Replaying Fallout 2

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Replaying Fallout 2

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

I've finished Fallout a few times, but the real jewel in my opinion, is Fallout 2. I have played it over and over and over again in many different ways, and now I want to start playing again and I want to do something different. I usually make a build that evolves around either the Gauss Rifle (other small guns, as I am on the way to obtaining it), the YK42B Pulse Rifle (use it end-game really), and then either Bozar or some Energy weapon to take out muties and the tougher lots (I never tag/max 2 weapon classes though).

Recently, I made a melee/Energy weapons build, and it was fun, but this time I want to do something totally different. I thought that since the ammo for it is very common, why not try to play through the entire game with an upgraded Assault Rifle? Has potential for bursts, decent single shot damage...

Oh and I usually play with a highly intelligent character with Fast shot and Gifted perks. I tried playing with a dumb character, but did not enjoy it much

Any ideas/suggestions on what I should do next?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Go for a high-luck unarmed character(high luck for criticals(later on the Slayer perk) and special encounters). Focus on maximizing your action points and lowering AP cost. Fallout 2, in my opinion, has a higher re-play value than the first one.
Last edited by VasikkA on Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

Tag no fighting skills, instead tag speech, science and another non combat skill and play with high intelligent and charisma, talk your way through the game. Try to complete it without ever actually fighting.

Or…

Just for kicks try it with an inelegance of 1 and see how far you can get before you get mad and smash your PC.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

tag throwing
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Urizen wrote:tag throwing
I did that once, did not really enjoy it though :\

I only used grenades really, is it actually fun fighting by throwing Wakazashis and such stuff? Aren't they hard to come by?
Jesus Christ wrote:Tag no fighting skills, instead tag speech, science and another non combat skill and play with high intelligent and charisma, talk your way through the game. Try to complete it without ever actually fighting.
I don't really like that approach, I mean there are a lot of situations which you cannot complete without slaughtering the entire place, i.e. Raiders. When I play, I try to finish as many quests as possible, so I would really not like it this way, also that's why I didn't like the dumb character, there were so many fewer things that you could do.
Jesus Christ wrote: Or…

Just for kicks try it with an inelegance of 1 and see how far you can get before you get mad and smash your PC.
Klamath.
VasikkA wrote:Go for a high-luck unarmed character(high luck for criticals(later on the Slayer perk) and special encounters). Focus on maximizing your action points and lowering AP cost. Fallout 2, in my opinion, has a higher re-play value than the first one.
Yes, I agree, Fallout 2 is much more replayable.

I actually quite like that idea. My usual character would be:
STR: 6
END: 8
PER: 7
AGI: 10
INT: 10
CHA: 2
LUCK: 2

Not quite sure if I got the values for END and PER correct, but I take Fast Shot and Gifted as traits. I guess that if I wanted to get more luck, I'd cut down 1-2 points on STR, a few on PER, a few on INT?

Tag both unarmed and melee weapons? And 3rd tag? I usually take speech...
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

STR can be 5, +4 from armor and +1 from the Red Memory Module.
END, well, I never played with anything else than 4.
PER, you can drop it to 5 for an unarmed char.

There, 8 points to use in LCK.

That gave me an idea, anyone played silent assasin? Supposedly if you kill the enemy in one rund with Sneak on it won't alert the enemies. Sneaking around and slicing throats with Ripper would be pretty sweet.
Serious Business.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Koki wrote:STR can be 5, +4 from armor and +1 from the Red Memory Module.
END, well, I never played with anything else than 4.
PER, you can drop it to 5 for an unarmed char.

There, 8 points to use in LCK.

That gave me an idea, anyone played silent assasin? Supposedly if you kill the enemy in one rund with Sneak on it won't alert the enemies. Sneaking around and slicing throats with Ripper would be pretty sweet.
Eem I thought that there are only 3 modules? PER, INT and CHA? ~~

I played with END 4 once, and kept dieing all the time. Did not enjoy it one bit.

