Quest Ideas / Quests setups

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
minigunwielder
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by minigunwielder »

Coherent sentences pleaes!
ESF morons keep stealing my damned Yahoo accounts.
:anger:
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

Mismatch wrote:
ExtremeRyno wrote:What in the hell is wrong with you people? Elections? Congressmen? Candidates? Sheesh. Take over the places through power or random acts of persuasion/kindness...But sounds like you guys are creating a democracy simulator.
I think we're talking about helping in the corridors of power, dont tell me that youve never wished that there was a way to help McClure to seize power from Lynette in VC?
I never wished that...I killed them all :hahano:
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

REGIN* FOR KING OF NORWAY!

http://forum.nwsgames.net/index.php
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Post by Fa11lloutfan_15 »

Blargh wrote:There was - Kill Lynette. Written upon a card through closure. :drunk:
It left too much to your imagination to be appealing to me, at the very least. So in the end, I just murdered them all in practically every session. Like everybody else... :sadblinky:
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

f3 should have something new for the kill all things quest. maybe an award ceremony or horde of fanbois annoying the player.
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

vx trauma wrote:f3 should have something new for the kill all things quest. maybe an award ceremony or horde of fanbois annoying the player.
"If you kill me, the Imperial Police will cease you!"

Ah, the post-apocalypse.
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

post-apocalypse includes gay gnomes? give the story writer a medal. and nagant neckshot.
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

vx trauma wrote:post-apocalypse includes gay gnomes? give the story writer a medal. and nagant neckshot.
It shouldn't. But I'm afraid it does. Well, at least this does. In all too great volumes.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Setup:

You log on to DAC, a bouquet of tubgirl and goatse mixed with vacuous spam and discussions with no apparent coherancy is all around. You are content.
Suddenly, you see this shit:
TinyTeeth wrote:
vx trauma wrote:f3 should have something new for the kill all things quest. maybe an award ceremony or horde of fanbois annoying the player.
"If you kill me, the Imperial Police will cease you!"

Ah, the post-apocalypse.
Enter TinyTeeth - with his pretentious babble and spam he destroys the whole forum by suggesting the banning of key alt-accounts that bring about much joy and happiness.

Forum members are in shock. Google image searches yield horrifying results, uncorrupted DACers hide, terrified, in their homes. Chaos is about. What to do? Despite the turmoil, our main character has a sober way of dealing with the menace---

Paths:

1. Ban TinyTeeth.
2. Ban TinyTeeth from the Internet.
3. Kill TinyTeeth, rape him, his family, his dog and his pig.
4. Send TinyTeeth to Nimbus III where he may be sodomized by Klingons in oblivion for all eternity.

Resolution:

1. DAC-mambers around the world rejoice, celebrating the victory over stupid jerks that invade legitimate forums. ~insert goatse~
2. Internauts around the world rejoice, celebrating the victory over stupid jerks that invade legitimate forums. ~insert tubgirl~
3. World peace is acheived. ~insert goatse, tubgirl~
4. World peace is acheived, Star Trek geeks are overjoyed. ~lemon party~
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Flattering to see someone this devoted to me.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

I still love you toothy.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Jesus Christ wrote:I still love you toothy.
Jesus Christ! I've missed you. :hug:
Scorpion
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Scorpion »

Quest one: Figure out quest
Quest two: Figure out quest one
Quest three: Figure out quest one
Quest four: Do quest one
Quest five: Figure out the result of doing quest one

With guns
DAC- For all your fallout needs.

^ No, it's not for all your fallout needs. I think this site attracts more swell guy, shitheads, losers, and thread-hijackers than it does Fallout fans. This site should be renamed the Steamy pile of Horse shit or aka SPHS- For all your not-Fallout needs.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Step 1 - Do quest A.
Step 2 - ???
Step 3 - Profit!
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

get / build a gasmask before the character inhales too much radioactive/harmful particles and dies.
TriangleDragon
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by TriangleDragon »

St. Toxic wrote:Setup: You wander into a worthless, shithole hicktown. The mayor is sitting outside a saloon and picking his teeth with a badger. He tells you that thirst is suffocating the town, as the only source of water is a small, radiated pond, fit enough for about half the population....

[blah blah blah]

This is exactly how it should be. Just take a simple idea and think of every possible path, and every outcome to that path. Implement the consequences into the bigger picture, thats the perfect method; What Toxic said is conclusive.

I'll try...
A slightly less significant quest/conversation....

-----

In the back alley of a large derelict city an old man emerges from underneath a pile of newspapers. He grabs your arm tightly and pleads for help... No one is around...

