Changing the name of a Critter

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
korric
SDF!
SDF!

Changing the name of a Critter

Post by korric »

ok, I cant seem to change the name of a critter, id like to fx change sulik's name into bob or something.
How do I do that?
Would appreciate a thorough explaination.. I really lost at the moment in this, thanks.

-Korric-
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: Changing the name of a Critter

Post by Stevie D »

korric wrote:ok, I cant seem to change the name of a critter, id like to fx change sulik's name into bob or something.
How do I do that?
Would appreciate a thorough explaination.. I really lost at the moment in this, thanks.

-Korric-
When you say change his name, how do you mean? In terms of what appears when you look at him? ("You see: Sulik." etc.)

That can be done by altering procedure look_at_p_proc, in the critter script's .SSL file.

This procedure handles what message is displayed in the text window when you hover the mouse over the critter, in game.

I've just opened a script of mine, whose procedure look_at_p_proc section looks like this:

Code: Select all

procedure look_at_p_proc begin
   script_overrides;
   if (local_var(LVAR_Herebefore) == 0) then
      display_mstr(100);
   else
      display_mstr(101);
end
Yours should be similar, or you should be able to find lines similar to them if it is more complex (if you're reusing Sulik, I guess it will be).

The lines we need to change are the ones with the two display_mstr codes. There are two of them because the first one handles what text is displayed before the PC speaks to the critter; the second, what is displayed after the PC has spoken to it at least once.

Change display_mstr(100); to:

display_msg("You see: a guy whose basic description Stevie doesn't know.");
and display_mstr(101); to:

display_msg("You see: Bob.");
This only handles what the text window displays when you hover the mouse over Bob, mind - not what it displays if you perform a detailed (binoculars logo) look upon him. Find procedure description_p_proc, which hopefully looks something like this:

procedure description_p_proc begin
   script_overrides;
   display_mstr(102);
end
Now, you'll need to change display_mstr(102); to

display_msg("This man appears to be entirely unknown by Stevie.");
Save and compile. It should work in the mapper/game.

As a side note, the numbers referred to by the original display_mstr(NUMBER); codes refer to lines in the critter's corresponding dialogue file, which you can find in your ...Fallout 2/data/text/english/dialog folder. It would, in fact, be easier to change the lines in the dialogue file (*.msg) which are indexed by the critter's script, *instead of* what I've just written above. Your choice.

Let us know how you get on.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Don't mention it.
korric
SDF!
SDF!

Post by korric »

Hey
Thanks for the long reply.. havent been able to get time to write thanks to you, even though I saw your reply yesterday. But my girlfriend also decided that we should break up, so im pretty down atm, so I propably wont be scripting for the next weeks. But thanks, really, I meen it, by the looks of it, its more thorough than I had even expected. Thanks man
Why does love hurt so much.. I just want her back..
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

korric wrote:Hey
Thanks for the long reply.. havent been able to get time to write thanks to you, even though I saw your reply yesterday. But my girlfriend also decided that we should break up, so im pretty down atm, so I propably wont be scripting for the next weeks. But thanks, really, I meen it, by the looks of it, its more thorough than I had even expected. Thanks man
Why does love hurt so much.. I just want her back..
Oh. Sorry to hear it, chief.

Drown yerself in scripting - it'll take away the pain. ;)
Our Host!