At it again..

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

At it again..

Post by Smiley »

It's that time of the year again, the summer Fan/lan party where 10 sweaty nubile young males, including yours truly, stuff themselves and their computers in my apartment, in a fruitless attempt to get that fan to blow cool air, instead of the same warm stale wall of "way-too-hot-to-be-breathable".

And in a vain attempt I seek out to you, among other boards, what games we should play. Like I said in some other post not long ago; Diablo2 and WC3 is getting more boring than trying to decipher blarg's 2thousand-and-something post.

So far on the list we have Titan Quest as the all new diablo clone, in sparkling 3d. It might bring a smile to our lips but I sincerely doubt it.
That's really the only new thing we're gonna try so far =/

Any suggestions for:

A. New games?

B. Classic games?
(MMRW, thanks for the links for the duke3d and quake upgrade-packs, this is sure to bring some happy smiles on the boys.)

And of course, multiplayer is a must..
Testicular Pugilist
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I haven't tried it myself yet, but I hear Dukester X is supposed to be sweet for Duke 3D LAN matches. It's designed to work together with the HRP stuff I posted before.

Other suggestions from games I used to multiplay religiously:

Jedi Knight, melee only. None of the shit sequels. The original JK (or possibly 2). Outcast and other spinoffs didn't hold my attention. I remember matches where people were screaming at me because of how cheap I was with the sidestep/saber slash combo.

Aliens vs. Predator. The first one by Rebellion. I was lost in this game for a good 2-3 years. Have one experienced guy be the predator with all weapons vs. a team of marines on a map called "Statue" (if I remember the names correctly). That was my personal favorite setup as a pred. Or do skirmish vs. an endless hoard of computer controlled aliens on "Stranded". God dammit I was fucking untouchable and remembering how much fun I had makes me want to dust off my CDs. Too bad multiplayer is only supported through Gamespy Arcade. You can still LAN though.

Deus Ex GOTY edition. You'll have to download a small patch at planetdeusex.com before playing. It's a hell of a lotta fun once you get a handle on everything.

Those are the best games for 10 people linked up. They're kind of old and install quickly, and at least for myself run perfectly on WinXP. Plus no modern game has matched their fun factor.

New games:

Dawn of War. I played it a few times online, and although it was fun it was also a bitch finding good players.

Doom 3 Last man standing Coop. Only tried once and I hear it rocks in LANs. http://lms.d3files.com/

UT2004. Gotta throw this in there because it's so easy to setup and there's tons of shit to try. You only need one copy for everyone to play (AFTER PATCHING), so that's a plus.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Re: At it again..

Post by Redeye »

Smiley wrote:It's that time of the year again, the summer Fan/lan party where 10 sweaty nubile young males, including yours truly, stuff themselves and their computers in my apartment, in a fruitless attempt to get that fan to blow cool air, instead of the same warm stale wall of "way-too-hot-to-be-breathable".
Each person brings at least one bag of ice. 5-10lbs or so each.

Be sure to have enough coolers to hold it all. Keep one open with the fan blowing over it.

Everyone rotates headbands/bandanas through the coolers.

It should enhance skill and enjoyment.

Also, everyone wear shorts and go shirtless. With war-paint and deodorant. (dry deodorant, not spray. Definitely no spray in the closed confines.)

Then load up Fallout Tactics ("Go Tell The Spartans" may be cool in MP) . or not...

Mechwarrior? I think there was one of those type games that only needed one disk. Or one for each 2 people. Ebay. Cheap.

Have fun.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

*laughs*

In light of your tastes in software, I can only balk, as you have, at the imaginings of unraveling, Smiley. Oh yes. :drunk:
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

The best game to play in groups is The Game. The rules of The Game are simple: as soon as you begin playing The Game, you are playing for life. As soon as you remember that The Game exists, you have lost The Game. If you lose The Game, you must announce that you have lost The Game (leading other surrounding players to lose The Game). Once you lose The Game, you have a 10 minute grace period to forget The Game again before play resumes.

