Help!

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Pantsman
SDF!
SDF!

Help!

Post by Pantsman »

I'm currently playing through Fallout 2 for the first time. I'm at the point where I need to repair the oil tanker's nav computer in order to get out to the oil rig. To do this, I understand I need the navcomp parts. A shopkeeper suggested I look in one of the old vaults, and I checked 15, finding no closed lockers or other such things. Vault 13, on the other hand, has a room full of locked lockers and footlockers. Upon returning to 13, I found all of the deathclaws had been killed by the Enclave except for Goris. My lockpick skill is only 25%, so picking the locks on the lockers is ineffective. I tried planting explosives in front of them to blow the locks off, but that didn't work either.

I eventually tried looking up a walkthrough which said that the parts were indeed in one of those lockers, and it also said that after helping the Deathclaws repair the Vault computer the lockers should be open to me. I'm playing V 1.02 of the game, not sure if it's 1.02a, d, or what have you.

Is this a bug in the game? Does anyone know how I might get at the parts? Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a stupid question.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Re: Help!

Post by Redeye »

Pantsman wrote:I'm currently playing through Fallout 2 for the first time. I'm at the point where I need to repair the oil tanker's nav computer in order to get out to the oil rig. To do this, I understand I need the navcomp parts. A shopkeeper suggested I look in one of the old vaults, and I checked 15, finding no closed lockers or other such things. Vault 13, on the other hand, has a room full of locked lockers and footlockers. Upon returning to 13, I found all of the deathclaws had been killed by the Enclave except for Goris. My lockpick skill is only 25%, so picking the locks on the lockers is ineffective. I tried planting explosives in front of them to blow the locks off, but that didn't work either.

I eventually tried looking up a walkthrough which said that the parts were indeed in one of those lockers, and it also said that after helping the Deathclaws repair the Vault computer the lockers should be open to me. I'm playing V 1.02 of the game, not sure if it's 1.02a, d, or what have you.

Is this a bug in the game? Does anyone know how I might get at the parts? Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a stupid question.
Buffout+Crowbar sometimes works.

Or:

Do a bunch of leveling up, put the points into lockpick.

Use lockpick tools - especially the improved lockpick set.

You can cheat by putting a set of lockpicks in each hand - the bonuses will stack. Just use one of the two by clicking on one of the weapon slots.

Also, you could join the hubologists in SF and use psycho to make your character very stupid so when you ask for your reward for finishing their mission, they take pity on you and set up the tanker for you- No Parts Needed, not even the FOB.

If you can't do the Hubber missions I hope you can get the lockers open or have savegames from earlier...

You could also just use Falche to give extra points to lockpick.

Here's the link: Fallout 2 Character Editor
Pantsman
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Pantsman »

My gratitude is immesurable. Although, buffout + crowbar? You mean take some buffout, and then use a crowbar on the lockers?

Redeye gains +10 Karma.
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

crowbar= greatest fallout item
does this work
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Re: Help!

Post by Koki »

Redeye wrote:You can cheat by putting a set of lockpicks in each hand - the bonuses will stack.
This will be your best bet IMO. Double Improved Lockpicks will give you whooping +80%
Serious Business.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Pantsman wrote:My gratitude is immesurable. Although, buffout + crowbar? You mean take some buffout, and then use a crowbar on the lockers?

Redeye gains +10 Karma.
Yup. Crowbar doesn't always work, but its good to try it on various things.
You never know when the developers might have tagged an openable thing to work with the crowbar.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Crowbar just gives +1 strength for opening stuff, that's all. No special magic about it
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Tell that to Gordon :cool:
Serious Business.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Thor Kaufman wrote:Crowbar just gives +1 strength for opening stuff, that's all. No special magic about it
Omg does that also work for the jammed doors in Vault City's vault lvl2?
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:
Thor Kaufman wrote:Crowbar just gives +1 strength for opening stuff, that's all. No special magic about it
Yes, you can only open them if you're strong enough. I think, either 8ST or 7ST+crowbar should work, use buffouts/jet as suggested, if you need it
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Thor Kaufman wrote:
Frater Perdurabo wrote:
Yes, you can only open them if you're strong enough. I think, either 8ST or 7ST+crowbar should work, use buffouts/jet as suggested, if you need it
Damn, in my last game I actually waited until I got the Power Armor -_-

Thanks for clearing that up.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Or gulp Buffout.
Serious Business.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Koki wrote:Or gulp Buffout.
Does Buffout stack? I.e. Will taking 2 Buffouts increase my STR by 4?
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:
Koki wrote:Or gulp Buffout.
Does Buffout stack? I.e. Will taking 2 Buffouts increase my STR by 4?
You can take 2 of each drug. That's the max. I think.

Free buffout is available in one of the easier to open rooms in the Vault City Vault.

Probably just one, though.

A free crowbar or wrench, too.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Ok, it doesn't matter now any more, since I just got power armor (yes, I am playing the damn game again).
Our Host!