He explains that he owes a very powerful man, alot of money. He tells you that if he doesn't pay up soon his family will be murdered. In an attempt to save them he has gone into hiding, and told them to go far away; He shuffles out of the shadows and falls at your feet weeping...

-----

1.] You give the man a small amount of money, and tell him "...collect more elsewhere."
2.] You give the man a large amount of money, and tell him "...pay of your debts, find your family, and move out of the city."
3.] You tell him you have nothing to spare.
4.] You tell him you wont give him anything. But you offer to buy him into slavery "...it's the only way you can save your family."
5.] You tell him that you were looking for him, and that. "...we can do this the easy way... Or the hard way!"
6.] "...D-a-d-d-y?"
7.] (Perception check) Suspecting deciept, you tell him, firmly "...what do you really want my money for?"

-----

1.] You never hear from him again. No reputation/karma change. Some quests open because your a good-guy, others close for that same reason.
2.] You gain reputation for being gullible, but receive more good-guy points. Some quests open because your a nice guy, others close for that same reason. If these conditions are met, you'll meet him again in another backalley a few days later. He's taking drugs. Turns out he wasn't in debt, and if you don't kill the weasel, 'Quest B' opens up to help rid him of his drug addiction.
3.] You never hear from him again. No reputation change, slightly more evil karma. No change in quests.
4.] He runs away. You gain a little repuation as being a slaver. More evil karma points. Being known as a slaver in the local area opens up new quests, and closes others.
5.] Confused, he runs away. No rep change but some evil points are gained. Reputation for being thought of as an employee of a powerful mob boss grants slightly cheaper wares in local shops. Hurrah!
6.] He looks confused. There is an awkward silence. He waits for you to leave, and you never see him again. No rep/karma change. locals think your mentally retarded. Many quests close, and none open. Although some people are nicer to you. Some of the prostitutes and one shop owner give you a pity based discount. (These rumours are dispelled if the player demonstrates that he isn't stupid. Unless of course he is, or pretends to be.)
7.] The man changes into a defensive pose, and casually looks for a place to run if things get rough. After some additional persuasion, 'Quest B' opens up to help rid him of his drug addiction. You gain rep for being cunning, and, if you decide to accept 'Quest B' you gain a few good karma points. Aswell as some good-guy rep which opens up new quests but also closes others.

(edited for grammar)
(refined after suggestion)

Edit*
I've removed these dialogues since really they shouldn't be converstion options anyway. Although I'll leave them here since they are ways to "resolve" the quest...

8.] You mug him.
9.] You kill him. Laughing and screaming!

8.] The old cripple is no match... You leave him quivering in a puddle of his own urine. He didn't have any possessions so you took a handfull of his hair. You gain repuation for being a thug, considerable evil points. Many quests close because people are scared of you. Some new ones open because your a known crinimal.
9.] Reputation increases for being a murderer, since you were seen by a traumatized witness who now lives alone... Lots of evil points. Alot of quests close. One or two open because your a merciless bastard.
Last edited by TriangleDragon on Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

you & st. toxic should be hired to write dialogue trees for bethsoft. it's that kind of attention to detail that gets me all hot. :salute:
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

St. Toxic wrote:picking his teeth with a badger.
:aiee:
TriangleDragon
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by TriangleDragon »

atoga wrote:you & st. toxic should be hired to write dialogue trees for bethsoft. it's that kind of attention to detail that gets me all hot. :salute:
Ha, thanks. That would own. :rockon:
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

TriangleDragon wrote:I'll try...
Amazing stuff. Not only is the PC presented with false data ( for instance, I'd add "gullible" as a reputation for giving the addict max amount of dough ) but you had the "fun" option in there as well. A++

EDIT: Here's also a place for EMPATHY and PERCEPTION to come rolling in. *You notice that he's behaving strangely, and decide he isn't telling the truth*

Option X: "I'm not sure I'd buy into that. See ya."

Option Y: "Spill the beans old man, what's REALLY buggin' you?"

Honestly, from a designer perspective, I'd shorten these less "meaningful" interactions ( no offense, but y'know ) to, say, a 5-6 option maximum. 4 that are open for anybody, and 2 skill reliant. Actual quest situations would fare well with twice that amount, but be more reliant on skills. ( 4 options for anybody [[which could theoretically mean combat, which I count as a 'general skill' thing]], 8 skill reliant, or something like that )

If the same amount of detail is applied to each and every interaction, we'd probably get something along the lines of beth "Rumours" and "Imperial City" in the end. The 13 options you've presented there, could very well be used for say 3 npc interactions. ( Note: 13 is a pretty fitting number, isn't it, a' the Vault 13. :M Time for a game conception cult. )
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

kontact bethesda and make em an offer. for fun and profit, ja?
Our Host!