A next generation Fallout engine: FIFE

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yeah, I'm really fond of your perversions as well. What the fuck is it that you guys do again? A watered-down Habbo Hotel?
mvBarracuda
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by mvBarracuda »

Hello and welcome to yet another FIFE news update!

This time we got quite some important news to announce: the FIFE-based real-time economy simulation and strategy game OpenAnno released its first public milestone recently. The primary purpose of this release is to show the framework in action and to attract some new interested developers for the OpenAnno project this way. Although there is rudimentary gameplay available, don't expect something too sophisticated our you'll end up disappointed. Their release comes in three flavours: precompiled binaries for 32 & 64bit Linux distros and a win32 installer:
* OpenAnno 2008.1 release download site

For the ones who want to get a first impression before downloading the release, there are screenshots and an official release trailer for your viewing pleasure :-)

Screenshot:

Release trailer:
* Low quality youtube version.
* High quality MKV version (H.264 + Ogg Vorbis >> Matroska container).

Read the full blog posting at the FIFE developer blog :-)
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Is this EVER coming out? You were working on it in 2003.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
mvBarracuda
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by mvBarracuda »

That's not true. We've been working on it since 1997, months before Duke Nukem Forever was announced. The sole purpose of this project is to increase my epenis on this forum by bloating my post count. Worked fine so far.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Well dont get offended.. I was just wondering.. I have been following you guys since IanOut back in the day.

Also.. Duke Nukem forever seemes to be completed soon... or not. How about you?
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
mvBarracuda
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by mvBarracuda »

I don't get offended :-) I just hate to answer these kind of questions. FIFE doesn't share one bit of code with ianout.

If you would have invested five minutes of your time you could find that kind of information at our wiki. Furthermore it's impossible for an open source project to be "completed". The current version of FIFE is stable enough to create games with it; that's what the OpenAnno and Zero-Projekt teams are doing.

There is surely always something to improve; that's the nature of open source software. So FIFE will never be finished. It's finished enough to create full-featured games with it and that's what matters from a developers point of view (who considers to utilize the engine).
mvBarracuda
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by mvBarracuda »

Hello and welcome to yet another FIFE news update :-)

When I decided to step back from my position as project manager of FIFE so I could focus on my studies and private life back in September last year, I was hoping to find a new developer who would overtake my tasks and act as new project manager of FIFE. Unfortunately there were no long waiting queues of volunteers who would have liked to jump into this effort right away. On the other side I didn't invest much time and effort into finding a replacement for me as I was preparing for my final Latin exams back then. So now that that I got some spare free time on my hands, I'll tell you how you can contribute to the future of the FIFE project.

LinuxDonald, the former project manager of the FIFE-based OpenAnno project, recently got in contact with me and volunteered for taking over the project management duties of FIFE. I was quite happy that he's interested in this position as that's a good chance to resume the development of the project, that is currently on halt. The idea to create a cross platform open source isometric 2d game engine is one that I still believe in; it's just that I lack the time and motivation to continue supporting this project by being responsible for a vast number of tasks. Therefore I would like to help handing over the project to an active development team as much as possible.

You want to know, what the fuzz is about all about? Read the full news at the FIFE developer blog.
inomel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by inomel »

The link is zapped. This project dead?
Appearing stupid is sexier than being stupid. Although I hear stoopid was a cut perk in fallout three, but was abandoned when the devs found out it could be simulated by simply playing the game...
mvBarracuda
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by mvBarracuda »

Nope, the blog just moved: http://www.fifengine.de

In about two weeks our new domain will be available as well. Stay tuned.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Keep me updated mvBarracuda. PM me news, and I'll post it on the main page.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
ekkaman
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by ekkaman »

Do they know of BryanRs work, he could get this moving along for em im sure.
mvBarracuda
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by mvBarracuda »

I'm not formally involved in FIFE anymore KingOfCreation. I've founded a FIFE-based RPG project about a year ago; check it out here: http://blog.parpg.net/

We plan to ship a first techdemo of it in mid March.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

VasikkA wrote:Pretty neat stuff.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

But is it useful? :?
mvBarracuda
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by mvBarracuda »

The engine or the game?

Usefulness usually lies in the eye of the observer. If you tell me how you would define usefulness in this context, I'll tell you if FIFE or PARPG meet these conditions.
inomel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by inomel »

Good to know FIFE still breathes. Looking forward to seeing it used in worthy hands.
Appearing stupid is sexier than being stupid. Although I hear stoopid was a cut perk in fallout three, but was abandoned when the devs found out it could be simulated by simply playing the game...
mvBarracuda
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by mvBarracuda »

The FIFE devs actually released their first stable release in over 1.5 years. The project has found a new maintainer and progresses quite well lately. Check out the details here:
http://fifengine.de/2010/01/20/fife-0-3-0-is-here/
mvBarracuda
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by mvBarracuda »

The first techdemo of PARPG is now available as well:
http://blog.parpg.net/2010/03/parpg-tec ... available/
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Nice.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Our Host!