Does Stealth actually have any use? I thought that it was useless in FO2... ~~
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:

I only used grenades really, is it actually fun fighting by throwing Wakazashis and such stuff? Aren't they hard to come by?
if you have trouble finding throwing weapons, put a few points into small guns. use guns for the easy fights and grenades for the tough ones.
Frater Perdurabo wrote:
that's an extremely end-game-inefficient character. don't forget that you can add 1 point to int, 5 points to str and 1 point to agi. with that character, a lot of those points are wasted.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Urizen wrote:
Frater Perdurabo wrote:

if you have trouble finding throwing weapons, put a few points into small guns. use guns for the easy fights and grenades for the tough ones.
Frater Perdurabo wrote:
that's an extremely end-game-inefficient character. don't forget that you can add 1 point to int, 5 points to str and 1 point to agi. with that character, a lot of those points are wasted.
Well he's been very effcient for my end games... You can add into any stat by perks, but in my opinion, thats a waste of perk. Because I play with Gifted, I like having a constant income of 20 stat points per lvl. By the time you can use the memory chips, the game is pretty much finished anyway. 6 str is fine imo. +4 for Advanced Power armor... How can you add more into STR and AGI? By perks? I think that's a waste.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

you can do it in san fran with memory chips. no perks needed
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Urizen wrote:you can do it in san fran with memory chips. no perks needed
Yeah but you only have memory chips for INT, PER and CHA as far as I'm concerned...
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

I've played a lone-walker stealth char, it was quite fantastico.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

le fantastico? Merde, napoleon fromage!

I am keen to this idea, I was creating character seconds ago(First time ever I picked up Small Frame, it fits a sneaky fucker), and then I had... a revelation.

Considering end-game stats only, how powerful can you be?
You can get +1 to all stats using perks. Let's say that walking for 10 hours and killing enclavers is worth it.
You can boost ST, PE, IN and CH by +1 using modules.
You can boost LCK by +2 in NCR.
You will have +4 STR for using Adv. Power Armor.
Gifted, +1 to all.
Small Frame, +1 to anything.

You start with 35 points to distribute over 7 skills; So, the max is 70. Adding all above points, you will have 60 character points. Did I miss anything? 10 TO GO GUYS
Serious Business.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Just use Big Weapons, FastShot, that faster shooting perk and Bozar and you'll be the uber killing machine.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Anybody know any easy tricks to get unlimited money in the first fallout?
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

Tag barter and find the drug dealer in the Hub that will buy his stuff back for more than he sold it to you.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Tag gambling and lament the ruination of a carefully balanced economy. Oho. :drunk:
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Koki wrote:
You start with 35 points to distribute over 7 skills; So, the max is 70. Adding all above points, you will have 60 character points. Did I miss anything? 10 TO GO GUYS
You start with 5 points in 7 skills= 35 pts.
PLUS you get 5 points to spend.

So you actually have 40 points at start.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Tough Shit Wilson (Sorry, couldn't find mp3 or lyrics, but this is the song which apparently inspired the depressed guy in Vault 13 in FO2. Or maybe they share a similar source.)

S8
P9
E1
C1
I10
A10
L1
Jinxed.
tags: first aid, doctor, traps.

Whatever didn't kill him made him stronger, but also left him crippled.
His health is fucked, he has the worst luck, his personality is that of a social retard... but he has become quite strong, his paranoia and hard-earned wisdom have sharpened his perception, he has learned the value of "run away! run away!" and of dodging, and he really is quite bright.
He gets hurt a lot and is very wary of traps, so his tags reflect this.

perks: bonus move, medical stuff, explorer/ranger/survivalist, tag(outdoorsman), scrounger, cult of personality(so he can have a buddy), mysterious stranger.

This guy actually may be fun to play.

Jet Boy, Jet Girl

S 4
P 5
E 5
C 2
I 6
A 8
L 10
Chem reliant, chem ressistant
tags: barter, speech, gambling (sneak, steal, small guns?)
Perks: flower child, tag(steal), ?

"Oooohhh, man... Cerberus hath breathed up us all, then he fucked off down to the pub and left the Gates open. Gates, man. Doors of perception, can you dig it, man? On one side is what we know, on the other side is the unknown... and in between are the Doors. See, lotta people look and say "It's a Wasteland", to me it's a Painted Desert. "I could walk a thousand miles, and I could walk a thousand more..."
It's fuckin' beautiful, man. Praise the Glow! "
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Redeye wrote:
Koki wrote:
You start with 5 points in 7 skills= 35 pts.
PLUS you get 5 points to spend.

So you actually have 40 points at start.
Holy shit, Batman.
Serious Business.
Our Host!