Porting old saves into FOT

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
Canis Lupus
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Porting old saves into FOT

Post by Canis Lupus »

Hey guys. First of all I tried searching for this but you all probably know that phpBB's search function couldn't find north with a compass so it wasn't much good.

Just now I installed FOT and wanted to put in some of my old savegames to continue where I left off. I couldn't find the folder to put them in so I started a new game, made a save then went back to the directory to find where to go. So in this "user" directory there are three folders, "$$current$$", "char", and "save". So I went into "save", got rid of the dummy save and chucked in all my old ones.

Now when I choose "Load" from the FOT main menu it locks up and gives me a deadshit error:

But if I take my old saves out and put the dummy one back in things work fine. I have a feeling I should've taken the whole "user" directory out, not just the saves, when I uninstalled last time but that won't help me now. Does anyone know what's going on or how I might fix it? I don't really want to start again.

Edit: I tried creating those three folders from scratch (not letting the game do it). My savegames didn't work but the dummy did. So do you think mine might be corrupted somehow or some shit?

Edit: No they aren't fucking corrupted. I tried putting in some older saves from 2003, ones where I had taken the whole "user" folder as well. Those didn't work. What the fuck is wrong with this piece of shit. I bet it's that $$current$$ folder. Games that have folders named "current" fuck up all the time and the folder is always the fucking problem. Anyone know what to do besides start a new game? I know it's a pretty fucking specific problem that might not have happened to anyone else before but what the hell. I thought I'd ask anyway.

By the way, I wasn't running the patch with these old savegames and I'm not running the patch now.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Re: Porting old saves into FOT

Post by Redeye »

Canis Lupus wrote:Hey guys. First of all I tried searching for this but you all probably know that phpBB's search function couldn't find north with a compass so it wasn't much good.

Just now I installed FOT and wanted to put in some of my old savegames to continue where I left off. I couldn't find the folder to put them in so I started a new game, made a save then went back to the directory to find where to go. So in this "user" directory there are three folders, "$$current$$", "char", and "save". So I went into "save", got rid of the dummy save and chucked in all my old ones.

Now when I choose "Load" from the FOT main menu it locks up and gives me a deadshit error:

But if I take my old saves out and put the dummy one back in things work fine. I have a feeling I should've taken the whole "user" directory out, not just the saves, when I uninstalled last time but that won't help me now. Does anyone know what's going on or how I might fix it? I don't really want to start again.

Edit: I tried creating those three folders from scratch (not letting the game do it). My savegames didn't work but the dummy did. So do you think mine might be corrupted somehow or some shit?

Edit: No they aren't fucking corrupted. I tried putting in some older saves from 2003, ones where I had taken the whole "user" folder as well. Those didn't work. What the fuck is wrong with this piece of shit. I bet it's that $$current$$ folder. Games that have folders named "current" fuck up all the time and the folder is always the fucking problem. Anyone know what to do besides start a new game? I know it's a pretty fucking specific problem that might not have happened to anyone else before but what the hell. I thought I'd ask anyway.

By the way, I wasn't running the patch with these old savegames and I'm not running the patch now.
install the patch mebbaye?
metallix
Regular
Regular

Post by metallix »

Fuck FOT, perhaps?
CRPG.ru Staff
Concept artist at VoodooFusion
TeamX :: CGSociety :: RPG Codex :: TCancer :: ZBrushCentral
AKA Atrokkus
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

metallix wrote:Fuck FOT, perhaps?
FOT has the best editor of all FO.

Why does it have to be for the shittiest game?
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Patch, probably. The saved games were incompatable between versions, if I recall.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
metallix
Regular
Regular

Post by metallix »

Well, in case you didn't know, FOT is not RPG at all. OK?
Unless, of course, you can make a good RPG with the editor, but I kind of doubt that...
CRPG.ru Staff
Concept artist at VoodooFusion
TeamX :: CGSociety :: RPG Codex :: TCancer :: ZBrushCentral
AKA Atrokkus
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Did you even read the line you quoted?
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Canis Lupus
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Canis Lupus »

Haha this place is still awesome.

I did a lot of frigging around without paying attention and it ended up working but now I don't know how I did it. Oh well.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

metallix wrote:
Well, in case you didn't know, FOT is not RPG at all. OK?
Unless, of course, you can make a good RPG with the editor, but I kind of doubt that...
I don't know if you can string parts together to make a campaigne.

Maybe "hollow out" the regular game and subst. shit.

I played a fun mod once that had grenade launchers in Modoc.
Chaos
Respected
Respected
Location: Somewhere, don't really know I got lost on the way to Vault 13.

Post by Chaos »

um...there have been many mods that have included campaigns...and also peeps have worked on selectable chat options
Soldier of the wastes. :gun:
Our Host!