only need to go to three locations to complete the game, but don't realize it until you've done so. Also, the other areas are so compelling and well made that you don't want to miss them.

If you're in Vault City and don't know what you're doing, you're probably doing the string of missions to repair and then optimize the Gecko nuclear reactor. If this is the first time you've been to Vault City, then you're probably there to find information about Vault 13. But since that information does not exist, you might as well skip go and get to the gecko powerplant quest, picking up Cassidy on your way out of town.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Press "z" , choose "status", click on "Vault City".

Show all of your opens quests in Vault City.
Gecko Power
SDF!
SDF!

Re: fo2: combat control for npc doesn't work

Post by Gecko Power »

bryanc wrote:I'm playing fallout2 on a mac, and just got my first NPC character to join me. When I click on the combat control button, the conversation interface drops away, and then.... nothing happens. I can't make anything respond at all, but if I hit ESC then the conversation interface comes back.

Has anyone else seen this problem, or know how to correct it?
I have the same problem. Unfortunately, it extends to all NPCs, not just Sulik. It sucks later in the game because you can't have your NPCs equip armor, making them so much fodder for the Enclave (unless you stick to unarmored NPCs like K-9, Goris, and Marcus).

It is possible, however, to customize combat styles (stimpack use, how often they burst, etc.) by clicking on the lower right corner of the invisible combat control dialogue box. That button is invisible, but seems to work.

The "use best armor" and "use best weapon" invisible buttons don't work.
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

If I'm not mistaken , don't your NPC's combat controls reset when you tell them to wait somewhere?
does this work
ducknte
SDF!
SDF!

Post by ducknte »

I apologize in advance if I am breaking any rules by linking but there is a solution at the following forum!!! (read the last two posts)

No Mutants Allowed Fallout Forum

It links to this missing file on Rapidshare
that has the instructions with it.

It worked perfectly for me! Amazing!
Our Host!