The obvious question is "what the fuck is the point of this bullshit?" And the obvious answer is to gain the ability to innocuously go "ah, I lost The Game" and cause everyone around you to exclaim, "ah, fuck, I lost The Game!" and frighten strangers and so on. The secondary point is to spread this phenomenon as far and as fast as possible so that you can go up to anyone, anywhere, say "I have lost The Game" and have them know what you mean.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

In such a world, the man with the STMD would be King. Doubtlessly, that would sound awesome if it were, Spazmo. Do you perhaps have knowledge of drinking games to share, also ? :drunk:
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

The more drunk you are, the more you spill. Therefore, the more you drink, the less you drink.

Just go with DoW and scream what units are saying. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
Serious Business.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Where can I download the game?
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Zombie Panic. Much fun to be had drinking with a room full of mates yelling FLESH
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

thanks stainless. finally a reason to dig up hl 1 instadisk.

:salute:
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

GTA2.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

What Susan said, or any GTA3 multiplayer mod. (GTA Vice City multiplayer is pretty good fun, IIRC).
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

They have Vice City multiplayer? Fuck, somebody get me a PC.

If you want classics, I suppose Counter Strike is considered almost retro now.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Day of Defeat is pretty sweet, especially Source.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

StarCraft bitches
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

vx trauma wrote:thanks stainless. finally a reason to dig up hl 1 instadisk.

:salute:
I think the source version is out by now, or at least close.
Naked_Lunch

Post by Naked_Lunch »

johnnygothisgun wrote:StarCraft bitches
Die. Total Annihilation is where it's at.
minigunwielder
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by minigunwielder »

New(/ish) games:Tribes: Vengeance(4$, cant blame me for being unable to pay for a REAL Tribes game)

CS:S:Zombie Horde(I will get the game if you can link me to ebay auction of it)

Old games:AOW:SM

GTA2(GOD YES!(link please:( ))
The best game to play in groups is The Game. The rules of The Game are simple: as soon as you begin playing The Game, you are playing for life. As soon as you remember that The Game exists, you have lost The Game. If you lose The Game, you must announce that you have lost The Game (leading other surrounding players to lose The Game). Once you lose The Game, you have a 10 minute grace period to forget The Game again before play resumes.

The obvious question is "what the fuck is the point of this bullshit?" And the obvious answer is to gain the ability to innocuously go "ah, I lost The Game" and cause everyone around you to exclaim, "ah, fuck, I lost The Game!" and frighten strangers and so on. The secondary point is to spread this phenomenon as far and as fast as possible so that you can go up to anyone, anywhere, say "I have lost The Game" and have them know what you mean.
Playing The Game during GTA2 and T:V would be awesome.
ESF morons keep stealing my damned Yahoo accounts.
:anger:
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

Naked_Lunch wrote:
johnnygothisgun wrote:StarCraft bitches
Die. Total Annihilation is where it's at.
It's just so hard to get a copy. Unless you use this:
http://taspring.clan-sy.com/

EDIT: If anyone does want to play that, it has a fantastic and easy multiplayer component, and I would love to use the D GUN.
box
Rustbelt Princess
Rustbelt Princess

Post by box »

FPS

Quake 2 is a fucking blast, though I'll always always have a soft spot in my heart for Quake the First. Q3 mostly sucks. At that point, you're better off going UT, but I personally don't care for UT's, either.
Also Tribes and its sequel were both a lot of fun.

RTS

RA2 with Yuri's Expansion reigns supreme, but I've grudgingly tolerated Zero Hour for at least a year now. If I must go 3d, then it's Moon Project all the way. But Moon Project makes all my Nvidia cards take shits. There's probably some patch or something, but I just file the game under Unplayables: Too Much Effort Required [Messiah/Vampire/Sys Shock 2]

Other

Since LANs end up being 48+ hour affairs anyways, and for us tend to get even longer the fewer people are involved, usually we can just end up sitting around drinking, beer of all things, and usually spend more time showing off some not-funny web page, swapping pirated goodies, and/or trying to configure everyone's computer to run some 'old' game in unison than actually bothering to play anything.

That's why I personally have three of my fairly up-to-date computers set up in a permanent network. LAN whenever I want it, fuck the socializing.

It kinda smells like a LAN party in my pants after I get done with a day's worth of yard work and shit. Plus then I don't get a summons for having uncut grass and derelict cars laying about and all that upkeep business.
Our Host!