Not enough hard disk space

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
Shin
SDF!
SDF!

Not enough hard disk space

Post by Shin »

My fallout 1 was working fine and dandy up until just lastnight when i tried to launch it, it says that it needs at least 20 Megabytes of hard drive space to run. The problem? i have Over 100 Megabytes free space on my hard disk. Im using XP.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

You seem to have messed up megas and gigas, because 100 Megabytes is chickenshit. Or are you talking about memory?

Fallout seems to have problems with certain XP computers. Mine runs well, though. Anyway, off the top of my head: reinstall the game with the Humongous installation option. Set your compatibility mode to Win 95 or Win 98(right click on Fallout desktop icon -> properties -> compatibility). Install the official patch.

EDIT: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5061
Shin
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shin »

How odd i did nothing to any of the Fallout folders and it just...started working again 8I and yeah i meant gigabytes :crazy:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Naw, you have to go into the .ini or something file and change some number from 20 or 40 to 0.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

If you only have 100 MB of freespace on your hard drive, it's time to upgrade. Get one of the new 750 GB ones or something.

Regardless, whats probably happening is your system is running out of virtual memory. You probably don't have enough RAM, so the overflow is being used up by the harddrive, and your pagefile isn't big enough.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

No, it's just a Fallout bug.
It's described on some installation instruction website.
I suppose it's in the nma link, as well.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Open up the fallout.cfg file, find the line "free_space=20480" and change it to "free_space=0".

You're set.
Our Host!