good non-autechre idm

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

good non-autechre idm

Post by atoga »

recommendations? Specifically, I am looking for glitch music. Any leads at all would be appreciated. kthx
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

An honest question, hopefully preceded by a matching answer :

Why do you seemingly need to disguise noise as music before you consider listening ?

Why this topic ? Why Autechre in particular ? When it is all so wildly applicable, and I don't bloody know. Gods. :drunk:

I.I - Lies. Oh no.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Why Autechre? Because I have heard everything by them. I know a fair amount electronic music, but it is music from the conveniently named 'noise genre' (or glitch, or whateva) that I am seeking, not Squarepusher. I never had any intention of deceiving you.

That said, can't you just hook a brotha up with some obscure IDM?
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

:no:
baby arm
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by baby arm »

Don't know how obscure (or glitch) any of this is, but:

Boards of Canada, Stephan Mathieu, Oval, Microstoria, Kim Kascone, Datach'i, Kit Clayton, Minamo, E.A.R., tu m', Mikroknytes

Speaking of Mikroknytes, download this video and watch it fullsceen with headphones and party favors.
skin loves <a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com">godless children</a>
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

Oh Jesus, not IDM. You're better than that, atoga.

But if you must indulge your worst desires for the most head-scratching subgenre of electronica, Aphex Twin is as good a starting point as any, although you've probably already been there. I also agree with Boards of Canada. Check out the music genome project.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

It is all music, 'toga. It needn't be torn from the reptile and wire or the window. It doesn't wait nor care to be classified, pigeoned, marketed, exploited, pissed on, forgotten, ignored.

And it's going for a song.

THAT'S RIGHT !

IT'S ALL GOING. BALLADS, DUETS, ANTHEMS, CLASSICS, DEFINING SCENERY OF AND TO YOUR LIFE, VAGUE MISMEMORIES, THE INCONSEQUENTIAL ONOMATOPOETIC SOUNDTRACK OF EXISTENCE, ABOMINABLE SHITE THAT NEVER-SHOULD-HAVE-BEEN. GONE, GONE, GONE. OUT THE FUCKING DOOR. DEFENESTRATED ! I AM OUT OF MY MINDS WITH . . . SOMETHING ! FUCKING SANDWICHES WITHOUT EVEN A HINT OF MUSTARD ! AND IT ALL HAS TO GO. MIDNIGHT. TONIGHT. A TWENTY FOUR HOUR CLOCK TO COUNT OF ALL AND SUNDRY. NOT THIRTY DOLLARS, NOT TWENTY DOLLARS, NOT EVEN TEN DOLLARS, YOU EVER PREOCCUPIED, SYCOPHANTIC WHORES. CURRENCY CONVERSION ? NO DOLLARS. NOTHING. NOW. ARE YOU DAFT ?

ARE YOU LISTENING ?

No. They just took your Ears. As I took the Words. :drunk:
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I've heard most of Aphex Twin and I was pretty boring, aside from the first half of Richard D. James (which was brilliant) and Selected Ambient Works (pretty good). Boards of Canada are also sort of boring. However, I've heard some EAR and Minamo, and found both pretty desirable, so I'll investigate further that stuff, babyarm. Kudos. :salute:

What I'm really looking for, though, is something comparable to Autechre, but there doesn't seem to be anything resembling that. :sadblinky:
enzian
SDF!
SDF!

Post by enzian »

Hi guys, I just found your site while looking for any new news on the fallout franchise - and this the first topic I have managed to open.

Personally, I would recommend a guy out of NY who goes by machinedrum, whose album 'urban biology' is one of my favs. Have you heard his stuff?

edit: woops, wrong link. fixed.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Wikipedia wrote:Syndrone's debut, Triskaideka started off small but within a matter of years sold out of 1000 copies and was soon licensed by a respected European IDM label called Djak-Up-Bitch.
Sounds good.
baby arm
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by baby arm »

Well, if you're looking for more Autechre-like stuff, have you heard their Gescom side project thing? Also: Funkstorung, Richard Devine, Mike Paradinas, Ovuca, and Bogdan Raczynski cover similar Autechre-ish territory (although in very different ways).

Something back on the dronier side of glitch is this live set by Neil Jendon. I like it.
skin loves <a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com">godless children</a>
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

power electronics. noise. drone. massive amounts of free stuff on the web.
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I've heard Gescom... I don't think the territory it covers is that similar (it's infinitely more dance-able) but still pretty interesting, all in all (I really like the motor remixes ep). Thanks duder.
vx trauma wrote:power electronics. noise. drone. massive amounts of free stuff on the web.
But is it good?
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

alotta crap. alotta good stuff. every shade of turd and gold. worth the effort i say.
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

what is idm?

guess: industrial dance music?

only glitch I know of is otto von shirach.

most techno music sucks ass.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Intelligent dance music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_dance_music
LlamaGod wrote:most techno music sucks ass.
Yes crap, Watson?
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

hokey

http://www.ottovonschirach.com/

I spelled his name wrong, I guess.

But apparently he is 'IDM'.

the 1000000000000000 music genres are fucking irritating.

He's alright, he has a few tracks that its like 'hey, this is pretty rad' and then a few that are like 'hey, this is pretty shit'
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I am the Kwisatz Haderach.
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

http://www.ottovonschirach.com/

über nice.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Not quite sure if this is what you are looking for, but google a band called Forgotten Sunrise. Listen to some demos and if you like it, I can hook you up via Soulseek or so.
Our Host!